DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

deandre730a.jpg

OK, is it just me, or does that pic look like the type of close season 'leaked-kit' pic you see posted on the internet by someone working for the kit manufacturers in **... **insert name of far-flung Country here?

Interesting to see how this all plays out. I imagine he'll get some early FA Cup matches or maybe some late substitutions in Europa.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if he's loaned out next season.

bought to sell shirts
So he'll sell a grand total of 1,000 shirts from the American support from Seattle. That's nothing to write home about.

Why are some of you guys so pessimistic about Yedlin? He's a young and very talented player, we got one from Sporting in Dier that I didn't hear anyone say we did because of shirt sales.

I'm glad he's coming because if Walker gets injured we need someone better at RB than we currently have in reserve. Naughton is a pile of poo. Dier is a CB.

But I think people are well overestimating this guy at this stage. He has pace, clearly. But beyond that, nothing really stands out as really class. The gulf between the US league and the Premiership is vast. VAST.
I really hope he comes here and does fantastically well, but we will have to wait and see. Equally possible is that he will no better than Naughton, or most likely in my view, just be an occational replacement for Walker when he is injured for short periods or needs a rest.

I see nothing to suggest that he is worth all the superlatives that many Tottenham fans give him before he has even kicked a ball in England.

I'm glad he's coming because if Walker gets injured we need someone better at RB than we currently have in reserve. Naughton is a pile of poo. Dier is a CB.

But I think people are well overestimating this guy at this stage. He has pace, clearly. But beyond that, nothing really stands out as really class. The gulf between the US league and the Premiership is vast. VAST.
I really hope he comes here and does fantastically well, but we will have to wait and see. Equally possible is that he will no better than Naughton, or most likely in my view, just be an occational replacement for Walker when he is injured for short periods or needs a rest.

I see nothing to suggest that he is worth all the superlatives that many Tottenham fans give him before he has even kicked a ball in England.
It is because he had a good world cup

The technical gulf is huge, players who have the ability to pull off skillz at a high tempo or pace but the physical gulf isn't big at all. The refs are diabolical in mls. This kid is an enigma though with his pace and physicality so he really is an exciting prospect, it's his technical side we'll have to see develop alot and how fast he thinks. I've a feeling he's not far off a premier league caliber player.

I suspect from your name that you already know this, but there are a lot more Americans with high hopes for Yedlin than just Sounders hipste....erm, supporters.
I'm not saying only 1,000 Americans are rooting for him to succeed in America. Everyone who pays attention to American soccer is probably hoping for his success my comment was in regards to the bullshit shirt sales comment. If Levy bought him for shirt sales that was a stupid move, but that wasn't the case. I suspect American Spurs supporters that like Yedlin but doesn't have a EPL affiliation might get a Yedlin kit sure. But some guy from dude from Everett, WA that loves Yedlin but also supports Chelsea isn't going to all of a sudden buy a Spurs kit. That's my point.

The technical gulf is huge, players who have the ability to pull off skillz at a high tempo or pace but the physical gulf isn't big at all. The refs are diabolical in mls. This kid is an enigma though with his pace and physicality so he really is an exciting prospect, it's his technical side we'll have to see develop alot and how fast he thinks. I've a feeling he's not far off a premier league caliber player.

I agree that the physical side isn't too different and this guy is clearly a great athlete. But in other areas there is a big difference and it's not just about his game and whether he can adapt and get better technically but its also the higher level of the opposition that he's going to have to play against.

Hopefully his talent and the good coaching, facilities and the players around him will allow him to continue developing well.

I think Yedlin has a ton of potential, but again, at this point Naughton, Dier and even Vlad are better options at RB than DeAndre is. Needs to spend this spring practicing with the team and under Poch, assess this summer to see if he's worth a roster spot already for 2015/16 or get him a loan spell.

I'll believe that when I see it.

If you watch Spurs andthe Premier League with any regularity and also watch DeAndre in the MLS then you have seen it. Even in the MLS he was raw and sometimes out of his depth defensively. I'm surprised that anybody who has watched him play often would think he should be plugged in in a Premier League game at this point.

Back
Top Bottom