Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Full Pochettino press conference ahead of tomorrow's game.

From 15:20, he's asked about how we've only kept one clean sheet since January, and whether he'd want to defend more to shut up shop in a match...

And nope, he just says that he wants to attack all the time.

We are quickly becoming the anti-Chelsea, and I fucking love it. Danny boy made a good call with this one.
:levywhoa::pochohshit:

Nice read, nothing new, but nice to see articles pop up in a higher frequency, which are focused on the footballing part of things - and positive too! Technicly I guess the article is about Levy too, but it doesn't take a stab at him or the club, wow. Positive vibes are floving in a degree so that the neutral observer/columnist/fan starts giving credit where credit is due - I am loving it!

On the Poch side of things, I actually think (read: hope) he has 'added a layer' to his way of doing things. I remember an interview with him where he answers a question about coming into a new setup (think it was early days), with a grin, going something like "well, we laugh at it [the trainer team], because we have just done it last season [with succes]" (of course in his lovable laugh after it being translated, with a big grin).

Added a layer you say?

Yes, but bare in mind I didn't follow him that closely before he arrived here for some reason... I think, he is a proffessional to the bone (ex-player and all), and saw great possibillities here. But I also think he was supriesed by a few things - positively. Just speculating, but the quality of the academy players and facilities would be 1, added attention, Levy, existing squad, competing in more compettitions etc would be 2,3,4,n.

Once again I am probably hoping and speculating more than talking facts (doh), but his attitude lately, that of the team, the club and the fans (!) must have him believing in a long term project being plausable, despite the club track record of later years.

So the layer: I think his "lost in translation" charm, is a very deliberate move in order to protect the squad and deviate whatever he feels like in order to control press conferences. Without comming off as a Morinho joke as well. Or at least I didn't notice earlier :)

Anyways, back to the article! This actually made me laugh:
Pochettino’s influence and guidance helped Luke Shaw secure a £27million summer move to United, but the left-back has looked a shadow of the marauding Southampton youngster under Van Gaal.

During Monday night’s FA Cup quarter-final against Woolwich, Shaw appeared to be consumed by fear and confused by his instructions before being replaced at half-time in what was another blow to the 19-year-old’s confidence.

Poch is talking to our young players:
Giving them the benefit of his worldly experience!
p02knxnj.jpg

I like and support most of what Poch is doing, but he ruins so much for himself and the team by including players that are utterly useless at times. Townsend now, for the last few games, and Adebayor for 9 games or so in the beginning of the season.

Today was the 6th time we've conceded 3 or more in a league game this season, Burnley are the only team who've done this more, and the 4th time we've lost by a margin of 3 or more as well, something only Villa have equalled.

Today was the 6th time we've conceded 3 or more in a league game this season, Burnley are the only team who've done this more, and the 4th time we've lost by a margin of 3 or more as well, something only Villa have equalled.
LvG in

We have one of the worst defences in the league. I think a bit more steel in midfield will help a lot, but there are issues with the back four too. Performances swing way too much.

This season has been the season for Poch just to get to know the squad, found out its deficiencies etc. Once he has a full summer with the new head of recruitment, he'll have the squad he wants and I say there's no reason why we won't get top 4 next season. He's done incredibly well with what he's been left with from the Tim/AVB era, now if he gets the financial backing he needs, the sky's the limit.

This season has been the season for Poch just to get to know the squad, found out its deficiencies etc. Once he has a full summer with the new head of recruitment, he'll have the squad he wants and I say there's no reason why we won't get top 4 next season. He's done incredibly well with what he's been left with from the Tim/AVB era, now if he gets the financial backing he needs, the sky's the limit.
Sadly, the evidence today suggests Poch might end up 7th & more than 10 points off Top 4 and that would be worse than Tim & far worse than AVB. I honestly find the past month so depressing, because it's possible to feel the hope again, but today is inexplicable AGAIN & the worry is that if it all implodes where does that leave us ?

Sick of reading negative bollocks. Poch has reignited my love for Spurs. He's got us playing decent football, he's giving the club identity by putting faith in lads from the academy and he's done a very good job in his first season with; lets face it, a pretty average team. We've got a few players that are world class, but if we're honest, the majority of our team isn't. Pochettino is making those average players play well. Bentaleb is going to be an absolute animal in a few years and I'm semi-erect just thinking about it. If Kane can push on next season and build on this season's success then he'll be a champ as well.

We're not United. We're not City. We're not Chelsea and we're definitely not the fu**ing scum. We don't have money to chuck at shiny new toys every transfer window. We've got one of, if not the best academies in Britain and we're producing quality young players. I want to see these lads given a proper chance in the first team. Pritchard's got to be next in my eyes. Even if we fall short I'd rather that then see us chuck £40m on players who may or may not pay off.

It's like having a rough bird who you know wants your slice. You could slap a bit of make-up on her and encourage her to diet in hope that she'll reach 8/10 then give her a bashing. Or go out and spend £250 on some foreign prossie who may or may not be good in the sack/might have genital warts. At least if we give our own lads a try, if it doesn't work out we haven't lost a shit ton of money on rubbish prostitutes. COME ON YOU SPURS.

We've got a few players that are world class, but if we're honest, the majority of our team isn't. Pochettino is making those average players play well.

Do you think our first team is too good for Adebayor, Dembele, Capoue, Fazio, Vlad, Stambouli and Kaboul to feature more, or at all in some cases?

Fact is, he is still picking certain shit players every week, and they play as shit every week but never lose their place in the team.

It has to be addressed that we have seven players, of first choice quality on their day who either warm the bench or have literally dissapeard off the face of the earth while we are struggling with knackered and/or totally inept players.
And why? Because Poch doesnt have the flexibility to change it up.

Is Ade a far superior footballer to Townsend? Yes
Dembele to Lamela...? Yes
But we cant figure out a system to actually utilise our best payers? Madness.

We have seen Capoue play superbly in the middle and boss the midfield this season, but we will not rest Mason, who is no more than a slightly above average young player in his first season. Why is he playing every possible second?

Where is Stambouli? He filled in and done a fine job when Bentaleb was away, now he doesnt even make the bench.

Why was our best CB pairing dismantled to give a Dier games over Fazio?

Why did we buy Yedlin?

Fucking nonsense how rigid and fixed our team has become.

I totally expect that there will be a barrage of responses about how "we dont what goes on behind the scenes" etc....well, yes, thats true. So why assume its anything but tactical then?

Last edited:
Do you think our first team is too good for Adebayor, Dembele, Capoue, Fazio, Vlad, Stambouli and Kaboul to feature more, or at all in some cases?

Fact is, he is still picking certain shit players every week, and they play as shit every week but never lose their place in the team.

It has to be addressed that we have seven players, of first choice quality on their day who either warm the bench or have literally dissapeard off the face of the earth while we are struggling with knackered and/or totally inept players.
And why? Because Poch doesnt have the flexibility to change it up.

Is Ade a far superior footballer to Townsend? Yes
Dembele to Lamela...? Yes
But we cant figure out a system to actually utilise our best payers? Madness.

We have seen Capoue play superbly in the middle and boss the midfield this season, but we will not rest Mason, who is no more than a slightly above average young player in his first season. Why is he playing every possible second?

Where is Stambouli? He filled in and done a fine job when Bentaleb was away, now he doesnt even make the bench.

Why was our best CB pairing dismantled to give a Dier games over Fazio?

Why did we buy Yedlin?

Fucking nonsense how rigid and fixed our team has become.
Capoue had a good game against QPR, apart from that I can't remember any other good performances

Back
Top Bottom