Zero Debt

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you happy with the transfer strategy of ENIC?

• Yes

Votes: 48 53.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I don't know and I don't care. This is a stupid poll.

Votes: 13 14.6%

• Total voters
Recently we have posted record income and have officially closed out our debt leading us to be only one of the two clubs in the premier league to be debt free. (Swansea being the other one!)

This is an incredible achievement considering how much money we have definitely spent on the overall architecture of the club, the players we have invested in and how close we have been challenging for the top four the past decade inspite of the clubs like Chelsea spending way beyond their means and have racked up a billion in debt.

While as supporters we can't necessarily all be excited about the club being in zero debt while we are going through one of our worst trophies record under a club ownership, we should realise that this is nothing short of extra-ordinary!

:levylol:

My only regret is that one or two key signings have been missed due to our prudent nature which might have paid off big time if they managed to make us champions league regulars! A little risk taking there could have paid off quite well, but no point dwelling in the past.

Hope we kick on from this, get rid of players we don't need and sign players to improve the first team with academy guys providing the required backup.

A stadium is also all set to be built and under ENIC, we are in safe hands (at least financially!).
Also, why on earth are there no Ginola smilies? He is perhaps the best looking bloke who has played for Spurs!

2714DD0400000578-0-image-a-24_1427588810873.jpg

Recently we have posted record income and have officially closed out our debt leading us to be only one of the two clubs in the premier league to be debt free. (Swansea being the other one!)

This is an incredible achievement considering how much money we have definitely spent on the overall architecture of the club, the players we have invested in and how close we have been challenging for the top four the past decade inspite of the clubs like Chelsea spending way beyond their means and have racked up a billion in debt.

While as supporters we can't necessarily all be excited about the club being in zero debt while we are going through one of our worst trophies record under a club ownership, we should realise that this is nothing short of extra-ordinary!

:levylol:

My only regret is that one or two key signings have been missed due to our prudent nature which might have paid off big time if they managed to make us champions league regulars! A little risk taking there could have paid off quite well, but no point dwelling in the past.

Hope we kick on from this, get rid of players we don't need and sign players to improve the first team with academy guys providing the required backup.

A stadium is also all set to be built and under ENIC, we are in safe hands (at least financially!).
Also, why on earth are there no Ginola smilies? He is perhaps the best looking bloke who has played for Spurs!

Love abramovich to do a runner and leave them with a billion on their own.

Wow had no idea Chelsea had run up that much debt! How is that possible/allowed?
To be fair that debt is actually an interest free loan owed to Abramovich...apparently he has to give them 18 months notice if he wants to claim it back...which isn't really much comfort.

Yet this summer when someone suggests that we spend 25m on a player I guarantee there will be a response saying, "Do you really want us to do a Leeds?!"

Zero debt is a good thing is a good thing if you think the new stadium is necessary for the future viability of the club. Allows us to drive a harder bargain and demand more attractive loan terms for the financing of the new stadium than if there were competing debt obligations outstanding.

And for those of you that believe debt is a measure of ambition, you can relax; that debt figure is set to shoot up by a few hundred million by the time next year's financial figures are released. Just be patient...

Yet this summer when someone suggests that we spend 25m on a player I guarantee there will be a response saying, "Do you really want us to do a Leeds?!"

As Yorkshire_Spurs Yorkshire_Spurs said we should be making £50 million from about 7-8 sales this summer.

The main issue as far as I can see is updating our purchasing model to reflect a team chasing top 4 and not just surviving relegation, we have to move away from knock down haggle deals like stambouli and Fazio and look at only top quality.

Two £30 million players are more likely to get us top four than 5 £5 million average players. Most Top 4 teams have about 4-5 top class players they can rely on, we have perhaps 2-3 of that level.

As Yorkshire_Spurs Yorkshire_Spurs said we should be making £50 million from about 7-8 sales this summer.

The main issue as far as I can see is updating our purchasing model to reflect a team chasing top 4 and not just surviving relegation, we have to move away from knock down haggle deals like stambouli and Fazio and look at only top quality.

Two £30 million players are more likely to get us top four than 5 £5 million average players. Most Top 4 teams have about 4-5 top class players they can rely on, we have perhaps 2-3 of that level.

Yeah agree. As we have seen the academy can do just as well, if not better than these cheaper buys. Something like the below in my opinion could allow us to compete better.

Wimmer £5mil
Alderwield £10mil
Ings £5mil

+ 2 £20-25mil players. CM / AM

£50-60mil spent.

Ali / Fredericks / Yedlin / Pritchard etc to come in also.

If I were a Villa fan, I'd be sweating my balls off right now, considering they are only three points off the relegation zone.

Leicester looks right fucked.

The highest: Chavs £958m, followed by: Man U £342m, Woolwich £240m, Newcastle £129 and Spammers £110m debt !
That's very interesting? You could say it pays for 3 of those, the other basically gives away it's tickets but what's the excuse from the well supported, non spending, taxpayer funded stadium Spam?

Chelsea are in a billion quid debt? absurd they should go into liquidation until at least 80% of this is settled. just shows you the old phrase 'if you owe the bank 10K$ you work for the bank, if you owe the bank a million $ the bank works for you' is spot on.
The FA\UEFA\PL should address this in a stricter way than the fair play laws, this really is unfair to clubs like us who are trying to maintain a stable business and playing it fair.

on a side note: more than 1 season outside of the EPL could get clubs like QPR\wet spam\NUFC\Leicester bankrupt

Back
Top Bottom