'Highest ever profit by English Club' - Guardian on us

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nah.. your wrong there mate. Tottenham Hotspur is not the same as 100 other clubs. And our expectations should be higher. We are fucking Spurs mate. We're a class apart. We should always be aiming for the stars. Better to fail aiming high, than succeed aiming low. As I said, We're fucking Spurs, and we should never be happy to accept being also rans
No but, sentiment aside... we are. We're exactly the same as the 100 other clubs. We're all just football clubs, that exist to play football. We may have an ethos and an identity... but then so do all the other clubs.
I dont understand why we're so special? We're not the most successful in the league. The Fa cup or the league cup. We've done pretty well in europe... but Liverpool have won the champions league or it's equivalents 5 times. We've not even been in the competition five times.

I love Tottenham, i really do. I couldn't support any other club. Without tottenham, i would have a casual interest in football at most. But you, and Castro, and Greaves, you seem to be judging the club as a failure because you're comparing it to your own internal impossible standards. Thats... Kinda stupid.

you know what you said, and why you said it.
and you know why I responded in the way I did.
so yes - your bad
Erm, i honestly really don't? I literally have no idea what you mean.

My interpretation is that.. you take offence to me saying the game has moved on in the last 20 years and that some of the older people on here are still judging modern football in the present day, by the standards of the 60's 70's and 80's. Which to me, is ridiculous. Had you guys even heard of a billion in the 60's? Lets alone seen football teams spending one willy nilly.

What i said was in response to fidel castro saying everything he loved about spurs... was things that happened more than 20 years ago. I think its a valid point that the club and the nature of the game in general is very different now. Its like John Thomas saying we should be the best club in the country. Yeah, we should be aiming for it... but we haven't won the league in 54 years. Thats 54 attempts at being the best in the country failed. At what point do we all admit that... we aren't the best in the country, and we aren't going to be any time soon. I can admit that. Im very realistic. I don't look at football like a wide eyed little boy, i look at it in the very real terms of what it was, what its become and what it will be.

I love the Bill Nicholson quotes, its history. In that respect we do have a rich history. Better than many. And that is something to be proud of, and it is something that sets us apart. But it doesnt put money in the bank, or trophies in the cabinet. Us all saying "But we're tottenham Hotspur we should be aiming to win the league" isn't going to make it so? And really, its just not true. We aren't realistically fighting to win the league. But that doesnt mean we don't try and win every game. Every single football team does. (well, apart from the bent ones obviously). West Brom don't start the season aiming to win the league, but it doesnt mean they don't want to. And it doesnt mean they don't go out 38 times a season with the intention of getting 3 points.

I don't know. Feel free to explain your point. No need to be so cryptic.

Erm, i honestly really don't? I literally have no idea what you mean.

My interpretation is that.. you take offence to me saying the game has moved on in the last 20 years and that some of the older people on here are still judging modern football in the present day, by the standards of the 60's 70's and 80's. Which to me, is ridiculous. Had you guys even heard of a billion in the 60's? Lets alone seen football teams spending one willy nilly.

What i said was in response to fidel castro saying everything he loved about spurs... was things that happened more than 20 years ago. I think its a valid point that the club and the nature of the game in general is very different now. Its like John Thomas saying we should be the best club in the country. Yeah, we should be aiming for it... but we haven't won the league in 54 years. Thats 54 attempts at being the best in the country failed. At what point do we all admit that... we aren't the best in the country, and we aren't going to be any time soon. I can admit that. Im very realistic. I don't look at football like a wide eyed little boy, i look at it in the very real terms of what it was, what its become and what it will be.

I love the Bill Nicholson quotes, its history. In that respect we do have a rich history. Better than many. And that is something to be proud of, and it is something that sets us apart. But it doesnt put money in the bank, or trophies in the cabinet. Us all saying "But we're tottenham Hotspur we should be aiming to win the league" isn't going to make it so? And really, its just not true. We aren't realistically fighting to win the league. But that doesnt mean we don't try and win every game. Every single football team does. (well, apart from the bent ones obviously). West Brom don't start the season aiming to win the league, but it doesnt mean they don't want to. And it doesnt mean they don't go out 38 times a season with the intention of getting 3 points.

I don't know. Feel free to explain your point. No need to be so cryptic.
I couldn't agree more, with pretty much everything that you just said, as it happens.
I didn't have any issues with the majority of your earlier comments either.
only about the patronising line about the game having passed him by.
It may distress you to learn that I actually think you're a pretty decent poster for the most part, but your descents into ageist attempts at put downs and your continual, unprovoked (to any recollection of mine) abuse of me on a personal level don't exactly make me feel benevolent to your excesses.

I couldn't agree more, with pretty much everything that you just said, as it happens.
It may distress you to learn that I actually think you're a pretty decent poster for the most part, but your descents into ageist attempts at put downs and your continual, unprovoked (to any recollection of mine) abuse of me on a personal level don't exactly make me feel benevolent to your excesses.
It wasn't meant as ageist, it was a genuine comment. He strikes me as being stuck in the past, unable to embrace the modern game. All his complaints, and its the same with greaves, lack context, because they're looking at it from a perspective that no longer exists. In that respect, the game has very much passed him by. Its only natural, no doubt its the same with other aspects of life, and no doubt i'll be the same when my time comes.

As for the "put downs" i don't consider them unprovoked. There was a reason. When you first signed up you came across as a prick. i don't remember the full extent. Its not like I'm the only person here that has ever found you... i dunno, annoying? I just have no time for subtlety. I call a spade a spade and a cunt a cunt.

Mick,
To be fair to Anthony , even if irony is not a strongpoint, I think we are as bad as each other . The puts downs are very
obvious and you can see them coming but overall good natured . Schoolboy
silliness on both parts .

With Greavisie , I agree they can be very abusive at times .They would be considered
offensive in the real world or at there extreme verbal bullying. I am sure
Greavisie is to much of a gentlemen to make such an issue of this . Calling proudly
a " cunt a cunt " or a "Spade a Spade " according to the judgement , logic and law of
Anthony is rather self important ,archaic, crude and juvenile.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Fidel.

In the past on forums I've got involved in plenty of slanging matches, but these days I can't be bothered so just ignore it for the most part. But certainly the disgusting abuse people like AB and others aim at me is something they should be thoroughly ashamed of. Hopefully one day they'll look back on this episode in their lives, and realise how badly they have behaved.

Nah.. your wrong there mate. Tottenham Hotspur is not the same as 100 other clubs. And our expectations should be higher. We are fucking Spurs mate. We're a class apart. We should always be aiming for the stars. Better to fail aiming high, than succeed aiming low. As I said, We're fucking Spurs, and we should never be happy to accept being also rans

Be careful, a lot of this wouldn't look out of place on RAWK Meltdown or the Lollerpool thread...

In the past on forums I've got involved in plenty of slanging matches, but these days I can't be bothered so just ignore it for the most part. But certainly the disgusting abuse people like AB and others aim at me is something they should be thoroughly ashamed of. Hopefully one day they'll look back on this episode in their lives, and realise how badly they have behaved.
The bit that makes me laugh is the "old man" comments, as if young men making carping comments about age as if it were a human failing. I did it - and now here I am getting it back, mostly its just funny - as it shows a limitation in peoples ability to be rude without any innovation.
The other thing that is really funny is the perception that you have learned nothing as you walk through life - and that the new generation of humans have invented everything thats good, whilst we simply see everything in black and white and want to keep slaves.
Oh that and the fact that you must obviously be suffering from senile dementia and be infirm.
I always know when I'm getting the upper hand in any debate or discussion when that stuff gets trotted out (along with the cunt factor rising exponentially)
and the world turns one more time........

It wasn't meant as ageist, it was a genuine comment. He strikes me as being stuck in the past, unable to embrace the modern game. All his complaints, and its the same with greaves, lack context, because they're looking at it from a perspective that no longer exists. In that respect, the game has very much passed him by. Its only natural, no doubt its the same with other aspects of life, and no doubt i'll be the same when my time comes.

As for the "put downs" i don't consider them unprovoked. There was a reason. When you first signed up you came across as a prick. i don't remember the full extent. Its not like I'm the only person here that has ever found you... i dunno, annoying? I just have no time for subtlety. I call a spade a spade and a cunt a cunt.
have you ever stopped to consider how you come across?
glass houses, and all that.

Unfortunately it all went wrong for us the season when the scum bought Dennis Bergkamp, a Tottenham fan, and we bought Chris Armstrong. The penny pinching started then and we have trailed in their wake ever since. they built a stadium off the back of it and we got ENIC.

It used to be the case that we plundered the best the WC offered but from that WC on we just fed from the scraps. Of course we have had brilliant players sign for us, but sadly and exclusively anyone that reached that pinnacle were sold. And quickly at a massive profit. We are now a feeder club.

The cleverer clubs realised the riches the CL would bring and gambled on it. There were casualties such as Leeds and lucky fuckers like Chelsea but only us with our great name in Europe and past history decided the best policy was to 'not get involved' if you look at the top 14 clubs in the elite European football teams' Deloitte money list it's only us that have never had a proper run of seasons in the CL.

That says a lot to me about the owners strategy and ambition.

The cleverer clubs realised the riches the CL would bring and gambled on it. There were casualties such as Leeds and lucky fuckers like Chelsea

If it were a straight 50-50 shot between ending up like Leeds or Woolwich (bearing in mind Chelsea's results are nothing to do with UCL money), would you really take that gamble on the club?

Forgetting for a moment the 1998-2008 era, right now Woolwich are basically one place better off than us, whereas Leeds have spent a decade in the lower divisions.

Is that worth the gamble?

If it were a straight 50-50 shot between ending up like Leeds or Woolwich (bearing in mind Chelsea's results are nothing to do with UCL money), would you really take that gamble on the club?

Forgetting for a moment the 1998-2008 era, right now Woolwich are basically one place better off than us, whereas Leeds have spent a decade in the lower divisions.

It wasn't a gamble in my mind though. If I recall correctly we paid 4.8m for Armstrong and they paid something like 7.2m for Bergkamp. I suspect wages were also a factor, but look what it achieved...Don't get me wrong, I always want to buy English, I want England to perform well on the international stage. I like that we give future England players an opportunity and the chance to play in their own league. But we will always be solvent. So this isn't an argument to me. I'm not talking City or chav wages but we don't do too bad. And btw, these oil gangsters wernt around then. There are too many of us willing to go and pay the highest pound for pound season tickets in the world for us to go bust. ENIC knows this.

As for you comparing us to the scum is a joke. They are 200m ahead of us in the ffp scale of wages because we were failed long ago by various owners.

Scholar was our Dein. Look where those cunts are now.

Balloon knot.

That one place is the difference of an extra 70m btw.

Hahahaha! Im not ashamed at all, I'm actually proud. Like someone once said

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing

You're a fucking moron, you spout nonsense and i don't want to see that nonsense being passed on. If it was just me doing it, id think maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I'm not the good man here. But its not. The fact that you have to block everyone that disagrees with you, shows that... maybe you're wrong a lot?

I will never look back and be ashamed. I promise you that. Mostly because you don't even factor into my life. I don't think "Oh maybe i shouldn't have said that to that stranger on the internet". I simply don't care. If you want to talk shit, be ignorant, and blindly follow your own opinions without regard for when people give you evidence to the contrary, then fine. Do that. Carry on. But please accept, that you are going to get called out for it. And i am going to call you out for it.

Your little act, of blocking everyone that disagrees with you, is far more childish. All you do is stick your fingers in your ear and say lalalalala I'm not listening. Thats childish. Its pathetic. You're a fucking grown man. And old man as well. Clearly you've learnt fuck all from your long time on this planet.

The bit that makes me laugh is the "old man" comments, as if young men making carping comments about age as if it were a human failing. I did it - and now here I am getting it back, mostly its just funny - as it shows a limitation in peoples ability to be rude without any innovation.
The other thing that is really funny is the perception that you have learned nothing as you walk through life - and that the new generation of humans have invented everything thats good, whilst we simply see everything in black and white and want to keep slaves.
Oh that and the fact that you must obviously be suffering from senile dementia and be infirm.
I always know when I'm getting the upper hand in any debate or discussion when that stuff gets trotted out (along with the cunt factor rising exponentially)
and the world turns one more time........
Well said Mick. It is absolutely wrong to attack people just because they're of 'advanced years'. :)
Judge by what people say, not by the calendar.

Of course my age almost certainly does mean I look at Spurs in a different way to someone much younger than me, and both parties have to make respective allowances for different perceptions.

I remember the 'Tottenham Way' as buying success, buying the glamour stars/big price tickets like Blanchflower, Greaves, Smith, Mackay, Jones, Gilzean, Chivers, even as late as Gazza, Waddle and Lineker.

When we were one of the main players, a world ahead of Chelsea and City. When indeed in the 60s we were far more glamorous and successful than Woolwich (5 trophies to their zero).

So for sure I'm liable not to as happy with one League Cup in 15 years under ENIC as maybe some of the younger ones, who have never seen us as being the glamour team of London and a real powerhouse in English football.

Back
Top Bottom