Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And with this, Dier can play in the middle and not be required for Europa League at full back barring an injury crisis.

Dier getting a run consistently at CB is another good thing to come out of this transfer, agreed.

One niggling issue: Trippier is a modern full back in the sense that he will want to get forward at every opportunity. Not so much of a problem with a defensively minded set up like Burnley, but it's no coincidence that Walker's best performance's came when he had excellent cover in the form of Lennon if the overlap didn't work out and we lost possession.

We don't have that anymore and where exposed time and time again down the wings last season. Without traditional wingers does it fall to the responsibility of one of the back 2 midfielders to slot in?

Another reason that a properly disciplined DM has to be a priority if we don't want to carry on shipping goals next season.

I find it hard to believe that no-one at the club has recognised our midfield is lacking a real ball winner, Mason and Bentaleb have games where they're dominant and then other games where they completely over run.

CHs8nHpWUAAxp_N.jpg

better than Clyne :pochsmirk:

I find it hard to believe that no-one at the club has recognised our midfield is lacking a real ball winner, Mason and Bentaleb have games where they're dominant and then other games where they completely over run.

I think they probably do know that we need to improve in that area.

The issue seems to me (speculation alert!) that our current philosophy asks players in that position to also be able to pick out a pass and "recycle" the ball quickly and efficiently. A player of that calibre is not as easy to find as one that just mops up. Palacios did that job for us fairly well for a season or two.

I think Mason is a bit light in the physical aspect and his precence is often lacking. Bentaleb has all the tools to be a ball winner being such an all round footballer and being very strong and quick but then you would lose alot of the potential attacking skills he also has if you moved him towards this role.

You don't alway need a ball winner to control a midfield, Carrick and Modric I think shows that clearly but we have perhaps two routes. We can go for a Schniederlin type player, a powerful ball winner, I know we have been linked with Kramer for example. Alternatively we can get someone like Cabaye, he won't win as many balls as Kramer but he can run a midfield with his passing and intelligent play thus keeping the opposition on the back foot most of the time.

Dier getting a run consistently at CB is another good thing to come out of this transfer, agreed.

One niggling issue: Trippier is a modern full back in the sense that he will want to get forward at every opportunity. Not so much of a problem with a defensively minded set up like Burnley, but it's no coincidence that Walker's best performance's came when he had excellent cover in the form of Lennon if the overlap didn't work out and we lost possession.

We don't have that anymore and where exposed time and time again down the wings last season. Without traditional wingers does it fall to the responsibility of one of the back 2 midfielders to slot in?

Another reason that a properly disciplined DM has to be a priority if we don't want to carry on shipping goals next season.
Poch has it covered. By bringing in a CDM whoever it may be, the full backs can get forward and support the wingers while the CDM player drops back in between the CB's to form a back 3 when we're on the attack.

Poch has it covered. By bringing in a CDM whoever it may be, the full backs can get forward and support the wingers while the CDM player drops back in between the CB's to form a back 3 when we're on the attack.

Agreed.... Just the small issue of finding said multitalented player that is top 4 quality, happy with less than 75k a week and is willing to play for a team not in the CL.

EDIT: Oh and i forgot - Whose club are willing to take 25% less than their valuation for them.

Easy Peasey Daniel Levy.

:pochsulk::levyeyes:

Last edited:
It's been said already but if Trippier has the same effect on Walker as Davies did on Rose then I would be ecstatic. Though Walkers form has been dictated by his injuries in the last year, he's not had much luck and I think he was fantastic for us the season before last whereas Rose elevated his entire game. Good signing though, so frustrating watching Dier play there last year when when he should be partnering Jan.

It seems some people need to realise that there is a world of football outside of the CL and the Hollywood pretty Boy clubs..

Just because he isn't on the front cover of FIFA 16, or he can't whistle the theme tune of the CL music, doesn't mean he's not a good player..

This is a good signing if it comes off.

Woolwich fans stamp their feet if they don't make CL signings, looks like we have a few as well..

Last edited:
TBH, every game where we are not allowed to tiki-taka the ball around, Bentaleb and Mason tends to be run over.

Back
Top Bottom