Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
No doubt his performances have been disappointing over the last year. However he has speed, can beat players,tracks back and has a good shot. I thought he was starting to reduce the number of shots ending up in row Z. I think he offers something different to some of the other players and would prefer him on the bench when we need a goal than some others.
If he stays he needs to be brought on, to give him another stay,

No doubt his performances have been disappointing over the last year. However he has speed, can beat players,tracks back and has a good shot. I thought he was starting to reduce the number of shots ending up in row Z. I think he offers something different to some of the other players and would prefer him on the bench when we need a goal than some others.
If he stays he needs to be brought on, to give him another stay,

Are his row X shots any better though?

trouble with loaning AT to any PL team is that he could drop in value if he doesn't perform. If we want to spend £20m on one player then it's reliant on AT being sold. If he had a future at the club he would be getting game time. He unfortunately burnt his bridges with his tardy public behaviour. I would love him to come good but I just cannot see it happening. With other players I have seen improvement in areas they were uncomfortable with. I haven't with andros.

I think AT knew he wasn't Poch's cup of tea for a while. Could be the reason behind his loss of temper, as from what I've seen of him in interviews, he is a good chap, just frustrated being out the side.
I hope for his sake he gets a move as he has talent but doesn't fit Poch's style of play.

Levy, Poch and Townsend need to have a little more respect towards one another! Townsend is not unhappy for a bad reason the guy wants to play his heart out and ain't really getting the chance as much as he would like. Even more so after having a bust up with one of the coaches. They all need to a get a grip and see sense. The best idea is a loan move abroad to a top club that want to play him. Its a win win all round. Townsend gets to play regularly and gain invaluable experience. While get to keep a young player good enough for the England Team. Either play for us in the future again or maybe sell on for a lot more than £14mil. Townsend will only get better in time!
:townhmm::pochsulk::levystare:

Levy, Poch and Townsend need to have a little more respect towards one another! Townsend is not unhappy for a bad reason the guy wants to play his heart out and ain't really getting the chance as much as he would like. Even more so after having a bust up with one of the coaches. They all need to a get a grip and see sense. The best idea is a loan move abroad to a top club that want to play him. Its a win win all round. Townsend gets to play regularly and gain invaluable experience. While get to keep a young player good enough for the England Team. Either play for us in the future again or maybe sell on for a lot more than £14mil. Townsend will only get better in time!
:townhmm::pochsulk::levystare:
When you start to have a crack at the coaching staff that's it see you later! His head got too big and he has to go!

When you start to have a crack at the coaching staff that's it see you later! His head got too big and he has to go!
You'll find it was nothing more than a few choice words between the player and coach. Not exactly something to write home about let alone sell the player on. We're all adults and realise we all have emotions that boil over. You wouldn't be human overwise. Not a good enough reason to be selling any player on. I suspect Townsend wants to go due to the indifferent attitude towards his unhappiness shown by both Levy and Poch. Be a shame to see him go!

Newcastle set to sign Tottenham’s Andros Townsend after Pochettino steps in
• Spurs have agreed to compromise after originally demanding £14m
• Spurs manager intervenes to allow England winger to leave

Andros Townsend looks set to leave Tottenham after being frozen out fo the first team. Photograph: Alex Livesey/Getty Images

Ed Aarons

@ed_aarons
Monday 25 January 2016 19.52 GMTLast modified on Monday 25 January 201620.05 GMT

Shares

Save for later
Newcastle are close to signing Andros Townsend from Tottenham with the clubs close to agreeing a compromise over the fee for the England winger.

Townsend, who has barely featured for Spurs so far this campaign and has played just 64 minutes in the Premier League in total, has been targeted by Newcastle manager Steve McClaren for several weeks as he seeks to strengthen his squad for the battle against relegation.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy had originally demanded that they pay £14m to secure the 24-year-old and rejected Newcastle’s opening offer of £10m earlier this month.

But with Mauricio Pochettino keen to free up space in his squad, the Tottenham manager has personally intervened to request that the club accepts a lower bid – understood to be somewhere in the middle of the two clubs’ valuations. Levy is believed to have sanctioned the move in principal and now Townsend will discuss personal terms with Newcastle but is expected to sign for the club in the next 48 hours.

Having been a regular in Roy Hodgson’s England squad last season, Townsend was banished from the first team after clashing with the fitness coach Nathan Gardiner and forced to train with the Under-21s. He has not played for Tottenham’s first team since and it is now nearly two years since he completed a full Premier League match for the club.

But it is understood that Pochettino has been impressed with Townsend’s attitude since being frozen out of the first team picture and was keen to allow him to find another club as a goodwill gesture.

That could all be an epic THFC trick. Levy wanted to go lower but didn't want to seem like a chump. They made a huge scheme that Poch was the one that talked Levy into agreeing lower still making Levy look like a hardass but showing respect for Pochettino.

We are mere idiotas compared to the masterminds behind El Real Equipo de London Norteno :pochsmirk:

Good luck to the lad. If newcastle figure out he is a natural left winger and play him there, they have a good player . Why the fuck our last 3 managers have played him on the right is unbelieveable. He is not very good being played as an inverted winger.

Good luck to the lad. If newcastle figure out he is a natural left winger and play him there, they have a good player . Why the fuck our last 3 managers have played him on the right is unbelieveable. He is not very good being played as an inverted winger.
Maybe because he's not very good at either

As Poch does not rate and wants to keep a tight reign on squad discipline / harmony then the sale is good news. That said does not feel great to let go a guy who not so long ago lead the charge out of the youth ranks , to first team and England. He has always given his best so , so long and thanks for the effort. Good luck Andros.

He is of course a proper Tottenham product, but personally I`m delighted if we sell him for £12m. There is Eriksen, Son, Lamela & Chadli who I think all has much much more to offer. One could also argue Poch rather want to use Onomah, Pritchard & Njie (when fit) ahead of him too.
Personally I`ve never been to impressed with neither his desicion making, ability to actually shoot or even his crosses, so to get that price for at best a future squad player and currently more likely to be a fringe player: Brilliant.
I also like that we in good Levy tradition initially wanted to squeeze £14m out of the lemon. I mean, they just dished out £12m on Shelvey, so you gotta try at least! :levyeyes:
And as someone said: Beautfully manouvered with saying Poch intervened, so as not to mess with Levy`s reputation.
Who need Sheikh or oligarch money when you operate the market like we are currently doing. I reckon we are pretty much in the black (or close to) in the Poch area net transfer spending wise. Our squad looks great, and we could prolly dish out £20-30m for the right target thanks to sales like this.
Now, who wants Fazio for 10-12m? Any takers?

Back
Top Bottom