Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kristeva Kristeva beat me to the punch. To be honest, Brooks is the one I’d take from Bournemouth. King is more versatile, but again, I think we’ve got into this mindset where we’re only allowed to play Kane until his annual injury.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been reading my Joy of Sex manual and transported back to the early 1980s, but I’ve been taken by the idea of 4/4/2 with a pair of strikers that compliment one another.

The classic 4 4 2 will come back into fashion one day, everything goes round.

I would prefer Willian over Lamela coming off the bench, but would prefer a younger player over both of them. Not a big loss and Woolwich are already strong on the wings anyways so not a big addition for them

Tsimikas, who is rumoured to be going to LIverpool, would have been a nice replacement for Davies, but RB is obviously more important than LB. For 13 m (rumoured) it seems like that would have been worth it for Spurs.

Not if the scouts are doing their job properly you don't. Like I said int he rest of my post you don't have to buy an established international, you just need a bit of imagination and a good scouting system
A £15m striker who can play alongside Kane for us and "deserves a place in the XI" ? Good luck with that.

Its all about the marquee signings.

This window is almost as bad as one in 2015 when we bought a Burnley right back, a league 1 MK Dons midfielder and a defender on loan at mid table Southampton.

Proper next level stuff.
That team was full of promise , a year or two away from peaking , brother.
Imagine if we signed a real game changer , we would have won the league ,
The team know is in major decline , no midfield, no full backs , poor or past peak central defenders, it has been allowed to rot away.
It's needs huge funds, rebuilding just to compete for top 4 again .
( What marquee signings ?)

Last edited:
Tsimikas, who is rumoured to be going to LIverpool, would have been a nice replacement for Davies, but RB is obviously more important than LB. For 13 m (rumoured) it seems like that would have been worth it for Spurs.
It’s obvious that Tsimikas was coming out on top of all the analytics numbers as Leicester wanted him to replace Chillwell too. Liverpool and their analytics departments are two of the best around. We’re still looking for the password to log in to the Windows 2000 PC at the training ground.

Last edited:
Hodjberg, Deeney and Maitland Niles would be hailed as a fantastic window by some.
Three signings in ONE window ? Do you think the club is made of money

You are everything that is wrong with modern football fans

I am glad that the club is in the hands of people like levy, Lewis and Airfixx Airfixx

We'd be bankrupt within a week otherwise

Kristeva Kristeva beat me to the punch. To be honest, Brooks is the one I’d take from Bournemouth. King is more versatile, but again, I think we’ve got into this mindset where we’re only allowed to play Kane until his annual injury.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been reading my Joy of Sex manual and transported back to the early 1980s, but I’ve been taken by the idea of 4/4/2 with a pair of strikers that compliment one another.
Everything goes in cycles.

Yesterday I read a article saying that the 4-3-3 could become outdated anytime soon. I think it´s early to say - and even if it does represent a tendency for the majority of the teams, if you can buy all the top players in the world (like City or Madrid), you could play with a 4-3-3 forever.

But the 4-4-2 has definitely returned. Simeone was the first to show how the system could still work at the highest possible level. Basically, without the ball his side went from a 4-4-2 to a 4-4-2-0 (I´m not joking).

The premise is that the strikers are able to close the space between the CB´s and the midfield passing options - usually represented by a single DM in the 4-3-3. The duo becomes part of a square with the two CM´s, while the wingers and full-backs press together on the sides.

Everybody is involved, no more disadvantage in midfield.

João Sacramento is obviously a big fan of the system. And Jose is known for the 4-2-3-1 - basically a variation from it. That´s why I´m saying we are going to play with a double pivot next season. That´s why, in these last few games, as soon as we went ahead Jose moved Sissoko alongside Winks - forming the second line of four alongside the two wingers, leaving two players up front.

Against Woolwich, we started with the 4-4-2. Lo Celso-Winks as CM´s, Sissoko and Lucas closing the sides, and finally, Son and Kane up front. It definitely worked.

The striker we are signing should be able to play in this role, alongside Kane. Also to play as a single striker, in Kane´s place. And also to be an impact substitute when we are chasing results.

Last edited:
It’s obvious that Tsimikas was coming out on top of all the analytics numbers as Leicester wanted him to replace Chillwell too. Liverpool and their analytics departments are two of the best around. We’re still looking for the password to log in to the Window 2000 PC at the training ground.
Levy should get a ton more stick for Spurs analytics shortcomings. It's the one area where you are going to get the most return on your relatively minimal investment and it seems pretty obvious that we are behind many of our peers, or we just do a bad job of it, or we ignore it.

If you weren't taking the United/City/Chelsea approach, then you have to invest and trust in your analytics department.

Back
Top Bottom