Antwerp v Spurs (Thursday 29th October @ 17.55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

God I can’t keep up, are we still good or are we shit again..🤷‍♂️.......Never dull being a Spurs fan that’s for sure.....
I was very busy with work but I kind of made this point this morning. I said I'd not be joining the communal blow bang of Jose that had begun because if you look at our form this season it is not the rosey picture being painted. It's swinging from bad to good with very little consistency. There are things to be happy with and equal measure of concerns. Can some kind person give me their take on what happened. Jose seems to be taking the blame in interviews saying he picked the wrong team, whilst in typical jose fashion making it clear individuals let us down.

I think Mourinho's statement tonight said everything. Probationary period is now over and the players who were here before the last window have now been fully assessed and graded. I wouldn't plan on seeing some of them put on a Spurs shirt in the league again.
He feels everyone has been given sufficient chances to show just how much they want to play for this club and there are no more excuses left for not committing to the cause.

His substitutions tonight showed just how much he wants this trophy to be the stepping stone for us and looking at the picture of him sitting on that bus leaving the ground was a sad sight. He was let down badly this evening and that will hurt him deeply. He never ever imagined having to make those 5 changes at half time, what manager would, but it really was forced upon him by the lethargic attitude of the whole team.

So we lick our wounds, address the frailties of our defence, examine the manner in which out attack was stifled by Antwerp and come back stronger and wiser for Brighton.
I agree Jose will finish peoples contracts and sell them in Jan.
He only has Kane for one season guaranteed so he wants to win something THIS season.

Easy 1st team are brilliant, reserves are shit . Simples !
In fact I think we have some ok to good reserves, but few. Now that he apparently claims to have choose the first team we should just play them with changes in the starting 11 only when needed. But really, some of our reserves couldn't play for Bournemouth.

I don't get what's odd about subbing Vinicius for Kane under the circumstances. When you need a win, Kane is still a tiny bit better than Vinicius.. Or at least that's what Jose thinks, quite reasonably in my opinion.

The reason I wouldn’t is to prevent the risk of Kane getting injured.

I do t want Kane getting hurt chasing a result we really do t need when Vinicius is capable of getting a tying goal himself.

In fact I think we have some ok to good reserves, but few. Now that he apparently claims to have choose the first team we should just play them with changes in the starting 11 only when needed. But really, some of our reserves couldn't play for Bournemouth.
Please tell me which reserve is pushing really hard to get in the team?
I'm surprised we didn't play Clarke as he could not have been worse than Bergy, Dele or Bale.
We have NOBODY CREATIVE if GLC isn't fully fit.
Hojberg and Winks create little and our forwards tonight were ineffective.
Still confused as to why he didn't keep Vinnie on and try him with Son ?

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. God awful. Should have been 4 or 5- nil. Hard to figure this squad out

2. This team has a hard time keeping the ball on the ground and making accurate passes. Lots of 10-15 yd passes end up in the air. Attack killers.

3. Interested to see Davies at CB. Interest waned quickley.

4. Crosses weren’t bad we’re just not getting on the end of them.

5. Bale seemed to have disappeared for stretches. Didn’t realize he was in for a while.

6. We need Lucas and Lamela’s enthusiasm and energy spread throughout the team. If only they’re talent matched.

7. The good news is this debacle should not matter in the big picture. Still should get through, and perhaps win the group.

8. Dele

:mourcheeks:

Easy 1st team are brilliant, reserves are shit . Simples !
Must admit the expression 'second team' had a bit of a hollow ring to it tonight. A few hours ago I was admiring the depth of the squad we have. Now I am totally perplexed at what I have witnessed. Didn't look like anyone playing in that first half was bothered about fighting for a first team spot. Very disappointing for all the fans but more especially the manager.

I think our depth is incomparably better to what we have ever had.

But one thing is depth, the other is to expect that making so many changes to the starting team can work immediately. Maybe they all believed that it was going to work, but it didn't. I think that the players didn't look comfortable enough with each other to play the ball quickly and to know immediately what to do when they got the ball.

I was very busy with work but I kind of made this point this morning. I said I'd not be joining the communal blow bang of Jose that had begun because if you look at our form this season it is not the rosey picture being painted. It's swinging from bad to good with very little consistency. There are things to be happy with and equal measure of concerns. Can some kind person give me their take on what happened. Jose seems to be taking the blame in interviews saying he picked the wrong team, whilst in typical jose fashion making it clear individuals let us down.

Classic B-team in Europa first half..... Lack of synergy and urgency. Jose made 4 subs at HT and brought Kane on at 58m.... We blew hard for half an hour, but created v.little and looked vulnerable on the counter.

Could have been 3-0 with little complaint.

Why do we always say the opposition is well organised, everyone knows their job , etc. Why arnt we organised and our players know what they are doing within a system? I say it again we really have no style of play apart from long balls and catching teams on the break. I see no evidence of any coaching or work on set pieces. As for complacent and attitude surely JM should drumming it into the players all the time! I thought that was his speciality? How many more times are gonna to watch a game and then say hopefully they have learnt their lesson and won’t happen again! The result against Burnley was great but the performance was dier like today. I’m not sure either goalie has had to make a proper save from our attacks. Not good enough when we have invested in the squad this season. Why isn’t JM out in the technical area barking at them? Also why is it that some players can continuously make mistakes yet keep their places. Davies was awful on Monday plays today and is culpable for the goal. Where as other players are thrown to the wolves! The starting 11 cost way much more than Anterwp and a lot younger plus fresher as they all played at the weekend. Yet we looked slow, drab, not interested and lazy. Part of that is on JM he should make sure we turn up regardless of who starts. Must win v Brighton now as we have not won a home game in the PL this season. No more excuses. Need to go out there and boss the game and not talk up how good Brighton are. Which I’m afraid JM is already doing saying they are much better than Anterwp. He likesto big up the opposition too much and we them change our style of play to combat the opposition.

Back
Top Bottom