Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't seem to do much wrong with the ball but really badly lacks intensity at the moment. Don't think I've seen him break into a proper sprint so far which isn't a good sign. Fingers crossed his quality shines through soon.

Leave it to Jose
I say
I think at least on the left he can try swing a cross in of some sort. You know what you're gonna get on the right from him come inside to a right forward position and shoot. When he's fit and firing I like that idea right now just do the winger stuff that we know he's so good at push the ball forward stretch his legs out etc that's how he'll get match fit. Not just standing there like he did tonight.

He needs to be played central, as he did with AVB. He’s not effective out wide with the drop off in pace. Get him on the ball...

Not fit aside. It seems he has lost his magic. Just don't see that spark he used to have.

2012 Bale was a dynamic, pacey monster of a player. There is/was no sense in fans expecting that player to return.... To sign him in 2020 we're reliant upon his touch, skill, interplay and finishing ability.

His relationship with GLC, Ndombele & Kane (+ who'mever is at RB) will effectively make or break his time here.

I saw plenty of times Bale had space in the middle, nobody passed to him.
Made a great run that Dele missed.

His one ‘nearly’ moment against Spam came from a Kane pass...playing with better players will bring out better in him. Exactly when / if Jose decides that will happen, though, is unclear? Why give Bale time with Kane / Son ahead of Vinny time with Son and Lucas / Coco?

I saw plenty of times Bale had space in the middle, nobody passed to him.
It's not just a Bale specific thing - this happens to Kane/Son etc. as well.
Bale still needs to find a way to contribute or impose himself one way or another. Complaining about "lack of service" is just loser mentality that's not going to get us anywhere.
I'm really hoping this is really just a 'fitness' thing but I don't think it is. I'm beginning to think that Zidane/RM might have been onto something we weren't fully aware of.

Made a great run that Dele missed.

His one ‘nearly’ moment against Spam came from a Kane pass...playing with better players will bring out better in him. Exactly when / if Jose decides that will happen, though, is unclear? Why give Bale time with Kane / Son ahead of Vinny time with Son and Lucas / Coco?
Bale case is always special. He's clearly way behind other player in term of fitness due to all these injuries, and lack of competitive matches the past years at Madrid. In a sense, he's still in pre season condition, and need time to catch up.

Ideally we want to rest Kane Son and key players in these type of games. Today second half is just last resort, not premeditated situation. Bale 60 minute routine is the only thing set in stone. Situation like when we're 3-0 up against West Ham is rarer in the league.

Last edited:
Surely he can’t be that in-match fit? He played for wales in an international games at the start of the season. Since the. His had over two months to get fit! Sure give him time but in 2 games against let’s face it lower opposition for a player of his stature his not really been busting a gut to make things happen. He needs to show his the main man.

He needs to be played central, as he did with AVB. He’s not effective out wide with the drop off in pace. Get him on the ball...

The free role under AVB was still built around his ability to run at people, aggressively, and beat them with pace. He wasn't sitting centrally and playing like a 10.

Bale is amazing. He has the CV any player would want. But Bale is not the type of player that Berbatov, Zlatan, or Pirlo were, where they can play until later in life because their class didn't deteriorate with their physical abilities.

That is not saying Bale will not get some goals and help us with some games or that he has no class to his game. But he lost his burst, the burst that allowed him to find time on his amazing left foot, and that made him one of the most dangerous players on the planet. His greatness was built off the physical dominance of his 1v1 battle. He isn't going to just join the midfield and start pulling strings.

Surely he can’t be that in-match fit? He played for wales in an international games at the start of the season. Since the. His had over two months to get fit! Sure give him time but in 2 games against let’s face it lower opposition for a player of his stature his not really been busting a gut to make things happen. He needs to show his the main man.
Bale was back in training separately from the group at the beginning of October. So he had to sit out between his last game and the first training almost a month.

Only joined the group training during the international break. In normal circumstances, pre season takes several week for healthy players to get into best shape, let alone getting to top form. You even see some players keeping exercise routine like gym work, treadmill during vacation, to keep their shape, and yet nobody can escape from rustiness at the start of new season.

You're having unrealistic expectation there both in term of player condition, and the role Bale has.

Bale was back in training separately from the group at the beginning of October. So he had to sit out between his last game and the first training almost a month.

Only joined the group training during the international break. In normal circumstances, pre season takes several week for healthy players to get into best shape, let alone getting to top form. You even see some players keeping exercise routine like gym work, treadmill during vacation, to keep their shape, and yet nobody can escape from rustiness at the start of new season.

You're having unrealistic expectation there both in term of player condition, and the role Bale has.
So assuming Bale gets fully fit again, what kind of production are you expecting? How many goals/assists? Is he going to produce more than say, Lucas this year?

So assuming Bale gets fully fit again, what kind of production are you expecting? How many goals/assists? Is he going to produce more than say, Lucas this year?
I would say high teen in term of goal and assist combine. The role he has is giving the cutting edge in the final third. He's not expected to carry the ball from deep position like he used to. So I don't expect Bale to be everywhere, explosive, but the type that be there at the right time, and provide that big of quality final ball.

The free role under AVB was still built around his ability to run at people, aggressively, and beat them with pace. He wasn't sitting centrally and playing like a 10.

Bale is amazing. He has the CV any player would want. But Bale is not the type of player that Berbatov, Zlatan, or Pirlo were, where they can play until later in life because their class didn't deteriorate with their physical abilities.

That is not saying Bale will not get some goals and help us with some games or that he has no class to his game. But he lost his burst, the burst that allowed him to find time on his amazing left foot, and that made him one of the most dangerous players on the planet. His greatness was built off the physical dominance of his 1v1 battle. He isn't going to just join the midfield and start pulling strings.

Pirlo, Berbatov and Zlatan are all completely different players. I don’t understand this comparison. You say Bale has lost his pace and physicality, which I agree with. So why put him out on the wing. It clearly hasn’t worked so far. For me the winner against West Ham away assisted by Carroll is where Bale belongs again. In the middle, pulling strings and scoring worldies.

Pirlo, Berbatov and Zlatan are all completely different players. I don’t understand this comparison. You say Bale has lost his pace and physicality, which I agree with. So why put him out on the wing. It clearly hasn’t worked so far. For me the winner against West Ham away assisted by Carroll is where Bale belongs again. In the middle, pulling strings and scoring worldies.
The comparison is pointing out that I think Zlatan, Pirlo, and Berbatov could all continue in their roles because they are just uber players skill-wise. Bale's skill, the one that made him who he is, is no longer. He has a left foot on him and I can see him hanging out there, lasering some shots at goalies, but I don't think that is the plan at this point.

Back
Top Bottom