European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
I don't see it happening.

Out of the ESL clubs, we are in likely one of the worst positions outside than in.
Agreed, massive stadium debt would become a millstone if we didn't get in and this went forward. There's 0% chance we would ever pull out.

And in reality, neither will anyone else. Madrid and City are probably the only clubs that could risk this going forward without them, and City only because it money doesn't matter to their ownership.

Madrid is the only one potentially motivated to do so, as Perez has an election this year and this could just lose it for him. Though, with a massive injection from the ESL before the election it'd be arguable that no one can pass the net worth requirements to actually run against him now. Which maybe best explains his motivations here, because the Covid hit to revenue likely would have opened him up to multiple challengers.

Anyone else find it weird how Mbappe and Neymar have been winding down their contracts at PSG.

Their agents knew this was coming. They are going to end up at Madrid and Barcelona respectively.

I don't doubt that many players and coaches were completely blindsided by this, but I don't believe they all were or that the clubs hadn't had agents and others involved in these discussions.

Time for this Lieutenant Dan Levy gif again

3Q4fCCI.gif

I couldn't care less either way now, everyone involved is only acting out of self interest anyway.

Sky already done a breakaway league and built a multi billion pound tv subscription service around it moving around games to suit themselves and never the fans and are salty because they haven't been guaranteed rights to the super league

UEFA and FIFA decades of corruption and self gain fuelled by immoral and illegal actions , would happily bless this league if they were getting a cut

The premier League, happily authorised the sale of clubs to highly questionable billionaires you reap what you sow

FA happily forgot their purity when they urged Man U to boycott the Fa cup as champions to go and play a lucrative expanded club world Cup in 2000

Clubs

Everton, more than happy to break FFP rules to gain their own advantage over the last 4 years now salty because they've been snubbed

Aston Villa - happy enough to become the man city of the championship and spend way beyond their means to get to and stay in the premier League now salty because they've been snubbed

West Ham, happy to benefit from an illegally registered player to stay up, happy to have 100's of millions of taxpayers money build convert and almost entirely subsidise their stadium (both fans and owners) vocally request the premier League to be declared null and void for Corona virus last year when they thought they'd be relegated now suddenly virtuous for the fans establishment, fuck off.

Leeds lol go tell it to the amount of companies you left bankrupt when you went bust

Wolves cheating with massive financial doping and insider information since they were taken over.

That's just the tip of the iceberg with these cunts, a bit of time researching you could go on for days.
Agree with this.

The holier than thou attitudes don't wash.

The whole thing stinks and at the end of the day I just want to watch Spurs playing good football.

Part of me mentally checked out of football when we lost the CL final so maybe I'm just numb to it but I don't really care what happens now.

All this talk about clubs going bust. Why should we prop up businesses run on unsustainable financial models anyway?

If the big 6 leave and TV money dries up there will just have to be a reset anyway. Stop spending beyond your means. If Newcastle go bankrupt then the local community can build it up again and create new history. Football will go on.

The key driver is player salaries and I think at some point they will have to drop unless something like the ESL is able to fund them across the board.

No most people that buy the TV packages for this competition will be outside of Europe, the numbers in Asia alone will dwarf the European numbers.

I think you really underestimate the number of people that won't buy tickets, especially when you see the corporate interests that will buy tickets and the expensive tickets that make more than the average tickets anyways.

People are passionate now, and you are likely in a bit of a bubble of "superfans" like those on here that but the average fan will not feel as strong about it. When the games start up tickets will be bought.

I hope they don't sell a single ticket, but have to be realistic about it.
Who pays more for the broadcast rights of the Premier League? Sky or SuperSport in Africa or SpoTV in Korea? That's where the main income for the Premier League is, the packages that they sell to Sky, BT, RMC, Movistar etc. Without these deals that come from Europe specifically, the SuperLeague wouldn't be able to pay back the £10B or whatever the fee was in order to keep operating. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I see no reason as to why this can't happen.

The guy is practically retired. You won't see young blood making a genuine stand imho.
Agreed, Zlatan's made his money. Hell he was playing in the MLS not that long ago. Players who've yet to make their cash won't rebel.

Ownership always beats players. Because players have 10 year careers. Ownership is in the game for 20, 50, 100 years. The clubs have signed a 23 year pact - there's not a player around that will still be in the game after even half that deal is done. These guys leave and they'll just get more.

Labor is cheap...something people always forget in these things. Thats why most strikes fail.

Why is he specifically focusing most of his comments on the English clubs?

The Spanish fans don't deserve the respect? The Italian fans??

Either he is just playing to what he thinks is the most vulnerable clubs from a PR perspective, or just realizes that they have zero ability to influence the likes of Madrid or Juve.

Who pays more for the broadcast rights of the Premier League? Sky or SuperSport in Africa or SpoTV in Korea? That's where the main income for the Premier League is, the packages that they sell to Sky, BT, RMC, Movistar etc. Without these deals that come from Europe specifically, the SuperLeague wouldn't be able to pay back the £10B or whatever the fee was in order to keep operating. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I see no reason as to why this can't happen.

They will still have the deals from Europe, plus the deals from Asia, Africa, NA and I assume SA.

Even without the European numbers, which they will have, they will get billions from the other parts of the world. That is what this is about football is a global sport and they can make more money by marketing it as that, than worrying about the people that go to the stadium every week.

Do you really think that these guys haven't thought of everything? That JP Morgan is putting up the money they are and not already in deals for TV money?

If anything under your proposal the TV companies that broadcast it will be screwed because they will pay the billions for the rights, so if nobody is watching it is them that take the hit not the ESL. They will have their billion dollar deals in place regardless.

And once again I do think, for as you say wishful thinking which there is nothing wrong with, that you are way overestimating the number of people that will not watch this. There will certainly be some who do not but it will be a small number, despite what many emotional fans are saying now.

Less games more money ... can’t see them saying no in the end to be honest.

It is also very easy to be unimpressed or not interested in the media right now for players. That doesn't commit you to anything, they can still join the league and get the millions once it starts and gain the benefit from goodwill from "coming out against it."

I am not saying that some may not follow through but until there is real steps taken by them all their comments now are pretty hollow.

I couldn't care less either way now, everyone involved is only acting out of self interest anyway.

Sky already done a breakaway league and built a multi billion pound tv subscription service around it moving around games to suit themselves and never the fans and are salty because they haven't been guaranteed rights to the super league

UEFA and FIFA decades of corruption and self gain fuelled by immoral and illegal actions , would happily bless this league if they were getting a cut

The premier League, happily authorised the sale of clubs to highly questionable billionaires you reap what you sow

FA happily forgot their purity when they urged Man U to boycott the Fa cup as champions to go and play a lucrative expanded club world Cup in 2000

Clubs

Everton, more than happy to break FFP rules to gain their own advantage over the last 4 years now salty because they've been snubbed

Aston Villa - happy enough to become the man city of the championship and spend way beyond their means to get to and stay in the premier League now salty because they've been snubbed

West Ham, happy to benefit from an illegally registered player to stay up, happy to have 100's of millions of taxpayers money build convert and almost entirely subsidise their stadium (both fans and owners) vocally request the premier League to be declared null and void for Corona virus last year when they thought they'd be relegated now suddenly virtuous for the fans establishment, fuck off.

Leeds lol go tell it to the amount of companies you left bankrupt when you went bust

Wolves cheating with massive financial doping and insider information since they were taken over.

That's just the tip of the iceberg with these cunts, a bit of time researching you could go on for days.
Sure, but there are also self-sustaining clubs in the Premier League. The previous owner of Burnley had a net-worth less than the average cost of a player in the Premier League. Same goes for smaller clubs like Bournemouth, Huddersfield (which I hate for some reason that I don't even know) etc. It's those clubs that you can feel sorry for, not the likes of Everton, Wolves, West Ham etc. that if given the chance, would join in this without even thinking about it.

I think from a business perspective Levy is probably playing this right. He’s not leading it (that’s Liverpool and United) but he’s also not going to jump ship alone.

I bet if city jumps out we will follow them, if not we’ll weather the storm with the other 5.

Excellent response from The Toffee's.

They should have included a little small print line at the end that said "however if you ESL guys take another look and see the big steps we have made as a club lately, we would still love to join you."

Perhaps. Rumour has it that United and Madrid were the instigators of this whole thing which makes sense for two reasons:

1. Look at who are the chairmen making the most statements.
2. United have been underperforming vs their global brand standing since Ferguson left so a Super League like this is particularly advantageous for them.

Alas after years and years of something like this being mooted, it really seems like we're past the point of no return on this one. The media is being flooded with condemnation over it, but if we were a fly on the wall behind the scenes I bet we'd see it's a done thing.
Anyone who has paid attention to the half dozen times super league plans have been voiced in the last twenty years can see this is different to each of those times.

This isnt a plan, its a done deal, with action behind it. they have arranged funding and justification for getting a payout at the start for nothing. Spurs are a part of that infrastructure idea, our stadium and training facilities are the template, the idea being that each super-club should have the same level of infrastructure, funded by this league basically.

the bank is involved, putting real money down, it is signed as a contract already, legal ppl will have been all over it in detail to make sure it is bulletproof.

And they will have detailed plans for next steps whether years later or immediately if their hand is forced by being expelled from leagues etc.

Why now? Because the big clubs have lost huge revenue, they need cash now. And up until recently money from tv deals, CL etc. has grown but it’s reached it’s maximum under the current system I suspect. Businesses have to grow and these clubs are businesses.

And Utd, AC Milan, they’ve focused minds, shown that decline happens it is just around the corner for any big club in the current system. Barcelona next. The current system just doesn't have enough guarantees. They see that they can walk off together and have much more control and certainty.

The other reason we and Woolwich were invited was because the Prem league cannot survive without the six. Had just four gone then maybe it could afford to kick them out. Same with Atletico. Arguably Milans too.

Excellent response from The Toffee's.

Oh please everton would have jumped at an invitation just like levy did.

Back
Top Bottom