Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its not really pandering, pandering would be just playing him at LW. If a player tells you he won't play at LB, why would you just play him at LB?

Allowing a player to tell his manager where he will or won't play is pandering.

Perhaps you afford Messi or Ronaldo that kind of sway; but otherwise fuck that!

Manager = boss.

Its not as though Bergwijn has been excellent at LW. He's been so great we had a forum full of people wanking to a fast rugger all August.

Son > Berg/Lucas > Gil > Sessengon

...He's like 5th in line!

Really all a pointless discussion, anyway. Hes not going to cut it at LW. Whether he ever had the chance to do so at LB doesn't really matter. There's really not a lot of evidence for/against because we just haven't played him there. Either by his choice or mutual consent.

Touche.

Vertongen did not like playing LB but did in an emergency and was good at it but his main role was CB. Dier no longer plays in Midfield but that means he does not play if he is not considered by the Manager as one of the 2 top CB's.
I think the main thing is that a player can state a preference but should if needed play anywhere he is instructed to by his Manager.

Vertongen did not like playing LB but did in an emergency and was good at it but his main role was CB. Dier no longer plays in Midfield but that means he does not play if he is not considered by the Manager as one of the 2 top CB's.
I think the main thing is that a player can state a preference but should if needed play anywhere he is instructed to by his Manager.
Definitely. But not all players have that mentality, certainly.

At the end of the day aside from one goal against Bayern he has shown very little in the few first team appearances he’s had for us. He seems to be made of glass and plays with a timidity that suggests he doesn’t trust his own body. His loan at Hoffenheim was mediocre and once again he reported injured for pre-season and took no part.

It‘s hard to see a real future for him here unless he suddenly explodes in the ECL this season, that could be a great competition for him to improve his fitness and show his quality. But with this latest injury, is he even going to be fit enough to play all 6 matches? Maybe it is better to give up on him and just send him to Turkey as a shop window exercise.

If he can’t make an impression on Nuno when we are so light on attackers then there’s no point keeping him just to play 4 or 5 matches in the ECL. Bryan Gil looked more lively on his full debut than Sess ever has in his 2.5 years on our books.

Its not really pandering, pandering would be just playing him at LW. If a player tells you he won't play at LB, why would you just play him at LB?

Its not as though Bergwijn has been excellent at LW. He's been so great we had a forum full of people wanking to a fast rugger all August.

Really all a pointless discussion, anyway. Hes not going to cut it at LW. Whether he ever had the chance to do so at LB doesn't really matter. There's really not a lot of evidence for/against because we just haven't played him there. Either by his choice or mutual consent.
He spent a season on loan playing LB and LWB. Missed the entire pre-season with injury. Plays a part in two European games, one of these at something like LWB, the other further upfield with Davies at LB.

I don't know where you get the idea he sees himself as a LW? Everything I've heard from him the last year or two indicates he see's LB as his position. He's in an awkward spot, because Reguilon is firmly making himself #1 left back and Davies is an experienced backup. I fear he's in for another scattered season playing in several positions, would probably take a Reguilon injury for him to get the run in the side he needs. And even then he'd need to avoid the muscle injuries that have stalled his progress the last few years.

He spent a season on loan playing LB and LWB. Missed the entire pre-season with injury. Plays a part in two European games, one of these at something like LWB, the other further upfield with Davies at LB.

I don't know where you get the idea he sees himself as a LW? Everything I've heard from him the last year or two indicates he see's LB as his position. He's in an awkward spot, because Reguilon is firmly making himself #1 left back and Davies is an experienced backup. I fear he's in for another scattered season playing in several positions, would probably take a Reguilon injury for him to get the run in the side he needs. And even then he'd need to avoid the muscle injuries that have stalled his progress the last few years.

Well, you said it.

He needs to be eased into things. Mind his injuries, which - for a pace player - can cripple his career.

Going on loan somewhere would be so stupid.

Well, you said it.

He needs to be eased into things. Mind his injuries, which - for a pace player - can cripple his career.

Going on loan somewhere would be so stupid.
I was mostly impressed with his Hoffenheim performances, a few positional quirks alright but looked well up for the role physically. I think we'd be mad to move him on.

You'd have to worry about the injuries. Must be immensely frustrating for him.

Sessegnon has never looked comfortable when playing for us. His best season for Fulham was in the championship playing as a forward, 17 goals I believe.
Seems quite timid on the pitch.

tell him to man up, play at left back and knuckle down

? ? ? ? ? ?

That is basically the whole point.

He fucking can't.
Cause he has not proven he could be better than Regulion and Davies.

Why should we as a club shaft one of the established players to fit in someone who has shown very-very little during his time with us? What is more - even if someone would suggest that maybe we should have sold Davies and replace him with Sess - this wouldn't have worked either cause -
- that would mean both 2 options would be mainly attacking minded
- defense was our real weakness last season, so hardly reasonable to leave yourself with 2 attacking minded fullbacks
- at the end of the day it would have weakened our team cause during his time he has not proven enough that he will be good enough to be starter for us.

So very weird situation.

He needs to want to make it happen. To me it's a pure mentality issue with this guy. He may not be up to it he may be but until he tries to stamp his authority (which I think he may be too nicer a bloke to do) then it will always be can he can't he. I think maybe the fear of failure may also be playing a part. I think he needs to at least have the balls to try to take the game by the scruff of the neck like what rose used to do and if he can't do it then fair enough.He'll still have a career just maybe not at a top premier league team but definitely a lower prem/championship standard which you still have to be a very good player to achieve.

I've not seen much from him, but to be fair that's because I've not seen much of him. It's not like Doherty, who has had plenty of chances to show us what he can do. We now know that that guy's a turkey. Sess could have more to offer but we'll never know if we don't get to see it.

What I have seen is a fast yellow-belly who lacks the stones to govern the wing, so I'm pretty indifferent to his future at the club at present.

Did people know he has a Guiness World Record?

Guinness World Record​

On 27 May 2019, Sessegnon achieved the Guinness World Records title for 'Fastest time to hit both football goal posts and crossbar', doing so in just 7.75 seconds

Did people know he has a Guiness World Record?

Guinness World Record​

On 27 May 2019, Sessegnon achieved the Guinness World Records title for 'Fastest time to hit both football goal posts and crossbar', doing so in just 7.75 seconds
Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

Sessegnon has never looked comfortable when playing for us. His best season for Fulham was in the championship playing as a forward, 17 goals I believe.
Seems quite timid on the pitch.

Yep. He doesn’t seem to have that inherent aggression that sets good young players apart from the avaerge ones. Tanganga, Skipp they have it, Kane used to have it as a youngster coming through in that group along with a couple of others. Sessegnon doesn’t. He may still come good but he won’t hit the heights we are all hoping he will.

It’s his hamstring again. I don’t think he’s been same since he did it originally. Clearly that’s the case with some players they just never get back to the same level. But considering we actually signed him in the middle of his recovery only ourselves to blame.

Yep. He doesn’t seem to have that inherent aggression that sets good young players apart from the avaerge ones. Tanganga, Skipp they have it, Kane used to have it as a youngster coming through in that group along with a couple of others. Sessegnon doesn’t. He may still come good but he won’t hit the heights we are all hoping he will.
Some good players don’t need aggression - I like him, simple, great touch and progressive

It’s his hamstring again. I don’t think he’s been same since he did it originally. Clearly that’s the case with some players they just never get back to the same level. But considering we actually signed him in the middle of his recovery only ourselves to blame.
It’s a career ender/ Knee used to be that can almost always get sorted, hamstring and Achilles causes proper trauma

Back
Top Bottom