Spurs Youth 2021/22

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure Jamie Bowden is at a good club for a loan - pretty much every match there is a fan invasion onto the pitch against the Oldham owners who look to be taking the club into non league football, and that cannot do his confidence any good at all. I'd hope that the loan is brought to an end in January and he finds a better club.

J'Neil Bennett seems to be impressing at Crewe :

'Debutant J’Neil Bennett continued to glide past opponents'

'In possession, the lively J’Neil Bennett looked like he was capable of conjuring something up and after skipping past one opponent close to the edge of the Shrewsbury box, his curling shot took a nick off a defender to flash just past the far post.'

Kion Etete is getting minutes at Northampton Town, but hasn't scored since his dream debut when he scored twice. Mind you Northampton have only scored 5 goals in 6 matches and fans not happy with lack of creativity, so not necessarily a reflection of Etete.

League - 5 starts, typically playing an hour, 333 minutes played (average 67 minutes a game), no goals or assists.

EFL Cup 2 x 90 minutes , including his two goal haul against Coventry on his Northampton debut.

Had the tools but not head.

Bizarre that Fryers was a favourite of Ferguson who gave him half a dozen or so starts (including PL and CL) but Fryers wanted more so didn't sign a contract extension.

Spurs looked but were not convinced enough to pay ManU a fee of (I think) circa £6m so he went to Belgium instead (and being overseas paid ManU a couple of hundred thousand) , played half a dozen games then claimed by about November he was homesick so Spurs faced ManU wrath by buying Fryers in the January following his departure from ManU.

Although Spurs played him a few times, he never looked that good so he was sold to Crystal Palace, where he didn't really impress so loaned out to lower leagues ........ where he didn't really impress ..... and on to other clubs for a couple of years at a time before moving on

and finally to non league Stockport County

Was Ferguson right in his assessment of Fryers ....... he certainly persuaded a lot of clubs to 'give him a chance'

Kion Etete is getting minutes at Northampton Town, but hasn't scored since his dream debut when he scored twice. Mind you Northampton have only scored 5 goals in 6 matches and fans not happy with lack of creativity, so not necessarily a reflection of Etete.

League - 5 starts, typically playing an hour, 333 minutes played (average 67 minutes a game), no goals or assists.

EFL Cup 2 x 90 minutes , including his two goal haul against Coventry on his Northampton debut.
They were looking to swap him for the lad who ended up at Villa from there.

Don't think he has a PL future from the bits I've seen.

They were looking to swap him for the lad who ended up at Villa from there.

Don't think he has a PL future from the bits I've seen.

Kion Etete is a lot better than I was expecting when he was signed from (then) League 2 Notts County

I'd keep him out on loan this season and probably next season too (as he's done very well for Spurs u21's) before making a judgement as to what level he should be playing at - but he looks a lot better than many of the young strikers we have had over the last decade, so maybe he'll give us a nice surprise with the level of football that he can excel at.

However making it at Spurs as a striker looks to have an all time hurdle to get across with (in no order) Dane Scarlett, Jamie Donley, Troy Parrott and possibly u15/16 Ollie Irow also coming through so his chances at Spurs are probably pretty remote

However making it at Spurs as a striker looks to have an all time hurdle to get across with (in no order) Dane Scarlett, Jamie Donley, Troy Parrott and possibly u15/16 Ollie Irow also coming through so his chances at Spurs are probably pretty remote
Curious to know if you were to think of some sort of order who would be where

Obviously very early days, and everything changes. Kane at 15 was hardly pulling up trees

Remember feeling pretty peed off when Rodel Richards decided to up and off, but unless you;re watching these guys 24/7 then there's so much we'd never know.

Curious to know if you were to think of some sort of order who would be where

Obviously very early days, and everything changes. Kane at 15 was hardly pulling up trees

Remember feeling pretty peed off when Rodel Richards decided to up and off, but unless you;re watching these guys 24/7 then there's so much we'd never know.

Really impossible to say.

Troy Parrott 2+ years ago looked like he could walk on water, but doesn't seem to have maintained that kind of reputation, possibly summed up last year when on loan last season where I think he scored 2 goals ? But he's still only 19, so he could easily dramatically improve within the next 2 years (or otherwise) and still be young to be a first team regular.

Dane Scarlett looked excellent when he first burst onto the scene, and still looks a great prospect but seems to be far more of an outright goal scorer (but at aged 17 still plenty of time to adjust his game to be more like a Kane 9/10 hybrid) whilst Jamie Donley (a year younger at 16) looks to be more of that all round player that Kane is.

I'm just very pleased we seem t have a group of strikers (including Kion Etete) in u18's and u21's or on loan who might just give us one or more strikers good enough to be in the Spurs squad or play football at a decent level away from Spurs (possibly for a fee)

Agreed on Rodel Richards who seemed to be a good winger/striker able to score a few goals and also able to be a decent winger (a position we are more short of than strikers - although with Dilan Markanday's development this season joining J'Neil Bennett that position is improving). Richards still without a club, I would have thought he would have been better off staying at Spurs and going out on loan to see where he ended up.

I’ve only really been following academy for about 5 years but now pretty obvious to me that goals scored at youth level means virtually zero in terms of becoming a PL player. This may be obvious to long term watchers. But in recent times Reo Griffiths had great numbers. Sadly right now Parrott looks a bit average and it looks unlikely he will go on to be a top PL striker. Personally I’m not convinced by Scarlett either but let’s see. So really I have no idea how you gauge youth strikers maybe they have to be hitting absolutely crazy numbers to have a chance. Otherwise it’s a totally random thing and one with 30 youth goals will be real deal another won’t and there’s not much logic to it.

Caleb Chukwuemeka was the player they wanted to swap for Etete, surprise surprise Villa (offering money) got him for an undisclosed fee.

I think Northampton's goal was to get Etete for free - and he's far too good for that.

And I'd suggest we went for Sarr at Metz rather than Chukwuemeka - whether that was a good decision we might not know for a couple of years.

Would be excellent to see 4 or 5, 16-18 year, potential Gil's come in.

Think not just in potential of saving £35M odd, the level increase across the academy, if we fill the weakest areas with best elite youth talent, the results would improve, possession and confidence.

Now really is the time to pump £25M in. Get an elite nutrition and lifestyle optimisation team in place.

Hope Paratici is this kind of guy.

Back
Top Bottom