Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
The problem is that ‘fans’ want instant success.

b10e7cee00457d4356d7e1937fb19fde2844a350.gifv

Patronising much!?!?!

"Nuno is better tactically than Arteta and Solsjkaer. He’s proved this at Wolves."

"ambitious manager."

Are these really radical statements?

........You sure you're not just a bit drunk on negativity?

It's not "excessively rose-tinted" at all.

Style of play aside, anyone that says the bulk of his Wolves tenure was shit and that he's incompetent is just getting carried away and mugging themselves off.
He's proved absolutely sweet fuck all at Wolves. He got sacked and won nothing and played pretty dismal football. Proving he's better than Arteta? If that's the bar we're setting him, god help us.

As for his ambition you know him personally do you? He took a job here every credible candidate had fucked off and was willing to accept a 2 year deal. I would say that's an unemployed manager jumping into the first gig he got offered. He's done nothing in his career to suggest he's a game-changer as a coach and fuck all to impress me thus far so i'm going to err on the side of caution.

I'm really diggin' this signing.... :mourthumb:
The above was your reaction to the signing of Matt Doherty. Still diggin that one?

It's lazy and very easy to post some super-optimistic bollocks about players and managers you know fuck all about. I tend to err on the side of caution because given our recent history of total fucking bullshit in transfers and managers it's the more prudent approach.

Hes's proved absolutely sweet fuck all at Wolves.

You do understand his tenure wasn't 1 year don't you? They had a tough year last year for reasons beyond just Nuno.

You don't think 2 top 7 finishes in his first 2 EPL seasons, a EL QTR & a FA cup semi is above par for a team like Wolves or any newly promoted team?

(The irony is that some here have a semi over their new guy and he currently sits 13th with 3 loses under his belt and just 2 goals scored.)

He got sacked and won nothing

Wolves are expected to win trophies are they now?

What's Potter won?
What's Brenton won?
What had/did Poch win?

Proving he's better than Arteta? If that's the bar we're setting him, god help us.

Nope that's not a bar that's being set; period, but it does indicate that he's not some no-mark schmuck compared to a couple of clubs that - when it suits - we are often compared to.

As for his ambition you know him personally do you?

Why debate like a petulant child?

Why would you argue that he doesn't have ambitions to make a good job of it here?

Again, that's just gratuitous negativity on your part.

Nuno wasn't my dream appointment..... Doesn't mean he (and anyone that hasn't written him off) should be mercilessly shat all over just because after a month the football's not as pretty as some would like.

He took a job here every credible candidate had fucked off and was willing to accept a 2 year deal. I would say that's an unemployed manager jumping into the first gig he got offered.

......Or was it simply more of a case of him thinking "Spurs? Fuck yeh... Kane, Son etc. I'll have some of that!".

He's done nothing in his career to suggest he's a game-changer as a coach and fuck all to impress me thus far so i'm going to err on the side of caution.

This isn't mere caution on your part tho'. You've just shat on the other guy and told him he knows fuck all; for exhibiting nothing more than MILD hope and optimism. With all due respect you just sounded like an asshole.

It's lazy and very easy to post some super-optimistic bollocks about players and managers you know fuck all about

Again, needlessly patronising..... People are well aware of the his time at Wolves.... He was gushed over by media and pundits alike for much of his time there.... It's hardly some obscure manager only the hipsters know about.

. I tend to err on the side of caution because given our recent history of total fucking bullshit in transfers and managers it's the more prudent approach.

Again, that's not mere caution..... You're shitting all over a new poster for not being as cynical as you.

Look at the mild optimism that has got you rattled here... No-one's asked you to dance a jig FFS!

Re: Doherty - I'm not too big to laugh at myself..... LOL.Nice find... Fact is however, I was mildly enthused by the signing of a player whom ironically OUR NEW MANAGER had made look far better than he has since proved to be........ Maybe one or two of our players might benefit from this guy in a similar way? Sorry, I know such mild positivity is a bit mind boggling for some.

Last edited:
What was wrong with what I posted? Nuno is a good manager. He’s perfect for the rebuild and won’t throw his own players under the bus like Mourinho.

The problem is that ‘fans’ want instant success. We have played just four games, won 3 of them and was unlucky against Palace due to injuries.

Have some perspective at least.
LOL

Yes the "luck" was in the Palace game which we were badly outplayed not in us winning 3 games in which we were by far the 2nd best team in each.

Nuno is better tactically than Arteta and Solsjkaer. He’s proved this at Wolves.

We need to give him time and the resources to achieve his goals. It was never going to be easy taking over after Mourinho left the squad questioning their own abilities.

We have the stadium, talented new players, the best striker in Europe and a very hungry and ambitious young manager. Things aren’t as bleak as the media and our own fans will have us all believe.
I’d rate solsjkaer above Nuno. At least he tries to attack

So you're saying giving the job to our 8th choice after the first 7 told Levy to Fuck Off should fill us all with positivity?
Hasn't filled the squad with any by the looks of it.

I mean, how fucked are we. As much as I didn't think Mourinho was the right choice, he got sacked before a trophy game (when he guarantees trophies) just shows how fucked we are.

And then after all the people that were linked with, borderline world class managers, we end up with Nuno. And I am happy for him, I thought he did brilliantly with Wolves, but I have that nagging suspicion that...well he's just not right for us. He looks out of his depth, and I don't care what anyone says about 9 points from 3 games l.

But I can only imagine how the squad feels. A tumultuous 18 months of not just everything falling apart at the club, but not being to escape the realities of Covid and then getting a mid table manager when everything else screams progress is a joke.

We need someone who can come in and give the lads a confidence boost. Just a good "Cam on lads, it's Chelsea and the worst we can do is give 'em a good kickin'."

Ugh. You know what. This squad needs a Rednkapp. No chance we can just have 'Arry come in as a touchline advisor can we?

Nuno is better tactically than Arteta and Solsjkaer. He’s proved this at Wolves.

We need to give him time and the resources to achieve his goals. It was never going to be easy taking over after Mourinho left the squad questioning their own abilities.

We have the stadium, talented new players, the best striker in Europe and a very hungry and ambitious young manager. Things aren’t as bleak as the media and our own fans will have us all believe.
:dembelelol:

I don’t disagree we have a good stadium and in certain positions some talented players

For me Nuno is an ok manager. My issue is this, if we are aiming for 5-8th this season I can live with it but what I struggle with is the style of football. Nuno is a Jose clone, that style can be eye bleeding.

If we aren’t aiming for that top then at least we need to entertain. If I or any fans pays their money they want some happiness, a 3-3 draw can be fun to watch particularly if the football gets you off your feet.

We have had Graham, AVB and Jose. They killed the fun, my fear is Nuno will do the same and Spurs fans, well at least the match day ones are very short if the manager can’t excite. That is what Nuno must overcome and overcome quickly more than results even in my opinion. Coming 8th playing great football will give him a longer reign than 6th playing Joseball.
Problem i
What was wrong with what I posted? Nuno is a good manager. He’s perfect for the rebuild and won’t throw his own players under the bus like Mourinho.

The problem is that ‘fans’ want instant success. We have played just four games, won 3 of them and was unlucky against Palace due to injuries.

Have some perspective at least.
you have some perspective you deluded nutter

weve been awful in every game

If we beat Chelsea playing the way we played against City then great. If we beat Chelsea with one shot on goal after they pummeled us with 25 shots on target of their own am I supposed to gloss over that after a few days of bragging rights?

We need performances, not just results.

Even worse, we've been boring.

And thats including being bored of the football we played during Mourinho's time with us.

At least the circus surrounding Mourinho was entertaining.
This is what people seem to miss.

This football is what got Jose sacked, ultimately. I'm sure there was more to it of course, but boring, insipid, defensive football isn't what we are paying £75+ per game to see.

If we get tonked tomorrow but we show attacking intent, desire and passion then ultimately you can't complain. If we set up to be defensive and show no creative nous and get fucked anyway, then what's the point?

Back
Top Bottom