Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's been with us for 5 1/2 years and in my view it's time to move him on, he's (at best) a squad player.

I don’t think it would be wise to move him on because he is a squad player, you need decent squad players and he’s a really decent squad player to have. Compare him to when we would have had Townsend as a squad player as a good comparison. In many ways we are lucky to have Lamela.

At last a sensible response. (Other than the 11, knee-jerk 'Disagrees within a few minutes)

Exasperation (usually after a particularly poor performance). I provide an opinion based on what I see (e.g. he was poor, usually supported by a few observations, lack of control, showboating ball-rolling, poor in the air, needless fouls in dangerous areas) and others come back 'you're an idiot (or worse), he had a worldie' - end of 'discussion'

I have been critical of Lamela since his injuries and the time we have given him to prove his worth. My post above is aimed at the blind, uncritical, unwavering and often knee-jerk support offered to him by a few members of this forum, on the back of a few, intermittent good performances (you see, I will concede that he has played well on a few occasions).

I agree with almost all your sentiments expressed above, but the idea that it will cost a fortune to 'upgrade'?

No idea who the replacement would be. That's what our scouting network and Academy are for. Indeed the upgrade could be Lucas (who himself is starting to raise doubts).

You see. We agree.

He's been with us for 5 1/2 years and in my view it's time to move him on, he's (at best) a squad player.

Problem is mate we won't be able to move him on its like trying to shift Andy Carroll nobody is going to touch him with an injury record like he has, to be fair he started the season well and we could be in a much worse position without his early season form since he missed the sitter against City tho he's been seven shades of shit , i would love to replace him or see him pushed further down the pecking order myself , he's not been the worst signing but all things considered he has been a bad signing i would rate it 3 out of 10.

well maybe I am too generous here and I would like to point out smth here that I would expect to get on your own but -

- you say that forum is place for discussion, yet pretty much all you "discuss" is saying that he had a bad game, and ask if you are alone at this. What kind of higher level of "discussion" is that?
- no one here is saying that Lamela is the best player in the squad. But what is the point of coming here after each match (specially during period when we were collectively quite bad) when you really do not seem to have much to say

Has Lamela fulfilled the expectations that everyone had on his arrival - no.
Has he had a brilliant season up to now - not really, in the start was rly good but faded.
Is he a part of best possible starting XI - no.

I have been defending him here over time but I too have started to think what will or will not become of him. Son has made a leap forward, unfortunately Coco has not. As things stand, when everyone is fit he is behind Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen and Moura now. It might be that we could improve on him in the future. Other question is - who is the upgrade on him that we can afford and who would come? I am not saying there aint none, rather than it would be nice if we could discuss names or ideas, pro's and con's rather than slating him off by 2 sentences after every game.

I say we keep Lamela. I don't think we will be able to upgrade on him with the kind of money we will be able to make by selling Lamela. He's been with us for almost 6 years but has been away for a considerable amount of the time due to injury. No club will be too keen on buying a player that is known to be injury-prone.

We all know that our priority should be placed elsewhere. If Eriksen does leave, then we should focus on finding his replacement. There are more discussions on moving Trippier/Aurier on as well, which has been our biggest concern this season. Personally, if Lamela stays fit, he will still be a good squad player to have around - as we've seen from when he stepped up when our starters were out injured or on bad form earlier this season and we also had Lucas as well back then. And Let's not forget Llorente will probably renew his contract this summer.

It's all to say that if Lamela is happy with his current position as the 4th-5th choice in the pecking order in the squad. It's not to say that a player shouldn't be ambitious but I can't say I have great expectations about him going forward. I hope that I will be proven wrong in the near future, but that's just how I feel at the moment. He has the ability to show some flashes of brilliance but we can't rely on him too much as he's not as consistent as he should be if he wants to be part of our best XI, and has been quite injury-prone. For that reason, I don't expect him to start too many games in a row this season or the next season in light our history.

At the end of the day, it's all up to Poch and the board. If Poch still sees something in Lamela, I say why not. We all know that he can still come good if he overcomes his injury. At least he's a good squad player.

Never fails to disappoint!

What is it that you disagree with?
YwoLxYF.jpg

Never posts, so you can't put him on IGNORE.

Oh well.

At the end of the day, it's all up to Poch and the board. If Poch still sees something in Lamela, I say why not. We all know that he can still come good if he overcomes his injury. At least he's a good squad player.
Thats it for me, too. In Poch we trust. We slagged off on Sissoko and now look. I think Poch loves Lamela's work rate. If he only had a right foot he would be top notch. As it is, he can come in and harass other team's play makers. I say keep him unless a stupid offer comes through.

He squared up to one of the coaches before we got rid of him.

Yes. No excuse for that. Lamela cost us £25m + at least as much in wages, 5 1/2 years ago.

Scored crucial goals and carried the team at points. No way would I want to sell him.

Granted, he had a few good games earlier this season. Wouldn't go as far to say he 'carried the team'.

His miss against City sticks in the mind rather like his nutmeg against Townsend sticks in others' minds. (I really don't understand how this bestows upon him 'saintly status'). Rather like his rabona a few years ago. Never to be repeated - thank goodness - only makes his one-footedness more apparent).

Others rate him. I don't.

Last edited:
Yes. No excuse for that. Lamela cost us £25m + at least as much in wages, 5 1/2 years ago.

Granted, he had a few good games earlier this season. Wouldn't go as far to say he 'carried the team'.

His miss against City sticks in the mind rather like his nutmeg against Townsend sticks in others' minds. (I really don't understand how this bestows upon him 'saintly status'). Rather like his rabona a few years ago. Never to be repeated - thank goodness - only makes his one-footedness more apparent).

Others rate him. I don't.

All about opinions mate

I do and it’s not as though we’ve got a large squad to choose from

If fit he’s an excellent option from the bench

I don’t think he’s been 100% fit since he arrived tbh though
Shame

Agreed with the rest of the post. However he's not been fit for 5 1/2 years?

Not 100% no but he’s got close and when he has he’s been one of our best players imv

Anyway he deliberately trod on Fibreglass’ hand so he’s a hero for me

He's happy to be here. Works his bollocks off. DOES produce (his stats are there for all to see). Probably doesn't mind too much that he's on the bench when he sees the likes of Son and Kane ahead of him and isn't on wages higher than those in front of him. NEVER moans about lack of game-time (even if it is down to his fitness).

I'm happy for him to be a squad player and I think he's a much better fit to us than Lucas. Much rather have hard working players who get Tottenham and our philosophy round the team and in our squad than players who don't or new signings who may not get it.

CAN understand why people don't particularly rate him (Not the quickest player, doesn't score as often as we'd like etc.) but you can't NOT like him. He's Spurs through and through. A bit like Eric Dier really in that some don't like him but you can't really deny he has a strong affinity towards this clubs and respects the fucking hell out of it.

People have very short memories on this one. Prior to the injury nightmare, he was huge when things really started to gel under Poch.

I'm biased through loving a player having skill, workrate, and grit in equal measure. He battled through a hugely troublesome beginning with us, and was to the best of my knowledge much-loved in part due that very fact (though I don't whether that was the case on here). Sure, not a huge output in terms of direct implications on goals, but he was absolutely key to how we worked on both sides of the ball for a while there.

So long as Poch is happy with his application and his output on the field, and he himself is happy with what looks like a bit part role for the foreseeable future, then there's zero percent of me thinking, we should move him on. It's uncertain whether we'll see the pre-injury Lamela again, but he's moving into his prime years and seems beyond the injury troubles, so why cut loose at this point.

Outside of our own academy boys, there's no one I'm rooting more for making a positive impact whenever he takes the field than this lad. Not even a contest.

Talking of wanting rid of him is bordering sacrilege imo :pochunimpressed: :lamelashock:

Last edited:
Well we can all disagree on his performance(or agree that he's a squad player - and the Fabregas incident!).

I'd give Lucas longer as he's only been here just over a year.

I'm not particularly sentimental about whether he's 'Spurs through and through' - we all are on the forum. All I'm interested in is that he turns in consistent average or above average performances with the odd 'poor' and an increasing number of 'excellent' ones.

We all want our players to do well - almost 'willing' them to perform - see Soldado, Janssen and Sissoko (thankfully all our prayers have been answered with him!)

Stats can be made to say anything. N'koudou is well up there with his last minute assist!

Back
Top Bottom