Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was playing well for Sevilla when we bought him (all be it not selected for Argentina national side), Sevilla was also noted for their high backline (as we played ours) which he was the main man in. The trouble with him is he actual would play very well but would make one mistake that unfortunately would tend to be punished with a goal scored, which then everyone remained fixated on (we love to focus, almost celebrate the small failings as supporters). Was/is he in the class of our current crop of CB's? Absolutely no. But I think he's better than Utd's CB's (not Bailly), probably on par with Otomendi, better than Musafi, Matip, Lovren, better than Cahill all CB's at our rivals in the top 6 in the PL.

Making a horrendous error that results in a goal and then ultimately a loss against Woolwich is almost impossible to recover from at this club, our fans will hate you for all their mite, obsessing on every single negative, whilst ignoring everything else.

I guess sometimes things just don’t work out for whatever reason. He was one of those players who i didn’t hate, but always thought meh. Seemed to typify the team at the time with people like chiriches, Paulinho (again, wtf!), Bentaleb and Soldado. All players that were technically ok, but never going to help us break through that glass ceiling we were stuck beneath for all those years. I guess that is the problem Sissoko and Llorente have right now. They try, they are ok, but compared to our best XI they aren’t good enough so some people slate them for it. You can’t have 25 1st choice starters in your squad because over half of them wouldnt start each week. I’m pleased that he is doing well in a team that (so far!) hasn’t or can’t hurt us. If England get Argentina in the World Cup though I hope Harry and Dele show no mercy!

I guess sometimes things just don’t work out for whatever reason. He was one of those players who i didn’t hate, but always thought meh. Seemed to typify the team at the time with people like chiriches, Paulinho (again, wtf!), Bentaleb and Soldado. All players that were technically ok, but never going to help us break through that glass ceiling we were stuck beneath for all those years. I guess that is the problem Sissoko and Llorente have right now. They try, they are ok, but compared to our best XI they aren’t good enough so some people slate them for it. You can’t have 25 1st choice starters in your squad because over half of them wouldnt start each week. I’m pleased that he is doing well in a team that (so far!) hasn’t or can’t hurt us. If England get Argentina in the World Cup though I hope Harry and Dele show no mercy!
Swings and roundabouts for me, Fergie won the league with Buttner, Fletcher, Cleverley, Scholes (500yrs old), Giggs (1,000yrs old), Welbeck, Young, Smalling, Jones, Anderson & Evans!

I think he's coming on well. Lamela has that defence opening pass in him that think only Eriksen also has in our squad.

I also think Poch likes that bit of dog that he shows, and the extra maturity from his time out which seems to have added some perspective to him.
or Kane - or Alli
I'd like to see the footage of any defence splitting passes from Lamela, certainly in a prem or above standard game. His strength is in his break up play rather than anything overtly creative, and in that aspect he often seems to get niggly and into trouble.

Well, no not that one. You’ll have to find another. Then another. Then another.
are there that many then?
I remember when he arrived we were assaulted with footage of him playing for Roma and we thought we were getting this wonderfully creative midfield maestro with superb dribbling skills.
We have an undoubtedly able and feisty midfielder, but not the guy who regularly pulls passes like that out of the hat.
I'm not knocking him down, I just dont see him as all that creative a player. A scrapper and a player who will fight for everything, but not anything like Eriksen or even Alli in terms of being able to play killer passes,

sorry - sent before completion

Last edited:
I remember when he arrived we were assaulted with footage of him playing for Roma and we thought we were getting this wonderfully creative midfield maestro with superb dribbling skills.
We have an undoubtedly able and feisty midfielder, but not the guy who regularly pulls passes like that out of the hat.
I'm not knocking him down, I just dont see him as all that creative a player. A scrapper and a player who will fight for everything, but not anything like Eriksen or even Alli in terms of being able to play killer passes,

I think our perception of him is clouded by his big (at the time) price tag and relatively slow start, coupled with his more recent extended absence. Once he'd acclimatised, I believe he showed plenty of creativity. That said, I accept he might not be everyone's cup off tea.

Here's a montage from 2015, which includes a couple of defence-splitting passes:

So, you saw evidence of him as a wonderfully creative maestro with superb dribbling skills with your own eyes, but now believe him to be a feisty midfielder who isn’t creative?

Ok. Each to their own. I choose to believe that his injuries have taken a toll and he’s found it difficult to find form with such a stop start two years. He’s obviously a creative player. We’ve all seen him do it plenty of times before.

So, you saw evidence of him as a wonderfully creative maestro with superb dribbling skills with your own eyes, but now believe him to be a feisty midfielder who isn’t creative?

Ok. Each to their own. I choose to believe that his injuries have taken a toll and he’s found it difficult to find form with such a stop start two years. He’s obviously a creative player. We’ve all seen him do it plenty of times before.
I didn't say that.
You tube compilations are no way to judge any player, and most of the stuff I saw was fairly bland, with a lot of step overs etc. I can only judge him on what I have seen, and that's where his strengths are in my view. I have never said he's talentless, we would not have paid that amount for someone devoid of skill or potential (although its hard for me to say that when we spent the same amount on Sissoko.)
I think he's alright and am pleased we have him at Spurs , but if we had our full squad playing at full potential, I wouldn't start him.

Would you?

Premier League official news, stats, results & videos

Eriksen (21) is second only to Deal Bruyne (28) in total through ball. Dele has the eighth most (11)

In 15/16 Dele had 18, Eriksen 12 and Lamela 12.

But we're repeatedly told that Lamela is the only player cable of "seeing a pass" so I think someone should contact the Premier League and tell them both Dele and Eriksen's numbers are incorrect.
All lies and jests
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

Lamela for me is a player who seems not to have reached his pertentcial with us. We never missed him when he was out, in fact we were better. I am a fan of his but always left frustrated by him. I always feel he could do better. He has great moments and poor. He is somewhere in the middle of all the arguments above.

Lamela for me is a player who seems not to have reached his pertentcial with us. We never missed him when he was out, in fact we were better. I am a fan of his but always left frustrated by him. I always feel he could do better. He has great moments and poor. He is somewhere in the middle of all the arguments above.

But since he's come back into our squad we've lost just once (to the best team in the country) in 21 games. Are currently on our longest unbeaten run in 20+ years and failing to lose tomorrow sees us equal a Premier League record of 11 Premier League games unbeaten.

Whilst the season he was missing was the best in the clubs Premier League history, that's also because Dele Alli performed at the best he ever has done, as well as Son who stepped up admirably (One of which has massively underperformed this year).

He's a good addition to the overall squad and makes our squad better. That's the most important thing

rYaN mAsOn KnOwS fUcK aLl

When you hear that about Lamela, and consider the length of his injury - it must have really really been awful for him to go that long without football and with a nagging fear that he wouldn’t come back as good as before.

Props to him and our management for eventually navigating that recovery. He’s looking good, and will be so useful to have in the run-in.

Back
Top Bottom