Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But the the numerous passes he misses. He had opportunities to play players in and just doesn't see them. He played in a main attacking role and didn't create anything or pose a serious goal threat.
He reminds me of a boxer who looks busy & tidy but doesn't have any knockout power, so the opponent isn't threatened by him.

I’ve always said Lamela is best off the bench. His aggressiveness and the chaos he brings to the pitch is a lot to handle for the tired legs after 60-70 minutes. Hopefully we start using him that way once Dele and Lo Celso are back.

So frustrating. Yes he tries, is passionate, but then we get moments like in the second half where he fails to play the simplest of passes onto Son which would have led to a real goalscoring chance.

I agree, he’s good but he doesn’t have that killer final pass/shot in him.
Peeps here know that I'm not a fan, but the final killer pass is the best trick in his locker. Loads of examples of him (usually coming off the bench and then) finding killer pass on the edge of the area.

Examples:

Citeh away won 2-1 ran through tiring MF and pass to Eriksen to score winner;
Leics home lost 0-1, but Harry one on one that bit the bar, at 0-0, frmo his pass;
Leics away lost 2-1, pass to H for our goal.

I wouldn't tend to use him unless it's from the bench.

I didn't see the game last night. Peeps here saying could have put Son away. I've thought for a long time that he often doesn't pass to Son when latter well placed. I CBA to check the stats, but it wouldn't surprise me if very few of Son's goals were from EL assists.

Peeps here know that I'm not a fan, but the final killer pass is the best trick in his locker. Loads of examples of him (usually coming off the bench and then) finding killer pass on the edge of the area.

Examples:

Citeh away won 2-1 ran through tiring MF and pass to Eriksen to score winner;
Leics home lost 0-1, but Harry one on one that bit the bar, at 0-0, frmo his pass;
Leics away lost 2-1, pass to H for our goal.

I wouldn't tend to use him unless it's from the bench.

I didn't see the game last night. Peeps here saying could have put Son away. I've thought for a long time that he often doesn't pass to Son when latter well placed. I CBA to check the stats, but it wouldn't surprise me if very few of Son's goals were from EL assists.
He gets a few assists but I always feel frustrated that he doesn’t release the ball early enough.

It’s a feeling I get whenever I watch him play.

He came as a player to take us forward and if not replace Bale, add something extra.

Nobody can talk of one big game when he has been the main man. Nobody unless they live in a parallel universe.

He ain't a starting 11 player and for me is just good enough for a squad place within our 22.

He gets infinitely more leeway because he nearly always puts in a shift.

He gets infinitely more leeway because he nearly always puts in a shift.

Yeah which is more than can be said for a number of our players... Not exactly asking much as fans but if you can't put in 100% like Lamela the psycho does every game then you need to have a look at yourself as a player.

Yes he missed a couple of good passing opportunities last night but he is rusty just like everyone else. At least he played the game like it was an actual premier league crucial game and not like a training exercise.

Yeah which is more than can be said for a number of our players... Not exactly asking much as fans but if you can't put in 100% like Lamela the psycho does every game then you need to have a look at yourself as a player.

Yes he missed a couple of good passing opportunities last night but he is rusty just like everyone else. At least he played the game like it was an actual premier league crucial game and not like a training exercise.

I give you that mate but 11 of Lamelas quality giving 100% every game sees us finish in the top 8 at best.

He’s was demonstratively our best player the entire time he was on. Held the ball well, kept position, shuttled it forward, consistently pester United’s midfield. This is not the match to say Lamela was bad.

I actually think that both camps are right. Those who say he played well and those who say he didn't.

He tracked back well to midfield and even to defense! He put pressure on ManU players and took their room away. I assume that this was why Mou put him on from the start - so that our midfield and defense would have support and to take room away from ManU CM players.

At the same time he was bad at picking out accurate balls and making correct decisions in final 3rd. Something that you would expect from a nr10 to be honest. I mean this 1st half moment where Son was just showing with his hands where and when he wanted the ball... and then Coco delivered it. Late and off mark unfortunately.

Maybe he could have been better instead of Winks yesterday? And someone whith better passing like Ndombele at nr 10?

P.S NO WAY IN HELL was he better than Hugo Lloris ?!?! Hugo kept out at least 2 clear goals. How was Cocos contribution greater than 2 goals ?!?

Last edited:
I actually think that both camps are right. Those who say he played well and those who say he didn't.

He tracked back well to midfield and even to defense! He put pressure on ManU players and took their room away. I assume that this was why Mou put him on from the start - so that our midfield and defense would have support and to take room away from ManU CM players.

At the same time he was bad at picking out accurate balls and making correct decisions in final 3rd. Something that you would expect from a nr10 to be honest. I mean this 1st half moment where Son was just showing with his hands where and when he wanted the ball... and then Coco delivered it. Late and off mark unfortunately.

Maybe he could have been better instead of Winks yesterday? And someone whith better passing like Ndombele at nr 10?

P.S NO WAY IN HELL was he better than Hugo Lloris ?!?! Hugo kept out at least 2 clear goals. How was Cocos contribution greater than 2 goals ?!?
He did well enough but there’s always an element of frustration with him.

I repsect that he always gives 100% and maintains his aggression every game. But he does have his limitations, like his tendency to release the ball late which always frustrates the hell out of me, like that 1st half pass for Son last night.

He certainly ain’t nailing down the CAM role anytime soon, but no one can say the guy doesn’t try. He’s a good impact man coming in from the wide positions and usually from the bench. Poch and Jose both seem to like his spirit, cause his technical ability is a little bit off ...At times.

My take on Lamela is that he has head issues. The physical talent is there but he’s just not got the right thought processes. When, and even before, you receive the ball you should have a pretty good idea what you want to do with it. Or at least have it narrowed down to 2-3. I think he has 5-6 strategies in mind, which devolves into chaos.

Ritalin......problem solved.

My take on Lamela is that he has head issues. The physical talent is there but he’s just not got the right thought processes. When, and even before, you receive the ball you should have a pretty good idea what you want to do with it. Or at least have it narrowed down to 2-3. I think he has 5-6 strategies in mind, which devolves into chaos.

Ritalin......problem solved.

Have you met Zest Zest ? ....You should get your heads together for a think-tank and solve all the clubs problems.

Back
Top Bottom