Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If it’s a choice to sell Dele or Lamela? Dele to go any day of the week. What a fantastic attitude, passion and drive this guy has. Is he the best footballer? No, but he’s one of the best squad players we have got and you know for a fact, you will get 110% effort every time he is on the pitch. I frigging love Lamela.

I just love the bloke really. Just go with me here. Is it that we havent seen him at his footballing best, due to the injuries and repeated gaps in his availability to play top flight games consistently for the club - because we've seen how he has adapted to be the most wonderful shithouse premier league player - and if he does get 30+ games a season under his belt he'll show us hes a very decent baller too? Or is it that he has plateued at his level, and his desire is greater than his ability now and thats what we'll get from him..

How about everyone who has slagged off Lamela, who has put him on their "must sell" list puts their hands up and admits he was fantastic tonight, playing out of position?

Lamela is everything I've ever loved in Spurs players - frustrating, brilliant, injured, 100% Tottenham

Last edited:
Played well today. We're all sick to death of him and you can't rely on him to be fit for long stretches, but he's a creative attacking player who adds a bit of spark to the game and I'm betting he'll be central to our cup campaigns this year because we don't really have other places to look for that.

He gives us something different and he always gives 100%

I would hate to play against him

I've always liked Lamela. Never said a bad word about him. He is not the player we bought all those years ago, he is talented but most of all he is massively hard-working and dedicated and also a complete cunt to play against. No one seems to like playing against him cause he just is like a dog bitting at your ankles who won't fuck off. Great goal today when we needed it and a pen too. For me, he was MOTM to be honest.

tenor.gif

I've always said about Lamela that from six yards out in early rounds domestic cup matches and Europa League games, he's a fucking assassin. A killer. Never thought he'd miss that chance, or the one against the Macedonians.

I just wish he did a bit more at PL level or against Leipzig when we needed him to step up.

Above all I just want this thread to not be just a complete reflection of his career at spurs after every 90 mins every time we win or lose, he has done it enough times, we know his role and he never fucking complains, as others are said, this is what we need

If he had half as much ability as he does passion he'd be the best player on the pitch

Injuries and personal issues stopped him developing into a world beater but he would die for the shirt and I'd take him over someone like Ali who has the talent and no heart everyday

I slagged him off during the match, glad he proved me wrong. I love him and always will, he always brings the fight to a performance, but can we please just get him working on releasing the ball earlier in training? he would be so much more useful if he could just nip that in the bud.

he has it in him to link up with players well but he needs to stop dawdling.

Last edited:
I'd like to see him get the role of cover for NDombele & LoCelso. Think it could be trained into him, his energy would permeate better from inside.

Definite keeper for me.

Rare is the player who has the ability to step into a top team and not look out of place, but is still a positive squad influence having spent most of his Spurs career on the bench.

No he never reached the potential we hoped, but rarely got a consist run of 90 min games and beset by injuries. Also worth noting that the guy keeps himself in Ronaldo-esque shape, he's a machine. Kinda of guy who goes studs up into the shower

I just remembered another of my highlights from last night. From his interview after the match*:

REPORTER: 'So I see you have odd boots on. What's that about then? Some ridiculous modern footballer fashion statement? Or some pathetic superstition?'
COCO: ' No. I've got a disability actually, you prick!'

* May not be quoting word for word

Serie A is completely different to Premier League. Much slower. Less intense.
Lamela was not a grafter for Roma. He was a silky wide forward who had a good positional sense to score goals.
In his first and majority of his second season at Spurs, it was blatantly clear that his style of play was completely incompatible to the Premier League. Through a combination of Pochettino's persistence and brilliant coaching, coupled with Lamelas own incredible work rate and desire, he drastically altered his play style and physique to become a competent Premier League player, through nothing more than grafting and hard work.
Lamela is a very average player technically. Injury or not, this would not have changed. The theory that injury prevented him from become a superstar for us is romantic revisionism and wide of the mark

Though was that "brilliant coaching" really?

I would say that in such instance as you describe, it would have been most efficient solution to sell him for like 20-25 mil EUR if there would have been any takers and move on if player does not fit into the league. And then use the money to find a player who does...
Because this 20-25 back then was massive money, something that could have brought something better than squad player for mostly lesser competitions like Carabao and EL.

Back
Top Bottom