Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Same old story with Lamela starts the season fired looks like he might add a bit of value to the squad breaks down fades into obscurity as the intensity of the season ramps up, hopefully he can break the cycle because he actually looked good early in the season. At least we have far more depth now so he's not one we have to rely on.
He's chronically injured, mate. He broke his back when he first signed for us, which I believe has lead to all the usual and expected complications you get from such an injury.

(Whilst it's never been specifically detailed to us publicly, all of his subsequent injuries are identical to those I had, still do have, when I fractured my back and prolapsed my disk. You can fix the break, no problem but there is all manner of unseen nerve damage, effecting hammies and hip flexors. It's like trying to iron out an air bubble trapped under sticky plastic, to get rid of it you push it down only for it to pop up elsewhere. It's a lot more complicated than that as sometimes the nerves tell you you've pulled a hammy, you have all the pain, the inability not to use it but in fact, scans will show it's fine, it's just the damaged nerves fucking with your brain).

I think he is in absolute brilliant shape looking at him, his posture looks spot on, there's not an ounce of excess on him. With this injury in the fairly recent past, it would have simply ended many players careers. He manages it really well and it's hugely impressive he gets out onto the field and performs to the level he does.

But this is the reality, it is impossible to expect anything different. He will work hard off the pitch, get a run of games, put in some sound performances it will breakdown, the cycle will begin again. I can't wait for him to be available for selection again, he's important to the team. That run will be for 'x' games then the cycle will repeat.

If he's fit over Christmas then perfect timing, maybe this is what they are targeting and preparing his next run of games will be??

Last edited:
He's chronically injured, mate. He broke his back when he first signed for us, which I believe has lead to all the usual and expected complications you get from such an injury.

(Whilst it's never been specifically detailed to us publicly, all of his subsequent injuries are identical to those I had, still do have, when I fractured my back and prolapsed my disk. You can fix the break, no problem but there is all manner of unseen nerve damage, effecting hammies and hip flexors. It's like trying to iron out an air bubble trapped under sticky plastic, to get rid of it you push it down only for it to pop up elsewhere. It's a lot more complicated than that as sometimes the nerves tell you you've pulled a hammy, you have all the pain, the inability not to use it but in fact, scans will show it's fine, it's just the damaged nerves fucking with your brain).

I think he is in absolute brilliant shape looking at him, his posture looks spot on, there's not an ounce of excess on him. With this injury in the fairly recent past, it would have simply ended many players careers. He manages it really well and it's hugely impressive he gets out onto the field and performs to the level he does.

But this is the reality, it is impossible to expect anything different. He will work hard off the pitch, get a run of games, put in some sound performances it will breakdown, the cycle will begin again. I can't wait for him to be available for selection again, he's important to the team. That run will be for 'x' games then the cycle will repeat.

If he's fit over Christmas then perfect timing, maybe this is what they are targeting and preparing his next run of games will be??
And you over compensate other parts of your body like your hip which explains a lot but he always gives 100% for us when he’s on the pitch
Can’t always say that about some!!

When fit he always starts for me

And you over compensate other parts of your body like your hip which explains a lot but he always gives 100% for us when he’s on the pitch

I might not have him start every game, there are some games he suits better than others, for instance, if we are playing low-block fast counter football then I'd have Son, Bergwjin, Kane, Lo Celso (not sure about Bale yet) and probably Lucas over him. BUT if we are planning more possession then I'd have him over Lucas and/or Bergwjin. Goes without saying him on the pitch against Woolwich and Chavs is a beautiful thing, no matter the system or other personnel.

Yeah, i slipped a disc a few years ago. Agony, and you get so many niggles everywhere. Mine has only started settling down in the last 6 months.

I can't remember the last time he was in contention, let alone played.
Does Jose rate him enough to overlook the injury problems?
I actually thought about writing something similar earlier on today, but thought what’s the point.

He’s always injured - he’s good enough when healthy but how often is that?

No one would buy him but I’d like him sold and replaced with someone we could count on to play frequently.

What's weird is that he's clearly training.

He's in other footballers instagram stories in training gear etc. - his instagram story today was him in training gear holding a pair of his boots that had mud and grass on them....

Well... as per usual. When we need him most, he is nowhere to be seen. Just like the previous year injury crises.

I love the guy's attitude and was one of his biggest defenders like 2 years ago. But come on. It's painfully obvious - we can't count on his fitness. And even if he is fit, he is not much of an improvement over Bergwijn and Moura.

It was speculated in media that Mou would like to add a box-to-box CM + CB into the team. We ain't gonna be able to afford homegrown players. And when overseas players spots are limited, he is the 1st guy to make way. Harsh but true.

If Sessegnon makes the grade at Hoffenheim and shows the quality we thought we were getting them he can replace Lamela in the squad but only if he proves his worth.

Lamela is just a massive disappointment bevause even on those rare occasions when he looks good he gets injured.

Depressing.

It must be a nightmare to live with. But are Tottenham going to pay for that until one day he or some doctor says; hes had it. I knew that without any license years ago. Turn off the wage tap!

It must be a nightmare to live with. But are Tottenham going to pay for that until one day he or some doctor says; hes had it. I knew that without any license years ago. Turn off the wage tap!
Why would he be a nightmare to live with?

They know exactly what's wrong with him, his injury is and has been "managed" by the club since he joined. Clearly, after EIGHT YEARS (one of, if not the longest-serving member of this squad) the Club have weighed up the options on his wages, transfer fee and then replacement costs (fee/wages) and see him as value being here. I certainly do.

Or, maybe he just keeps his nut down, sneaks in the training ground through a trap door and everyone at the Club has no idea that he's still on our books.

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Why would he be a nightmare to live with?

They know exactly what's wrong with him, his injury is and has been "managed" by the club since he joined. Clearly, after EIGHT YEARS (one of, if not the longest-serving member of this squad) the Club have weighed up the options on his wages, transfer fee and then replacement costs (fee/wages) and see him as value being here. I certainly do.

Or, maybe he just keeps his nut down, sneaks in the training ground through a trap door and everyone at the Club has no idea that he's still on our books.

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg
IT must be a nightmare to live with. For him . Try reading again

Absolutely love Erik and I think he’s one of the better players in our squad when fit.
But he’s chronically injured. So much so he isn’t reliable. It does make you question the latest contract.

Seriously don't get where those claims are coming from.

No. Erik Lamela at his best form is a good player. His main asset is workrate, agressiveness and ability to read the game.
But at the same time, he takes too much time to make a decision, he too often just runs into 2 or 3 defenders and loses the ball, and his through-balls, upward passes are often only ALMOST there (so either slightly under or overhit).

We have players like Kane, Son, Ndombele, Hjojberg, Alderweireld, Regulion, Lloris who are far superior footballers in their overall game-wise. Lamela is not "one of better players". He is a squad player and no doubt useful for us, at times. But all in all if we look at where we could stengten - it is by having someone with availability and ability in his place.

Back
Top Bottom