Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lamela gives a lot more of an option off the bench than Lucas Moura.
His injury record is a problem but as has been stated above, this is likely to make it very difficult to shift him for anything this summer. So ideally we get another year out of him and part ways in 2022.
We need more goals out of the 2 in the front 4 not called Son or Kane. Given a run of games I reckon Lamela would score more than Bergwijn or Moura to be honest.

We need more goals out of the 2 in the front 4 not called Son or Kane. Given a run of games I reckon Lamela would score more than Bergwijn or Moura to be honest.
You're giving Lamela goal scoring way too much credit.

Of the three, he's probably the worst finisher. Jury's still out on Bergwijn but I can't imagine him being worse than Lamela.

You're giving Lamela goal scoring way too much credit.

Of the three, he's probably the worst finisher. Jury's still out on Bergwijn but I can't imagine him being worse than Lamela.
Just going on the numbers Moura is easily the best of the 3, but I think that the problem is the one the other poster raised ... Lamela can't seem to stay fit.

Weird.

Out of the three - I think Bergwijn is the better finisher personally. And the stats have shown that since Bergwijn has been here.

Lucas has 1 league goal since January 2020. Lamela has 0.

Bergwijn has 3. In fact, including assists, he's been involved in more goals than both Lucas and Lamela put together.

Both Lamela and Moura should be sold as soon as possible but as mentioned above Lamela provides something, pressing ability, off the bench while Moura offers nothing. Combine that with his injury history he is likely harder to move so if we are keeping one, Lamela makes a lot more sense to keep over Moura.

But in reality they are both guys we desperately need to upgrade.

Both Lamela and Moura should be sold as soon as possible but as mentioned above Lamela provides something, pressing ability, off the bench while Moura offers nothing. Combine that with his injury history he is likely harder to move so if we are keeping one, Lamela makes a lot more sense to keep over Moura.

But in reality they are both guys we desperately need to upgrade.
Being completely honest it would be possible to upgrade on all 3, I just like Lamela more.

Being completely honest it would be possible to upgrade on all 3, I just like Lamela more.

I agree.

I admit that I have a soft spot for Bergwijn and maybe give him more rope than his performances deserve. I also realize that replacing 3 guys from the same (basically) position is unlikely so left him out.

I also think that Bergwijn works for what Jose wants to do and has the skills that he could also work if we brought in a new manager (please, please, please).

He’s still always available though. I’d rather have players who are always available and give 100% effort than a player who is available 60% of the time.

Lucas receives way too much hate from Spurs fans.

Available 100% and tries hard but does nothing. This isn't youth soccer, trying hard is nice but we need actual talent not just good efforts.

Lucas has shown over his time here that he is not close to good enough and yet he is constantly defended largely based on one game. He gets way more credit and defending from Spurs fans than he deserves. That was a great night but we cannot keep guys who do not contribute and are not good enough because they had one good game in their 80+ games with the club.

Available 100% and tries hard but does nothing. This isn't youth soccer, trying hard is nice but we need actual talent not just good efforts.

Lucas has shown over his time here that he is not close to good enough and yet he is constantly defended largely based on one game. He gets way more credit and defending from Spurs fans than he deserves. That was a great night but we cannot keep guys who do not contribute and are not good enough because they had one good game in their 80+ games with the club.
You could make the same argument for Lamela, Winks, Davies, Dele and others. We can’t have a squad of world class players unfortunately.

I’m not saying I want Lucas over anyone. I’m saying I’ll take him over Lamela because he’s at least going to be available.

You could make the same argument for Lamela, Winks, Davies, Dele and others. We can’t have a squad of world class players unfortunately.

I’m not saying I want Lucas over anyone. I’m saying I’ll take him over Lamela because he’s at least going to be available.

I would agree on most of the guys you listed. Which is why a team needs to rotate out guys that are no longer contributing.

It doesn't have to be world class players, but guys who can contribute would be nice. There are plenty of guys who are not world class but still can help a team out.

Moura could have easily been replaced by guys who would help this team out in many different ways and aren't world class.

No matter how little Lucas contributes, it is still worth more than the zero contribution from Lamela who spends so much time with the doctors that he should have graduated med school

No matter how little Lucas contributes, it is still worth more than the zero contribution from Lamela who spends so much time with the doctors that he should have graduated med school

I have advocated for moving on from Lamela as well.

It is possible for wanting to sell both.

I have already said the reason I keep Lamela if it is an either or proposition is that a. with his injury history likely that moving Lamela would be tough and b. he is effective at pressing. So he has something, as limited as it is that he can do.

Moura offers nothing. He is terrible with the ball at his feet, he isn't good defensively, he is not effective at pressing and more often than not he kills our attacking play.

I have advocated for moving on from Lamela as well.

It is possible for wanting to sell both.

I have already said the reason I keep Lamela if it is an either or proposition is that a. with his injury history likely that moving Lamela would be tough and b. he is effective at pressing. So he has something, as limited as it is that he can do.

Moura offers nothing. He is terrible with the ball at his feet, he isn't good defensively, he is not effective at pressing and more often than not he kills our attacking play.
What are you keeping in Lamela when is almost never available? There is nothing to keep.

Moura offers something no matter how little else he wont be playing in games. A player that offers nothing will not get 35 NT caps in a country like Brazil.

What are you keeping in Lamela when is almost never available? There is nothing to keep.

Moura offers something no matter how little else he wont be playing in games. A player that offers nothing will not get 35 NT caps in a country like Brazil.

Lucas Moura has 4 appearances for Brazil since 2013, that is even less relevant than his one night in Amsterdam.

Again get rid of Lamela as well, you keep trying to spin it back to him does nothing to change the fact that Moura should be gone.

Personally Lamela not being available and Moura sucks is the same thing to me, I don't either on the field, so Lamela being injured doesn't hurt him at all.

He’s still always available though. I’d rather have players who are always available and give 100% effort than a player who is available 60% of the time.

Lucas receives way too much hate from Spurs fans.
I'd get rid of both of them and get someone who stays fit and does more than run into the nearest player.

Just going on the numbers Moura is easily the best of the 3, but I think that the problem is the one the other poster raised ... Lamela can't seem to stay fit.
The conundrum with Lamela is, has his nagging injuries sort of helped people's view of him? Would he still be here if not for his constant injuries? Would he have gone to Marseille, back to Roma or Argentina?

Back
Top Bottom