Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Erik Lamela available for tomorrow?​

"(Long pause) He is but I don't know, but I think you understand what I want to mean. He can be selected for tomorrow, he can. Legally he can but I still have a decision to make."

So in other words, still in the doghouse over the covid breach, which is fair enough. What he and the others did endangered our entire season.

Just imagine if there had been an outbreak that required the entire first team to isolate for 10 days? We would be completely screwed with our schedule.

So in other words, still in the doghouse over the covid breach, which is fair enough. What he and the others did endangered our entire season.

Just imagine if there had been an outbreak that required the entire first team to isolate for 10 days? We would be completely screwed with our schedule.
If that photo didn't get out, many would still believe he always puts us first & would run through brick walls for us.

If that photo didn't get out, many would still believe he always puts us first & would run through brick walls for us.

Let's be real, most of our players have probably broken the rules. Let's not forget that Mourinho himself broke the rules during the first lockdown. As far as I can tell, our players are still getting their hair cut so unless we have a club barber on staff that's a breach of the rules too.

Lamela deserves severe criticism but there were two other players at that party and they deserve just as much.

Not sure why Lamela seems to be singled out over the others, maybe the organiser?
That´s my theory from the beginning.

Reguilón was in the squad for the very next game after Christmas, while Lo Celso is injured - so it´s a bit more difficult to understand his situation.

Jose´s words about Lamela were really dark since they found out about the party, though.

Even when he mentioned the "amazing gift" he sent to Reguilón and the major disappointment with him afterwards, it didn´t sound as bad as today´s words about the Argentinian.

Last edited:
Let's be real, most of our players have probably broken the rules. Let's not forget that Mourinho himself broke the rules during the first lockdown. As far as I can tell, our players are still getting their hair cut so unless we have a club barber on staff that's a breach of the rules too.

Lamela deserves severe criticism but there were two other players at that party and they deserve just as much.
Probably only kane hasn't broken the rules! Thats why I don't say stuff like ndombele or davies or Toby etc loves the club & puts us first & would run through brickwalls for us. None would, including lamela. Lamela gets singled out time & time again for being so commited to us & for putting the club first. When the truth is he would rather go to a dinner party than play for us. The lamela myth.

Not sure why Lamela seems to be singled out over the others, maybe the organiser? However we really need to offload, 18 months left on his contract and it would be the height of insanity to give him another one.
Mourinho will have his reasons. I think the fact he barely plays & gets paid very well doesn't help. Unavailable for massive chunks & then does this. Seems worse when it someone who is unavailable a lot but doesn't seem to care. Gets 100k per week to do nothing & then risked making lots of our players unavailable. The club stood by him & commited to a new expensive contract despite his injury problems & this is how he repays them.

I think Mourinho is probably very disappointed that a player who shows such hunger to play through his injuries could make such a terrible mistake. Let's not forget that he actually got the virus and could have ruined our entire season if it spread through the squad.

The fact that he had a positive test result is probably what has led to his time in the doghouse. He came within a gnat's pube of bringing the entire club to it's knees. It's right that there is a sporting consequence for his mistake.

That´s my theory from the beginning.

Reguilón was in the squad for the very next game after Christmas, while Lo Celso is injured - so it´s a bit more difficult to understand his situation.

Jose´s words about Lamela were really dark since they found out about the party, though.

Even when he mentioned the "amazing gift" he sent to Reguilón and the major disappointment with him afterwards, it didn´t sound as bad as today´s words about the Argentinian.
Obviously he threw the party !

Mourinho will have his reasons. I think the fact he barely plays & gets paid very well doesn't help. Unavailable for massive chunks & then does this. Seems worse when it someone who is unavailable a lot but doesn't seem to care. Gets 100k per week to do nothing & then risked making lots of our players unavailable. The club stood by him & commited to a new expensive contract despite his injury problems & this is how he repays them.
This is the truth of it. He has been cut a lot of slack. both the reviled Sissoko and Aurier were gooners but they never fail to be available they always work they play with injury. In Aurier case he played when we needed him in the aftermath of his brothers murder. Lamela is good at playing to the base whilst actually doing very little for year after year of renumeration.

This is the truth of it. He has been cut a lot of slack. both the reviled Sissoko and Aurier were gooners but they never fail to be available they always work they play with injury. In Aurier case he played when we needed him in the aftermath of his brothers murder. Lamela is good at playing to the base whilst actually doing very little for year after year of renumeration.
Totally agree. Very low productivity but highly valued. A lot of our fan's get fooled by him. The amount of times we hear "we could have done with lamela. "Can't wait for lamela to get back, we will be a much better team". "I love lamela". Its very strange. But in a way not. I think so many have backed him & been proven wrong season after season. So instead of admitting it, they double down & stick with saying he is worth the 100k per week. Despite him being injured a lot & not often a guaranteed starting 11 player.

I love Lamela for the way he never gives up on the field, he's like a terrier after a bone, but he's been so disappointing to me in terms of value for money. He's on a decent wage, but it always appears he spend more time injured than fit.
If I recall correctly he had something like 20 goals and 15 assists in about 60 games for Roma, but for us I think he's got similar goals and assists in over 200 appearances. I know a lot of those appearances have been coming on as sub, but I still think he should have been more productive.

Back
Top Bottom