Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love Lamela for the way he never gives up on the field, he's like a terrier after a bone, but he's been so disappointing to me in terms of value for money. He's on a decent wage, but it always appears he spend more time injured than fit.
If I recall correctly he had something like 20 goals and 15 assists in about 60 games for Roma, but for us I think he's got similar goals and assists in over 200 appearances. I know a lot of those appearances have been coming on as sub, but I still think he should have been more productive.

Over the last 3 or 4 seasons he's probably averaged only about 1,500 minutes on the pitch (circa 16 full matches) a season or maybe 30% of the matches. Erik Lamela - Stats 18/19 | Transfermarkt

Crudely we need 3 Lamela's to fill one place in the team for a season - and if every player was like that we'd need 66 players to have a full team and a back up team (as we have now) to put that into perspective.

Puts his injuries into perspective.

And in whatever other job would you receive a full wage if you were not available 70% of the time ?

Problem is he is probably not saleable - who else would want his wages given his lack of playing time - but if there is a way to sell him we should have done it yesterday and get someone half decent who is fit most of the time

He is as saleable as Ledley King was towards the end. No one will buy him and he is here to the end of his contract and Levy will have to decide if he is getting another one. I think his injuries were well known at the time of his last contract and knowing Levy he may have a clause in there restricting pay if not fit. Certainly any new contract should be on a pay if fit and available basis.

Over the last 3 or 4 seasons he's probably averaged only about 1,500 minutes on the pitch (circa 16 full matches) a season or maybe 30% of the matches. Erik Lamela - Stats 18/19 | Transfermarkt

Crudely we need 3 Lamela's to fill one place in the team for a season - and if every player was like that we'd need 66 players to have a full team and a back up team (as we have now) to put that into perspective.

Puts his injuries into perspective.

And in whatever other job would you receive a full wage if you were not available 70% of the time ?

Problem is he is probably not saleable - who else would want his wages given his lack of playing time - but if there is a way to sell him we should have done it yesterday and get someone half decent who is fit most of the time
Levy screwed up giving him a new contract. Over 5m a year wasted.

Levy screwed up giving him a new contract. Over 5m a year wasted.

I suspect the contract extension pushed as a favour from one Argentinian to another.

But certainly a screw up tp give a new contract of that length.

Hopefully a significant amount of 'pay as you play' to limit the £ damage as well

I couldn't care less about what he says or does elsewhere. All I am concerned with is how he performs for Spurs and he normally puts in a good shift.
We can't sell him so we might as well use him.

Been saying it for years but Lamela is not the quality player we need in our squad. According to his injury history, he’s been on the injury list for approximately 2 years of his 7.5 year stint at Spurs but it feels a lot longer than that. I don’t think this takes into account recovery/training to match fitness or a lot of one matches he misses. I loved Lamela when he first came here. I thought himself and Eriksen could have formed a really good partnership with Eriksen pulling the strings from deep and Lamela making those deft touches in, or near, the box but he’s been here long enough to know that it’s just not going to work out the way we had hoped. He’s 28 now and will be 29 next year when he finishes his contract. We really should be trying to sell him this month but I can’t see it happening. I don’t know who would buy him.

Having said that, I really do like his tenacity and passion for the club. It’s infectious on the field and the other players lift their game because of it. It’s very unfortunate he’s so injury prone as I think he could have been a solid, reliable player for us.

I couldn't care less about what he says or does elsewhere. All I am concerned with is how he performs for Spurs and he normally puts in a good shift.
We can't sell him so we might as well use him.
We can't use him either since he's always hurt. It is hard to get a team into a routine and have players clicking when one player is constantly in and out. By the time guys get used to playing with him, he's out another two months.

Congress/Parliament.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

From afar, it seems Mou is holding Lamela responsible for the Christmas day event that broke quarantine protocols.

Is that true? Reggie is playing, Lamela seems to be the one paying the steepest price, but both broke protocols.

Am I misreading this?

From afar, it seems Mou is holding Lamela responsible for the Christmas day event that broke quarantine protocols.

Is that true? Reggie is playing, Lamela seems to be the one paying the steepest price, but both broke protocols.

Am I misreading this?

Did I miss some comments from Jose that you are basing this on?

Lamela seems to not be playing because of the same combination of injuries and limited ability that always keeps him out. He doesn't seem to be having the Christmas day events holding him back.

Am I misreading this?

The only thing I can think of is that Reguilon lives on his own so he was able to form a support bubble with one other household. He may have done that with Lamela and gone to his thinking it would just be them for dinner not realising Lamela had invited other people. I know I'm clutching at straws here, but I can't think what else it might be.

Unless of course his absence is nothing to do with the party at all and purely down to injury or illness. I heard that there were positive tests after that party, but I'm not sure if that's been confirmed by the club.

The only thing I can think of is that Reguilon lives on his own so he was able to form a support bubble with one other household. He may have done that with Lamela and gone to his thinking it would just be them for dinner not realising Lamela had invited other people. I know I'm clutching at straws here, but I can't think what else it might be.

Unless of course his absence is nothing to do with the party at all and purely down to injury or illness. I heard that there were positive tests after that party, but I'm not sure if that's been confirmed by the club.
I thought the host was Lo Celso and Lamela was a guest.

Did I miss some comments from Jose that you are basing this on?

Lamela seems to not be playing because of the same combination of injuries and limited ability that always keeps him out. He doesn't seem to be having the Christmas day events holding him back.
Maybe i'm just not understanding his recent comments about Lamela and whether or not he's available, and his reference to "legal" reasons.

Not trying to stir the pot, genuinely confused because Mou isn't being very transparent. (Also not arguing he's done anything wrong in that regard, just making an observation).

Maybe i'm just not understanding his recent comments about Lamela and whether or not he's available, and his reference to "legal" reasons.

Not trying to stir the pot, genuinely confused because Mou isn't being very transparent. (Also not arguing he's done anything wrong in that regard, just making an observation).
I just think that's an anachronism of English not being Jose first language. You should hear my Portuguese. Don't think he meant it as sinister as it came across.

Back
Top Bottom