\0/\0/ Poland Vs England - Weds 8th Sept KO 8pm \0/\0/

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Both he and Grealish did my fucking nut in tonight..... So much so that it largely distracted me from Mount's usual mediocrity.

Mount for Chelsea is a different beast. It can only be down to Southgate and what he says he wants from Mason.

For Chelsea, Mount is always a goal threat. He makes countless runs into the oppositions box. For England, you can count on one hand how many times you've seen him do that and still have fingers to spare. If we're going to play Rice and Phillips together then we need to allow Mount to just concentrate on going past Harry as much as possible, and not running back as much as he does. He's a bit of a nothing player for England at the moment and the manager is responsible for that, as Mount is a quality player.

The thing is in international football now there's a bit of a ceiling on the quality of manager you're going to attract. Club football is just such a superior gig that you're inevitably going to end up with someone unproven or a washed up older manager who will be aware of how loaded the FA are and treat the job as a last big payday before retiring to a huge fuck off mansion. Italy are very fortunate in that they have ended up with a genuinely good manager who hasn't turned shit yet.

I don't see us replacing Southgate with anyone superior who actually cares about the job.

The thing is in international football now there's a bit of a ceiling on the quality of manager you're going to attract. Club football is just such a superior gig that you're going to end up with someone unproven or a washed up older manager who will treat the job as a last big payday before moving to a huge fuck off mansion.

Italy are very fortunate in that they have ended up with a genuinely good manager who hasn't turned shit yet in charge.

With Mancini in charge we win the Euro's this year, 100%. It's not even debatable.

Why are you so offended by booing? It's a free choice - same as taking the knee, etc
Here We Go Again GIF by MOODMAN

England have 16 points from 18 so far, Southgate is doing a good job. We need a playmaker but there really isn't one available.

I think we just need to be more decisive. There's a lot to like about our team but we throw away a lot of leads. As good as Grealish is for what he offers, he's still yet to score an England goal. Sterling's record has been excellent over the last two or three years, but he's still an extremely erratic player when it comes to his finishing and end product. So when two of your front three are hardly clinical, and there's not a lot of goals in your midfield, it's no wonder we don't score a lot of goals and also seem to let a lot of leads slip.

I think we just need to be more decisive. There's a lot to like about our team but we throw away a lot of leads. As good as Grealish is for what he offers, he's still yet to score an England goal. Sterling's record has been excellent over the last two or three years, but he's still an extremely erratic player when it comes to his finishing and end product. So when two of your front three are hardly clinical, and there's not a lot of goals in your midfield, it's no wonder we don't score a lot of goals and also seem to let a lot of leads slip.

Just to add, and it would be incredibly harsh (maybe even silly) to drop Sterling. But if you replace him and Grealish with Foden and Greenwood, you'll see more goals and end product.

Well apart from Kane...

I don't think you're wrong. That should be Mount but in an England shirt it's not quite happened for him yet. Grealish might be capable if you play him more centrally but Southgate's never going to do that. Foden would be capable but he needs to return from injury and get back in the Man City starting 11 before anything else.

Just to add, and it would be incredibly harsh (maybe even silly) to drop Sterling. But if you replace him and Grealish with Foden and Greenwood, you'll see more goals and end product.
I think we'll see them more in the easier qualifiers coming up. Sterling was ineffective last night for sure but has improved his output massively for England and as you say it would be harsh.

I think we have to remember that Southgate is also learning on the job to an extent as he goes along. He wasn't some massively experienced manager prior to him getting the job. I suppose the fact that we're dissapointed after drawing away to Poland, the most difficult game in the group, and controlling most of the game shows how far we have come as a side. There's plenty of England sides in the past that would have buckled under the atmosphere and pressure last night and been turned over.

I don't think you're wrong. That should be Mount but in an England shirt it's not quite happened for him yet. Grealish might be capable if you play him more centrally but Southgate's never going to do that. Foden would be capable but he needs to return from injury and get back in the Man City starting 11 before anything else.
Foden certainly but injured and unavailable for the latest games. He also seems not quite ready for the biggest games just yet, but he could be the key. Mount seems a little average for this level.

Bellingham is the real deal of course, but still incredibly young. We'll see more and more of him, he's going to be a monster.

Back
Top Bottom