18 months without a signing - player mutiny or scrooge Levy?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, I was thinking back to what my mate (@ telegraph sport ) told me about the problems at Spurs regarding much of the squad being upset that they weren't 'rewarded' for what they felt was 'punching above their weight' with consistent top 4 finishes and of course, a champions league final. Is there truth to the rumour of the club refusing all calls from player agents until after the final?

It makes me wonder if our decision to not sign players was more to do with not trying to further unsettle our current squad who had a job to finish. How would it have gone down with the squad if we had brought in Coutinho on 200+ per week; all the while Eriksen; the best midfielder in the EPL and our best player is still sitting on 65k. Was this the logic behind Poch asking for no new players? It is rumoured he offered his resignation if Eriksen was sold in summer 2018.

Its clear that this summer a number of popular players in the squad will leave - Sissoko, Aurier, Dele, Rose and potentially Dier. Are we finally flushing out the trouble makers?

Its clear that this summer a number of popular players in the squad will leave - Sissoko, Aurier, Dele, Rose and potentially Dier. Are we finally flushing out the trouble makers?

I wouldn't say it was clear for Levy. For all we know a new manager could come in and refuse to sell any squad players until he has had a season to work with them to get the best out of them.

I wouldn't say it was clear for Levy. For all we know a new manager could come in and refuse to sell any squad players until he has had a season to work with them to get the best out of them.
This is actually a real possibility. Unless the new manager coming in has had time to prepare and done his homework.

The stadium and covid hit us hard financially.... it was just bad timing I guess. Unlucky?
Projections based on the stadium games we managed to play with full capacity before Covid indicated that we would make around 90 mil a year from just league games or something like that (probably closer to 70 once you factor in things like staff and upkeep). So a global pandemic hitting us right after we opened it is definitely very close to the definition of bad luck/timing.

A positive is that the loans are tied up long term, and once we are able to open the stadium up decently again we should be able to start making some of that money back fairly quickly.

Projections based on the stadium games we managed to play with full capacity before Covid indicated that we would make around 90 mil a year from just league games or something like that (probably closer to 70 once you factor in things like staff and upkeep). So a global pandemic hitting us right after we opened it is definitely very close to the definition of bad luck/timing.

A positive is that the loans are tied up long term, and once we are able to open the stadium up decently again we should be able to start making some of that money back fairly quickly.
Do those figures include other stadium events ?

Edit: just re-read your post and you say "just league games", so there's another lump of money from the other stadium events.

"Signing no one was a masterstroke"

That was the kind of shit continuously peddled on here for months after that window by certain posters

Most of which seem to have disappeared these days funnily enough

Last edited:
"It's strange because my feeling is the worst feeling I've had in the four a half years that I've been here," he said. "It's the worst, my feeling, but it's the best start ever for the club in the Premier League. It's so strange, no? I think in the past I felt better.

"I don't know why, it's so difficult to explain -- [it's] because of the circumstances, because many things happen, because we're disappointed that we're still waiting for the new stadium when the expectation was to be there from the beginning of the season.

"Many things happened in the summer, there are many things that make myself not in my best mood or humour. I know I've always been funny with you and I have a good relationship with you but my feeling is not the best. I had better feelings in previous seasons.

"With the circumstance that happened in the last years, I think the club is not focused completely on winning titles or games," he said. "We have a lot of focuses and you know very well that when you are competing with sides like we are in the Champions League and Premier League, the most important thing is to fight in the same conditions as others.

"Today, we spend a lot of energy on many things. One is to win games, but it's not the priority. For us [as a coaching staff], yes. But the club need to be all focused on trying to win titles.

"I don't have the answer about how we are going to act when we move there [to the new stadium] -- that question is not for me.

"But it's easy to see in the last few years how we act in the [transfer] market, how we act in everything, and how the other teams were acting. That's the difference.

"Maybe when we arrive to the new stadium in the future we will be in the same project, or we are going to act the same as other teams, like Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea and Woolwich.

"That is my wish and I hope for the club, for the fans, for everyone, to be available to fight in the same condition as the other clubs. You will only really know if you are good enough or not when you fight with the same conditions.

"If not, it's too difficult to see. Only you are good because you are competing in the last few years, and the frustration is massive because [despite having] less in every single aspect, you are there, but it's not enough to win or achieve the level that you want."

"Signing no one was a masterstroke"

That was the kind of shit continuously peddled on here for months after that window by certain posters

Most of which seem to have disappeared these funnily enough
Yep. So many swore it was the right thing to do. & got grumpy with others who said it would be a mistake. Things like.....

How can we possible improve on this team? Who do you drop?
We don't need to worry about the likes of liverpool!

How massively wrong they have proven to be!

Scrooge levy. He has form. & being the only club to sign nobody is 100% a levy thing to do. Thinks he knows better than everyone else + doing things on the cheap = claasic levy.

This is actually a real possibility. Unless the new manager coming in has had time to prepare and done his homework.

I am not saying you guys are wrong and it certainly could see it happening but I don't really get this line of thinking.

If a new manager comes in and thinks that he has to see Sissoko, Dier, Aurier, Sanchez, Winks, Lamela for himself he should never be hired. These guys are not good enough and there is zero reason to think that more time is what they need.

I could see if they said that about Ndombele, GLC, Bergwijn even Doherty if they are moving to a 3 at the back system, but the guys above that are clear cut need to go there should be no question about moving them on. In fact that could/should be a question in the interview and if they start waffling on about needing to see what they have, interview over right now.

Poch knew who he wanted, specific players, not Levy's usual bargain bucket signings.

Levy failed to make the signings for whatever reason.

Honestly I think there's so much more to our transfer window shittiness than we think. A young up and coming goalkeeper who had played at a fantastic level then decided to turn down the current CL runners up managed by the supposed best manager in the World to act as back up to Manuel Neuer.

What did we offer guys like De Jong, De Ligt and Nubel? Did we offer to put them instantly into the first team, ask them to fight for their place, or tell them we'd develop them in a few years?

The line of thinking comes from Poch, Jose and now Mason playing Wanks, Sissoko and Dier.

Sorry wasn't going after you but was more the thinking of a new manager. Surely there is more than enough evidence that these guys aren't good under any manager.

Sorry wasn't going after you but was more the thinking of a new manager. Surely there is more than enough evidence that these guys aren't good under any manager.

All good mate. I'm as shocked as you are don't worry. I have no idea what all of them see that we can't.

Either Levy is picking the squad or they are amazing in training. I am all out of ideas about this squad.

So, I was thinking back to what my mate (@ telegraph sport ) told me about the problems at Spurs regarding much of the squad being upset that they weren't 'rewarded' for what they felt was 'punching above their weight' with consistent top 4 finishes and of course, a champions league final. Is there truth to the rumour of the club refusing all calls from player agents until after the final?

It makes me wonder if our decision to not sign players was more to do with not trying to further unsettle our current squad who had a job to finish. How would it have gone down with the squad if we had brought in Coutinho on 200+ per week; all the while Eriksen; the best midfielder in the EPL and our best player is still sitting on 65k. Was this the logic behind Poch asking for no new players? It is rumoured he offered his resignation if Eriksen was sold in summer 2018.

The suckers are definitely to blame which is why we should sell them

A central pivot of Winks-Sissoko again.

LivePettyBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

Back
Top Bottom