1921 - A Romance Of Football - The History of THFC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've just come across this lovely little site that is home to a 1921 published, 36 page book, page for page of the Romance of Football - The History of Tottenham Hotspur FC. A lovely little read for anyone who has the time and desire to learn about the early years from a book nearly 100 years old:

front_cover.jpg

Got a cracking little video link on the site as well:

Last edited:
What an absolutely fantastic book that is.

Really beautiful looking little book isn't it? Love that our first tour was Argentina, that we were almost called Northumberland Rovers until we set a trend away from the norm with the Hotspur push and that the return leg of our first ever game played as a football club was a game where the result 'was not obtained' due to the ball bursting. Love knowing that kind of stuff about the boys.

I've just come across this lovely little site that is home to a 1921 published, 36 page book, page for page of the Romance of Football - The History of Tottenham Hotspur FC. A lovely little read for anyone who has the time and desire to learn about the early years from a book nearly 100 years old:

front_cover.jpg

What an absolutely fantastic book that is.

What a great find.

I never knew our first overseas tour was to …..Argentina.....in about 1907. Astonishing - I always assumed our Argentine connection started with Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa !
In 1908, the spurs team were passengers on the long voyage home after a successful tour of Argentina (Uraguay & Paraguay too). The journey home was via ship which as you can imagine was a very long trip, especially in those days. So, to break the boredom; the squad and the rest of the passengers decided to take part in a fancy dress competition. The fancy dress competition was won by 2 members of the spurs squad dressed as Man Friday and Robinson Crusoe complete with on one of their shoulders the ship's parrot. When the ship got back to England, as recognition for the fun they provided the ship's captain presented the first team with the parrot. The parrot lived at White Hart Lane for the next 11 years.

In 1919, there was the infamous reorganization of the football leagues, depleted by world war I losses. As we all know that year we were relegated and despite finishing in 6th place in Div 2 the scum were promoted into the first Div at the shady business dealings of Henry Norris's bribes to The FA.

And on the very day this happens, the parrot that had been presented to Spurs 11 years before DIED. It is thought that this could be very origin of the term "as sick as a Parrott" came from (there are a collection of other theories as well). In addition to this, the scum were given the nickname at the time as 'the parrot killers'.

front_cover.jpg

What a great find.

I never knew our first overseas tour was to …..Argentina.....in about 1907. Astonishing - I always assumed our Argentine connection started with Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa !

front_cover.jpg

going to the game wearing as suit and hat and tie hilarious

Back
Top Bottom