1987 FA Cup Final - On ITV - Sat 2nd May 2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SpiderSpurs

Supporter
🪃🦘 Bonza!! 🦘🪃
5pm Saturday 2nd May.

My very real hatred of Coventry started on this day in 1987. Tossers.

Bastards.

ITV Football Classics;

1987 FA Cup Final: Coventry City v Tottenham Hotspur

In the absence of live football, the big match returns to ITV's main channel in the form of a classic FA Cup final, with Coventry City taking on Tottenham Hotspur in 1987 at Wembley.

This hour-long retro-tastic festival of football features Ian St John and Jimmy Greaves - known as Saint and Greavsie during their heyday at the helm of ITV's coverage - hosting an hour of match highlights, pre-game atmosphere with fans, and analysis.

It's the first in a series of classic matches featuring on ITV's main channel leading into full coverage of Euro 96 in May on the ITV Hub and ITV4.

They include Woolwich v Man United in the 1979 FA Cup final, the 1989 Liverpool v Woolwich title decider, England v Cameroon in the 1990 World Cup, and England's game against Colombia in the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

On a sunny day in May 1987, Coventry legends including Cyrille Regis, Brian 'Killer' Kilcline and Steve Ogrozovic took on a Spurs side packed with names like Glenn Hoddle, Chris Waddle and Ossie Ardiles, the latter strong favourites with seven FA Cup victories up to that point.

It was Coventry's first ever FA Cup final, and they produced a memorable performance to mark the occasion, as the two sides shared five goals and needed extra time to decide the destination of the Cup.

5pm Saturday 2nd May.

My very real hatred of Coventry started on this day in 1987. Tossers.

Bastards.

ITV Football Classics;

1987 FA Cup Final: Coventry City v Tottenham Hotspur

In the absence of live football, the big match returns to ITV's main channel in the form of a classic FA Cup final, with Coventry City taking on Tottenham Hotspur in 1987 at Wembley.

This hour-long retro-tastic festival of football features Ian St John and Jimmy Greaves - known as Saint and Greavsie during their heyday at the helm of ITV's coverage - hosting an hour of match highlights, pre-game atmosphere with fans, and analysis.

It's the first in a series of classic matches featuring on ITV's main channel leading into full coverage of Euro 96 in May on the ITV Hub and ITV4.

They include Woolwich v Man United in the 1979 FA Cup final, the 1989 Liverpool v Woolwich title decider, England v Cameroon in the 1990 World Cup, and England's game against Colombia in the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

On a sunny day in May 1987, Coventry legends including Cyrille Regis, Brian 'Killer' Kilcline and Steve Ogrozovic took on a Spurs side packed with names like Glenn Hoddle, Chris Waddle and Ossie Ardiles, the latter strong favourites with seven FA Cup victories up to that point.

It was Coventry's first ever FA Cup final, and they produced a memorable performance to mark the occasion, as the two sides shared five goals and needed extra time to decide the destination of the Cup.
Nah, you're alright. I'll give it a miss

Why would any Spurs fan want to relive this? Typical of the media to pick this - now if they had picked the 1981 or 1991 game, I might have tuned in.

This was a travesty. We had played so well all season and ended up with nothing. Losing to Woolwich in the league cup semi when we had totally dominated them over what became 3 games was hard enough to take but I felt we were guaranteed to win this. But we just didn’t turn up. Fancy losing to John Sillett’s journeymen. We had Hoddle, Waddle, Ardiles, Gough, Clemence and peak Clive Allen. They had Greg Downs, Kilcline, Pickering, Gynn and Peake yet we still lost. The shit I took at school was terrible. I still don’t think I am over it!!!!

It's the first in a series of classic matches featuring on ITV's main channel leading into full coverage of Euro 96 in May...

They planning showing any games ArseAnal actually LOST?
nah, thought not, just us then!

If they wanted a late 80s Cup Final shock, the one a year later was pretty shocking!!

I've got a DVD collection of all our finals, so I just put them on when I'm in the mood to re-live those days, at my leisure.
I have a lot of old videos of the cup finals that I recorded myself off TV. Only problem is my recorder is broke and I cannot risk playing them as it chews tapes up. Cannot bring myself to dump them either.
Because of the depressing last few matches and our decline I cannot bring myself to watch any of the online matches on offer even the winning ones and certainly not the losing ones.

Might watch the first 5 minutes then switch it off.
It was a selection error really, if Hughton had played left back with Gary Stevens right back we would have been fine. Mitchell Thomas got slaughtered by their winger.

Back
Top Bottom