1987 - The Spursyest year?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When dawn broke that on that fateful first of January, we stood proudly at the top of the London trophy table along with Woolwich at 14 trophies each. The nearest challengers were Chelsea and West Ham with 4 trophies, and neither were realistic challengers to the two, by now, traditional giants of London football,

In many ways we were at the high water mark of the club's history. The 'Double' was of course our finest hour, but we still then lagged way behind Woolwich in the trophy table. However we outscored Woolwich by a phenomenal 11 trophies to 4 between 1961 and 1984 to level the scores at 14 trophies each.

Furthermore, we had won three trophies since Woolwich had won their last trophy in 1979. We had a team of talented players including Glenn Hoddle, the finest English player of the time, and Clive Allen who was to score 49 goals that season and win both Footballer of the Year awards.

Add in players like Waddle, Mabbutt, Ardilles, Gough, Hodge, Clemence, Danny Thomas, and surely things were set fair for us to at least continue to fight with Woolwich for the top of London spot, if not go past them. We were the glamour team of London, and arguably the best footballing side in the country. We underlined our credentials further that fine day by beating Charlton 2-0 in the League, what could possibly go wrong .....:)

Well, surprise surprise, our North London 'friends' were about to fuck us over, not for the first time. They started their demolition job by beating us 2-1 at the Lane, to realistically end any fleeting title hopes we may have had. But hey we fought back to win 8 of our next 9 games, drawing the other at West Ham in the League Cup but making up for that 'blip' by demolishing them 5-0 in the replay.

Unfortunately we then drew Woolwich in the semi-final and horrible memories of 1968-9 came back to me. Then after us dominating Woolwich for a decade, they scored a late winner at the Lane to end our ascendancy at the time, and they went on to do 'the Double' in 1971. (Incidentally George Graham was in their team then, and had become Woolwich's manager by 1987)

There's probably a parallel universe somewhere where we draw Southampton in the 1987 League Cup semis and Swindon in the 69 season, and it's us who now lead Woolwich in the trophies table :thumbup:

Nevertheless, despite the dreaded semi-final draw in 87, in finest Spursy style we win at Highbury in the first leg 1-0, Clive scores, but misses a couple of other good chances and Hod hits the bar with a thunderbolt free kick.

We then face Woolwich at home on the back of our unbeaten 9 game run. Clive scores again, we're 2-0 up.....:coys:
Then the Spursyness really kicks in somehow we balls it up, and we end up losing 2-1, and then we lose the replay 2-1 after Clive puts us in front once again.

To make matters worse Woolwich go on to win the final, and go back above us in the trophy table. But never fear, we finish above Woolwich in the League and reach the FA Cup Final, where surely we will beat Coventry and go level with Woolwich again ....

The rest as they say is history, we lose the Final, despite taking the lead once again through an early Allen goal. We finally lose 3-2 in extra time after a Coventry cross which is nowhere near the goal is inadvertently turned in by Gary Mabutt's knees.

Two years later Woolwich win the League, and we never get to the top of the London trophy table again. Furthermore Chelsea then overtake us (almost unimaginable back in 1987) and we slide down to become only the '3rd team' in London

Current trophy table, Woolwich 29, Chelsea 21, Spurs 17.

How different from that heady day in January 1987.

NB I have done my best to ensure all the facts quoted in this post are correct, but would naturally welcome any corrections.

Last edited:
86/87 was probably the best Spurs side I have ever seen.
Good call Sean. In my lifetime the best team was the early 60s side, but I was too young to fully appreciate them.

As an adult, the 86-7 team probably played as good football as any Spurs team I've seen, though because they actually won a trophy I'd probably rate the 81/2 team better overall.

Had we bought Hodge earlier, and even better not sold Roberts, that 86-7 team could have won something, and been the best since the 67 team at least.

I should add at least a couple of more points to complete the tale of 87.

First of all in March, Danny Thomas suffered what turned out to be a career-ending injury after a terrible and completely unnecessary foul by a QPR player (I was at that game, Danny was near the touchline far from goal, there was no need at all for the ferocious challenge launched at him).

This was a tragedy both for the player and the club, and in the short-term proved to be a key reason why we didn't win the FA Cup. The long season we had took its toll, and we ended up struggling for enough fit and able players come Final day.

Then after the season ended Hoddle and Gough left the club for pastures new, and to round it all off, Pleat resigned as manager 'under a cloud'.

So what promised to be an annus mirabilis that heady January day, had in some respects become an annus horribilis by the time December arrived. But there had been some fantastic football in between time, and some great results.

An overall record in 86-87 of 3rd in the Lge, FA Cup finalist, Lge Cup semi-finalists, and playing exhilarating football time and again, (plus Clive being double Footballer of the Year and scoring 49 goals) was one hell of an achievement in itself, if ultimately 'trophyless'.

Last edited:
....and of course what manager it was who ripped Glenn away from us to Monaco!!
....surely the Spursyest twist of all!!!

I sometime wonder what would have happened had we won everton at the lane at 85, or had a more decent game schedule at 82. We should have won the league at least once in that decade

4th April 1987 we beat Norwich 3-0. Clive Allen got a hat trick. That was my first ever game at WHL. I remember my dad explaining to one of the stewards that it was my first game and he asked him if I could go onto the pitch before the game and they let me quickly run on and off again. I would get a lifetime ban for that now

I was 14 when this happened, and I cried like a baby afterward.
7c14ef0f-d9fd-46de-aa96-bf45692f80a6-1020x680.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom