1991 Semi Vs the Scum

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SERIOUSLY? That's something you'd say about the CL Final, or the FA Cup Semi in '93...
But as for the '91 game, I watched nothing BUT re-runs of it for the entire Summer... ESPECIALLY as we won the thing!

That sounds like summit VERY dodgy and Cockney! :nawty::harryhmm:

Didn’t have a video of it. Only ever saw highlights. Guess I preferred just to have my memories of that game.

Journey there, atmosphere, journey home. Don’t think watching the whole game would be the same. Even now.

And was 16 at the time and didn’t own my own tv either I could just watch it on! So that may have had something to do with it as well.

Was so excited in the build up to this game. Queued overnight to get tickets from Spurs ticket office. I think it was the first Wembley Semi-final and I know loads didn’t get tickets. Even in those post Hillsborough days when football wasn’t as popular for a few years this match could probably have sold out twice over. I can remember the cocky gooners thinking they were gonna stuff us and for once it was Woolwich who didn’t turn up. From memory we played so well in the first half and were 2-0 up before big nose Smith scored just before half time and I was thinking here we go. But then Lineker squeezed a shot through spunky’s hands and the rest as they say is history.....

Was so excited in the build up to this game. Queued overnight to get tickets from Spurs ticket office. I think it was the first Wembley Semi-final and I know loads didn’t get tickets. Even in those post Hillsborough days when football wasn’t as popular for a few years this match could probably have sold out twice over. I can remember the cocky gooners thinking they were gonna stuff us and for once it was Woolwich who didn’t turn up. From memory we played so well in the first half and were 2-0 up before big nose Smith scored just before half time and I was thinking here we go. But then Lineker squeezed a shot through spunky’s hands and the rest as they say is history.....

Yep. :)

Didn’t have a video of it. Only ever saw highlights. Guess I preferred just to have my memories of that game.

Journey there, atmosphere, journey home. Don’t think watching the whole game would be the same. Even now.

And was 16 at the time and didn’t own my own tv either I could just watch it on! So that may have had something to do with it as well.
Must admit although I have the DVD of the game, and quite a few others, there's not many games I want to relive the whole 90 mins, prefer to see extended highlights.

Watched the first two goals.

At this point on the day I was just a mess of pure adrenaline. Ended up about 10 rows down and 10 seats across from where I started.

Turned it off as felt a bit happy today but that was about it. Glad to say I was there to see that free kick. Unreal day.

COYS!!

That was very enjoyable.

Forgot how good Samways and Paul Allen played.

Woolwich, long ball team that played the offside trap. Lee Dixon needed a shoeing.

Always liked Paul Allen and felt he was very underrated. He was a real workhorse and I was very disappointed when we let him go as I still think he had plenty to offer. Samways did play well but I didn’t really enjoy watching him much in general at Spurs- I felt his nickname Vinny “Sideways” was well earnt. I think when he went to Las Palmas all that sun must have affected him because I think he like many Brits abroad turned into a bit of an animal and he got sent off at least six times!
Great day out and what an atmosphere as today’s replay showed. FA Cup was magic in those days

Last edited:
Always liked Paul Allen and felt he was very underrated. He was a real workhorse and I was very disappointed when we let him go as I still think he had plenty to offer. Samways did play well but I didn’t really enjoy watching him much in general at Spurs- I felt his nickname Vinny “Sideways” was well earnt. I think when he went to Mallorca all that sun must have affected him because I think he like many Brits abroad turned into a bit of an animal and he got sent off at least six times!
Great day out and what an atmosphere as today’s replay showed. FA Cup was magic in those days
Agree very underated was Allen. Samways wasn't that bad compared to some of the shit we had from 93 onwards. Loved that 90/91 season the expectations before it started.
Did we sign anyone that summer after the world cup? Can't think of anyone.

Agree very underated was Allen. Samways wasn't that bad compared to some of the shit we had from 93 onwards. Loved that 90/91 season the expectations before it started.
Did we sign anyone that summer after the world cup? Can't think of anyone.

I think we bought Gordon Durie for a lot of money. He always seemed to do well against us for Chelscum but I remember being very underwhelmed by his achievements with us. Can’t remember anyone else though

It was all a bit tragic what happened with Venables. The guy really knew how to organize a team in a way to get the best out of players.

My mum used to say he was a dodgy wide boy but I prefer the term loveable rogue. I can remember after the away game against Millwall one season bumping into him outside the ground after the game (possibly the 5-0 win). Don’t know what he was doing walking outside the ground after the match but he was mobbed and seemed to love it. Anyway he had so many Spurs patting his head that his normally well groomed hair was sticking out all over the place! Those were the days.
I remember the excitement of his first game in charge at home v Liverpool and I think the gates were shut at 1.45pm with tens of thousands locked outside. Unfortunately I don’t think he saw eye to eye with Sugar who i never thought understood football- well not the game itself anyway

Back
Top Bottom