20/21 season expectations

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gatsby

95:02
Now the transfer window is closed (to a degree) and we have a settled squad, what are your expectations for this season?

We've added 6 players that instantly improve us, including bringing back Bale.

I think, in all honesty, we will win the League Cup, Europa and push for top 4. If we weren't to focus on the cups then I'd say we'd push for the title, we have the squad for it, but the most important thing is getting that first trophy in.

After understandable euphoria and maybe because of other results it would be easy to get carried away.

I think our squad now looks a lot more solid and obviously we also look like we can score goals quite freely, both counter-attacking and hopefully on the creative side when teams start to sit deep, which is going to happen. The arrival of Vinicius will also help us in that regard one hopes.

Our first two games after the international break will test us in different ways.

A better and clearer picture will emerge after 10 games but so far we are seeing the kind of individual stand out performances that teams who want to win things need.

Europa League and top four should be our aim.

Either of the domestic cups would still be a massive step forward too, so long as we also get top four.

As Harry said last night, it could be a very open league this year judging by the weekends results.

If Liverpool play like they did last season, nobody will catch them. But if everyone is dropping points I don't see any reason why we can't nick it ourselves.

I want the league, i know its going to be a lot harder with the Sunday Thursday aspect, but hopefully our B team will be able to play the group games, lets see where we are come christmas in the league but if anyone knows how to win it then its Jose and if we can get lucky with injuries then why not?

Have to finish top 4. Absolutely no.1 goal. And really, not just finish top 4 but push the top 2 come May.
Make it a statement finish, not bundle over the line.

Any cups that come with that, great. TBH, I suspect Mourinho will be plotting the league Cup given there is no Chelsea, Liverpool, Woolwich, City, Everton United all playing eachother. No one there we can't beat.

But as a club, we need something with a bit more of a profile. If we ended the season with the league Cup and finished outside the top 4 I'd think it was a failure.
If we finished inside the top 4 and won the league that would be a decent season. Top 4 and FA Cup better, probably the best is Top 4 and the Ropey league.

I think anyone having delusions of us winning multiple cups needs to sit down and have a break.
This squad are currently mostly all beaten already when it comes to big games. Mourinho has a lot of work to do to change that mindset

Seeing as people have started drinking early, I'm expecting the erradication of hunger and poverty, world peace and health and happiness for all humankind.

Failing that, a trophy would be nice

If Liverpool play like they did last season, nobody will catch them. But if everyone is dropping points I don't see any reason why we can't nick it ourselves.

Like so often is the case, Liverpool were winning games before the kick off last season. Pretty much everyone in the bottom half were petrified of them.
That Villa match sends out a huge message, not just to the teams around Liverpool, but to anyone, that if you go at them, they're fragile and will concede.
They reminded me of us against West Ham under AVB. The season before Bale was winning us games and teams sat back and were scared to come out. Once he went and the twattings started, teams like West Ham weren't scared anymore and we had no answer.

Same to some degree last season with Poch.

Before the season started I thought we'd finish around 6th and win the League Cup and Europa League. After the transfer window we've had, and the draws for the cups so far, I'm thinking top 4 and those two cups. If Man City continue to be inconsistant and Liverpool get a few long term injuries to their key players (which never happens), we could really go the distance.

I’d love us to win a cup. To think juande ramos was our manager last time we did is crazy. And all our american johnny come lately soccerball fans haven’t seen us win anything either

Still think our defence and the lack of a real DM in midfield will be our achilles heel

Having said that we will be a much better watch than last year and have a solid chance at making top 4 and maybe winning the league cup or FA Cup

Last edited:
Expectation: Top 4 and a cup (preferably EL).

What I think they are going for, in addition to a cup: the title.
Everybody says that Mou has a winning mentality. I think that in his mind he knows that we have a chance and we will fight for it. If then it won't happen, then so be it, but I think he's got that in mind too.

They play to win every game, and the players know that anything less than that would be an anomaly

I don't think we will drop many points from now on

Top three PL finish. Whatever about imperfection at CB, with players like Kane, Son, Bale, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Reguilon we shouldn't be finishing behind United/Woolwich.

Winning the FA cup or Europa league would be great and should be possible with the squad we have, but league position and being on the right trajectory toward winning it next year should be #1.

Difficult to say a trophy as any cup competition can be decided by a crap draw or a dodgy decision but i'd like to think we'll be in 2 or 3 until quarters/semis at least.. For the league i think top 4 as a minimum has to be the target.

I think, in all honesty, we will win the League Cup, Europa and push for top 4. If we weren't to focus on the cups then I'd say we'd push for the title, we have the squad for it, but the most important thing is getting that first trophy in.

Being realistic one or the other would be nice of EL or the League Cup. I would accept it if we got a really deep run in one or the other (as in, final or semi final) and lost but were clearly very unlucky to lose. However it's important to get that first trophy in, I agree - our entire season should be geared towards winning any trophy.

Back
Top Bottom