2021/22 Squad Numbers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably too late, number changes during a season are usually forbidden with only one case in recent memory but you'll know who and why that was.

However, he can use it in European games, I believe. I seem to remember Andy Cole having 9 for cup games but a different number in the league when he first signed for United, but that was more than 20 years ago...
Some countries have limits on what squad numbers that can be used in different competitions.

In France for example, the league allows a similar number system as the one in the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and so on. But for the domestic cups you are only allowed to use numbers 1-18 (or however big the matchday squad is). So it is not uncommon in France to see a player that uses number let's say 19 in the league use number 6 in the cups if that number is available.

Some countries have limits on what squad numbers that can be used in different competitions.

In France for example, the league allows a similar number system as the one in the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and so on. But for the domestic cups you are only allowed to use numbers 1-18 (or however big the matchday squad is). So it is not uncommon in France to see a player that uses number let's say 19 in the league use number 6 in the cups if that number is available.
What's the logic behind that?

The wikipedia page for the French cup doesn't give a specific reason. It just is.

"In Coupe de France matches, players are restricted to wearing the shirt numbers 1–20 regardless of the player's squad number. The starters are given the numbers 1–11."

I notice the OS have updated the 1st team profiles but for some reason have not added Winks to the on loan list. I wonder if Bissouma might get the number 8 or is it too late?
When do we have to submit the new squad list to the EPL and UCL?
By the rules of the game it should be too late. He's made appearances wearing number 38 already so he should be locked down.

Obviously Ronaldo got number 7
after Cavani made games last year, but he is one of the leagues special boys.
Probably too late, number changes during a season are usually forbidden with only one case in recent memory but you'll know who and why that was.

However, he can use it in European games, I believe. I seem to remember Andy Cole having 9 for cup games but a different number in the league when he first signed for United, but that was more than 20 years ago...

Not wishing to sound like an old fogey.... but dear God, does it matter??

1-11 for me, every day.... squad numbers are only designated to sell shirts, so why don't we all stop worrying about who has #78 or 1+7=8???

What was wrong with;
1 Aleksic
2 Hughton
3 Miller
4 Roberts
5 Villa
6 Perryman
7 Ardiles
8 Archibald
9 Galvin
10 Hoddle
11 Crooks

Showing my age somewhat, but you get the gist!

Back
Top Bottom