23 man England Euro Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have had this discussion with a few mates and not one of us have agreed on the full squad. Here's mine:

Pickford
Pope
Henderson

Walker
Trent

Shaw
Chilwell

Maguire
Stones
Mings

Henderson
Rice
Phillips
Bellingham

Grealish
Foden
Mount
Sancho
Saka

Kane
Sterling
Calvert Lewin
Rashford

I know 3 Cb's sounds a bit crazy and it was a choice of taking another Cb or Saka for me and I've gone with Saka whose versatility was what made me choose him (and the fact that the other cbs are shit).
Saka can play left or right wing and as a wing back should Southgate choose a back 3. We have Rice that can play CB if needs be, we have both Walker and Shaw who can also play as Cb's in a back 3 as well. I think that's enough cover.

Tough on Ward Prowse and Maddison who are both very good but that would be my squad.

We look a centre-back light. I'd take Ward-Prowse over Phillips all day long. With the likes of Sterling, Grealish, Sancho and Foden we're likely to get an absolute ton of set-pieces, and there are few better than Ward-Prowse. I haven't seen too much of him for Leeds but Phillips gives me a bit of an headless chicken impression. But other than that I like the look of your squad.

Oh, and at this moment in time I'd take James over Alexander-Arnold myself too. Possibly Trippier too.

Jhow6Om.jpg

Have had this discussion with a few mates and not one of us have agreed on the full squad. Here's mine:

Pickford
Pope
Henderson

Walker
Trent

Shaw
Chilwell

Maguire
Stones
Mings

Henderson
Rice
Phillips
Bellingham

Grealish
Foden
Mount
Sancho
Saka

Kane
Sterling
Calvert Lewin
Rashford

I know 3 Cb's sounds a bit crazy and it was a choice of taking another Cb or Saka for me and I've gone with Saka whose versatility was what made me choose him (and the fact that the other cbs are shit).
Saka can play left or right wing and as a wing back should Southgate choose a back 3. We have Rice that can play CB if needs be, we have both Walker and Shaw who can also play as Cb's in a back 3 as well. I think that's enough cover.

Tough on Ward Prowse and Maddison who are both very good but that would be my squad.
Good squad.

Very similar to mine which I just posted. I would have Greenwood over Sterling though, the latter is in horrific form. Also Reece James over Bellingham. I think this tournament comes a bit early for the youngster, while Reece James would be first choice RB imo.

Pickford
Pope
Johnstone

Lamptey
Aarons (possibly Cash or Ayling)

Justin (Targett if injured)
Cresswell

Mings
Coady
Tarkowski
Mee (maybe Keane)

Rice
Phillips
Bellingham
Grealish
Maddison
Sancho
Ward-Prowse
Barnes

Calvert-Lewin
Ings
Bamford
Watkins

Pickford
Pope
Johnstone

Lamptey
Aarons (possibly Cash or Ayling)

Justin (Targett if injured)
Cresswell

Mings
Coady
Tarkowski
Mee (maybe Keane)

Rice
Phillips
Bellingham
Grealish
Maddison
Sancho
Ward-Prowse
Barnes

Calvert-Lewin
Ings
Bamford
Watkins

I was gonna ask if you've been on the booze, but I think drugs would be more apt!

To start with, why would you take two as of yet uncapped right-backs?

I was gonna ask if you've been on the booze, but I think drugs would be more apt!

To start with, why would you take two as of yet uncapped right-backs?

Because it is with no Big 6 team player competing as is being threatened, and we can actually still put out decent squad.
Thought it was bloody obvious looking at the names, but went right over your head

Because it is with no Big 6 team player competing as is being threatened, and we can actually still put out decent squad.
Thought it was bloody obvious looking at the names, but went right over your head

Soz hard.

It was about 2 in the morning to be fair.

Edit: But yeah, it was generally my mistake and I'm not sure either how I didn't notice!

Last edited:
I think Foden could become one of the the best ever English players, with luck on the injury front. Despite his daft haircut. Technically he's fantastic but he's also versatile and has an end product. He doesn't just beat a player to look good and then do nothing with the final pass or shot.

He's got Gascoigne like talent but hopefully won't piss some of it up the wall with his lifestyle. Him along Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold, Mount and Sancho can play a huge part in us actually winning something down the line, though in Europe, France remain the team to beat. Their squad depth is unbelievable.

Last edited:
Pickford
Henderson
Pope

Walker
Trippier
Wan Bissaka

Maguire
Stones
Mings

Chilwell
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham

Sancho
Grealish
Mount
Foden
Lingard
Sterling
Saka

Kane
Calvert Lewin
Rashford

Thinking about it one of the strongest cohorts we have had in ages. We’ll be shit tho.

Mount and Foden in 5 years time is scary. Unbelievable players

Pickford
Henderson
Pope

Walker
Trippier
Wan Bissaka

Maguire
Stones
Mings

Chilwell
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham

Sancho
Grealish
Mount
Foden
Lingard
Sterling
Saka

Kane
Calvert Lewin
Rashford

Thinking about it one of the strongest cohorts we have had in ages. We’ll be shit tho.

Mount and Foden in 5 years time is scary. Unbelievable players

Love to see Foden, Grealish, Kane, Bellingham and Saka on the same pitch.

If the Euros started next week, my team would be:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Phillips
Bellingham
Mount

Foden

Rashford
Kane

Hopefully the likes of Rice and Grealish will be back in time to play a big part when it actually starts in June. Both would be in my best 11. Bellingham was outstanding in both games against City and despite being 17 has already shown he can play at the highest level. I wouldn't have any fear of chucking him in and starting him if required.

UEFA National teams committee recommends that squad sizes increased to 26 purely for this tourney.
Purely rubber stamping exercise now, so 26 it will be

Pickford, Henderson, Pope
Walker, James, Alexander-Arnold
Shaw, Chilwell
Stones, Maguire, Mings, Dier, Coady
Rice, Henderson, Phillips, Bellingham, Mount
Sterling, Rashford, Foden, Grealish, Sancho, Lingard
Kane, Calvin-Lewin

A few players who might feel unlucky to be left out, including Trippier, Wan-Bissaka, Saka, Ward-Prowse, Ings, Maddison, Greenwood .......

With 26 only areas of debate seem to be for me

Right back
How few CBs can we get away with cos they’re all ****
Who out of rice, Phillips, henderson stays home
Does lingard deserve a spot over one of mads, JWP or greenwood (as i wud only take one of those lads)

On defence I’m taking AWB as he can defend and we know Walker can if needed fill in at CB. Wouldn’t play them much but Justifies not taking coady or dier who are dross. Can also bring on AWB if we need to conserve a lead, and I’d start trippier cos he adds something creatively. Think dier is a big personality behind the scenes mind. I’d leave out TAA to make room.

I’m taking henderson for experience and rice cos he’s good. Phillips should be nowhere near this team and only is due to the media cult of bielsa and his disciples, he’s championship

And on the last point I’d take lingard over the rest

I don't see how anyone can rate Phillips particularly highly. He's decent, but that's it. Rice has far more ability and Henderson is a better player too, and obviously much more experienced. I think I'd rather take Dier over Phillips on the basis that at least Dier can also play at centre-back, average as he is.

Ward-Prowse needs to be considered for his set-piece ability alone. With players like Grealish, Foden and Sterling we'll no doubt win tons of free-kicks in promising positions and there isn't anyone around that's better from dead-ball situations, not just in the Premier League but Europe.

I don't see how anyone can rate Phillips particularly highly. He's decent, but that's it. Rice has far more ability and Henderson is a better player too, and obviously much more experienced. I think I'd rather take Dier over Phillips on the basis that at least Dier can also play at centre-back, average as he is.

Ward-Prowse needs to be considered for his set-piece ability alone. With players like Grealish, Foden and Sterling we'll no doubt win tons of free-kicks in promising positions and there isn't anyone around that's better from dead-ball situations, not just in the Premier League but Europe.
KDB....

Back
Top Bottom