30 years ago Today that we last won the FA Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I remember so many details from that day - the mini bus that had back doors that opened every time we went round a corner; having to use royal blue balloons because navy ones were impossible to find; having a party in the car park; two of our party watching the game on a portable black and white mini tv praying that the batteries would last; the despair when Gazza was stretchered off and Lineker missed the penalty and had a goal disallowed; the relief when we managed to get the game won; the celebrations down the High Road; enjoying a Ruby Murray at midnight; coming back to Tottenham after a few hours sleep to watch the victory parade; got right at the front at the Town Hall so had a fabulous view of the players showing off the Cup; losing my voice for a couple of days. What a great weekend that was, anyone who belittles that trophy because it doesn't generate as much money as qualifying for CL needs to think again, IMO.
Above it all Mrs P, I remember feeling connected to Gary Mabutt, to Howels Stevens, Allen, and Thomas. If Kane goes can he take Levy with him. I want to feel connected to MY CLUB again.

Downton Abbey GIF

Above it all Mrs P, I remember feeling connected to Gary Mabutt, to Howels Stevens, Allen, and Thomas. If Kane goes can he take Levy with him. I want to feel connected to MY CLUB again.
Most definitely. I have photos with all of the Cup winners, as back then, us mere mortals were allowed to actually get close enough to shake their hand. Every one remembers the look of sheer delight on Mabbsie's face when he held the trophy up, he was shaking with pride and joy. It brings me close to tears remembering that.

Yes our financial situation back then wasn't the best. Seem to remember some of our problems were down to Irving scholar buying a clothing company to make our merchandise that went bad. Did make some decent clobber back then compared to the nike tat on offer today. Even in the latter scholar and early sugar days we dared to do. Hope to get back there one day.

It was the Hummel deal that got us into the financial mess wasn't it.
I can't believe it was 30 years ago. How have we not managed to get to the final since then? I know we were a bit shit in the late 90's early 00's but still, on the law of averages we should have at least made one final surely.
I love the FA cup, was there for Ricky, Gazza (know that was the semi) and this one. Great days, great memories, all shared with my old man, that's what the games about. Don't tell me that the FA cup doesn't matter or is a minor trophy.

Back
Top Bottom