352/532 Formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They're more like the Hendersons, Wanyamas and Kantes of the world instead of Dembele, Thiago or KDB. That's why I said that these guys resemble Hojbjerg for us. He knows how to play with the ball, but it's not his biggest strength compared to someone like Ndombele. Pirlo was the only one that was brilliant on the ball, and even he was played as the deepest-lying playmaker in the midfield 3, with Vidal and Marchisio staying further forward. He has those 2 engines with Skipp and Hojbjerg, and the last role will be match dependant between GLC, Ndombele and Sissoko, with Ndombele being the clear favourite most of the time based on the fact that Conte REALLY wanted him at Inter.

I agree with all that although I don't see the resemblance to Hojbjerg but think you have more confidence in PEH's ability with the ball than I do. It was a major problem last season that he can't move the ball from the CB's to the more advanced MFers and it looks like it will still be a problem under Conte.

I think we will play PEH because but I don't see who is going to play the Brozovic/Pirlo role of dominating the ball and moving it from deep.

And if Skipp is going to start for us next year, yikes.

Edit:

I think Sissoko is gone. After his comments and with his zero ability there should be no place for him. Maybe I am basing this on hope more than reality but if Conte sees Sissoko as a useful piece and part of the squad I actually have zero interest in him coming in. That would ruin all the excitement I currently have for him and indicate that his time here will be a disaster.

Its a connection made with any manager going into any new job, but how often do managers really join a new team and take players from the old one with them?

I have it in mind its far less than seems to be thought.

That said, we do have a long standing interest in Skriniar, and Inter do need to sell...
Right, Conte left Inter because he didn't agree with selling his players, and one of those players has previously been a target of the club in our position of greatest need.

Now, there were rumors at the time that he'd fallen out with Conte, and who knows what Paratici thinks, but in general it would seem that anyone Inter is selling we would have some interest.

Hakimi would be a dream of course, not sure if he'd be willing to come to Spurs though.

Matteo Darmian on a free? :pochunimpressed:

I agree with all that although I don't see the resemblance to Hojbjerg but think you have more confidence in PEH's ability with the ball than I do. It was a major problem last season that he can't move the ball from the CB's to the more advanced MFers and it looks like it will still be a problem under Conte.

I think we will play PEH because but I don't see who is going to play the Brozovic/Pirlo role of dominating the ball and moving it from deep.

And if Skipp is going to start for us next year, yikes.

Edit:

I think Sissoko is gone. After his comments and with his zero ability there should be no place for him. Maybe I am basing this on hope more than reality but if Conte sees Sissoko as a useful piece and part of the squad I actually have zero interest in him coming in. That would ruin all the excitement I currently have for him and indicate that his time here will be a disaster.
Same goes for any new manager. Surely they will watch last seasons lowlights and quickly conclude that Sissoko is destined for a career nowhere near Spurs

I see somewhat of the opposite. Many teams that play 3 at the back seem to be able to get guys that struggle in a partnership to work better because of their specific skills and what they are asked to do.

I think you obviously want the right kind of mix of players but with Conte's experience I have little concern that he can't make it work.

I still feel the pain of watching past spurs teams fall apart in a slapstick affair with 3 back there.

You'd certainly think a man who has won may titles with that approach can do it with the right tools, hopefully he doesn't stand for Levy's bullshit signing on promises because surely no-one can be expected to do it with the dross we have back there now.

Oh I get the logic, I suppose I was thinking a bit more broadly - how often does that sort of thing really happen?

In this instance it might, given Inters situation - but I wouldnt be surprised at all if we just look elsewhere.

I think Carvalho went everywhere with Jose didn't he?

Recently James went to Everton largely because of Ancelotti but I am not sure if he followed him right after they were together at the same club the season before.

I don't think we are likely to have half of Inter Milan on our squad next season, but with their current situation, which you acknowledged, and the switch in systems I think it is reasonable to think that Conte might look to bring in one or two guys who can help make the switch easier and that we can get on a deal.

Also, why the concern re: Skipp starting? Surely a much bigger change of him doing well and improving, than the basic PEH

My concern is that he is 20 years old with one year of Championship experience and it seems like if he comes in he will be relied on to have a very important role.

I think it makes more sense to ease him in and give him a chance to show that he is ready for the jump right into the starting 11 of a team with top 4 ambitions. If he is ready then he can replace Hojbjerg or someone else if we bring them into the team in the summer. There will be plenty of games for him to play in.

The 3-5-2 would hurt classic #10's, classic fullbacks, and classic wingers.

It benefits tweener CB's, wingback types, and creative deeper-lying midfielders.

Only Aurier and arguably Reguilon really fit the former categories, perhaps Lamela and Lucas.

We're full of the latter categories. Ndombele, GLC and PEH make total sense as the midfield 3 in that system.
Don't forget Sess, Doherty, and Stevie B. We have like 720 games next seasonbecasue of the ECL. They will have opportunities.

3-4-3

Lloris
Tanganga Toby Rodon
Doherty Hojbjerg Lo Celso Regulion
Bergwijn Kane Son

3-5-2

Lloris
Tanganga Toby Rodon
Doherty Ndombele Hojbjerg Lo Celso Regulion
Kane Son

Actually 3-5-2 looks to me the best suited. Allows Doherty and Regulion to play in their natural positions, puts a 3 man strong midfield and lets Rodon and Tanganga use their mobility as CB’s.

The 3-5-2 would hurt classic #10's, classic fullbacks, and classic wingers.

It benefits tweener CB's, wingback types, and creative deeper-lying midfielders.

Only Aurier and arguably Reguilon really fit the former categories, perhaps Lamela and Lucas.

We're full of the latter categories. Ndombele, GLC and PEH make total sense as the midfield 3 in that system. Kane, Son, Dele, Bale, and Lucas would be lots of quality and depth up top. Squint and Reguilon, Sess, Doherty and maybe Bergwijn could give you a fullback rotation. Skipp can spell PEH.

We would need more options at those number 8 positions (Dele and Lamela would fail there, Winkssoko not good enough), and obviously the backline remains a big problem. Playing out of the back with Lloris and Hart is also scary.

But it makes a lot more pieces fit than the generic 4-2-3-1 does at this point.

Maybe I am putting too much credit to the video posted in the Conte thread about his 3-5-2 system at Inter but based on that PEH is not a good fit because in that video they explained that the deep lying midfielder (Brozovic) was instrumental in progressing the ball from the back 3 to the MF and PEH is terrible at that. Conte will live his motor but not sure what role he will play. I imagine he will be forced into that role but I don't think it is a good fit as well.

As for others I think most have covered it well. Kane and Son would make for a good pair upfront. I think if Kane goes then I would actually be fine with DCL coming in to replace him in this set up. I think that Ndombele and GLC could work as the 2 MFers with the deep lying especially if we get a better option than PEH in the deep lying role. If we stay with PEH we will still have similar problems we do now. Toby, Rodon, Tanganga and Davies all work as CB's in a back 3 but the last 3 should all be 2nd team not starters. Reguilon, Sessegon, Doherty with a starting RWB would be a solid group of WB's.

I think if they go to a 3-4-3 that would work better for PEH but we would need to bring in a MF to play next to him and it would be worse for Tanguy/GLC. I don't think it fits because it would really only be to make things better for PEH than the others on the team.

Think he's gone but Juan Foyth would have been perfect for this.

The problem with Foyth under this system is the same as it is under any system. He is not good enough to be a starter and is not better than Tanganga who offers the same skill set so how does he fit?

Maybe if we get two top level CB's maybe we could start one of them at RCB with those two and then have the other as the back-up but I just don't see the value of having both Foyth and Tanganga as they really seem to overlap each other.

The problem with Foyth under this system is the same as it is under any system. He is not good enough to be a starter and is not better than Tanganga who offers the same skill set so how does he fit?

Maybe if we get two top level CB's maybe we could start one of them at RCB with those two and then have the other as the back-up but I just don't see the value of having both Foyth and Tanganga as they really seem to overlap each other.

Foyth is so good on the ball, by far and away the best ball playing cb at the club. Chelsea under Conte utilized Luiz as a ball playing cb who could sometimes go into midfield.

A big problem with our current squad is that we don't have many options who can receive and redistribute the ball well. I recall our game against Chelsea earlier in the season where they dominated us and won 1-0. Despite playing an extra defender to us they had way more players on the pitch who could receive a pass, redistribute and play one touch, this is something I feel Foyth would give us.

I agree that Tanganga is a promising player and even less error prone that Foyth but I think that Foyth would give the squad something different.

Back
Top Bottom