352/532 Formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem with Foyth under this system is the same as it is under any system. He is not good enough to be a starter and is not better than Tanganga who offers the same skill set so how does he fit?

Maybe if we get two top level CB's maybe we could start one of them at RCB with those two and then have the other as the back-up but I just don't see the value of having both Foyth and Tanganga as they really seem to overlap each other.

Foyth is so good on the ball, by far and away the best ball playing cb at the club. Chelsea under Conte utilized Luiz as a ball playing cb who could sometimes go into midfield.

A big problem with our current squad is that we don't have many options who can receive and redistribute the ball well. I recall our game against Chelsea earlier in the season where they dominated us and won 1-0. Despite playing an extra defender to us they had way more players on the pitch who could receive a pass, redistribute and play one touch, this is something I feel Foyth would give us.

I agree that Tanganga is a promising player and even less error prone that Foyth but I think that Foyth would give the squad something different.

3-5-2

Lloris
Tanganga Toby Rodon
Doherty Ndombele Hojbjerg Lo Celso Regulion
Kane Son

Actually 3-5-2 looks to me the best suited. Allows Doherty and Regulion to play in their natural positions, puts a 3 man strong midfield and lets Rodon and Tanganga use their mobility as CB’s.
It would also help Son to stay forward.

He has spent a lot of time playing cover for Reguillon when the latter went forward and lost his form badly.

Conte needs yo get in his face and tell Son to stay up front and just keep shooting instead of passing back.

Foyth is so good on the ball, by far and away the best ball playing cb at the club. Chelsea under Conte utilized Luiz as a ball playing cb who could sometimes go into midfield.

A big problem with our current squad is that we don't have many options who can receive and redistribute the ball well. I recall our game against Chelsea earlier in the season where they dominated us and won 1-0. Despite playing an extra defender to us they had way more players on the pitch who could receive a pass, redistribute and play one touch, this is something I feel Foyth would give us.

I agree that Tanganga is a promising player and even less error prone that Foyth but I think that Foyth would give the squad something different.
Villareal will exercise their option to buy, Foyth is as good as gone, we should forget about him.

At Chelsea, did Conte not play a 5-2-3?

Hazard Costa Pedro as the front 3.
Kante plays a huge role. Matic was still great too. So that plenty of defensive cover from midfield to release the front three.

After Matic left in his second season ( he wanted to keep him), he had to play more midfielder since Bakayoko, Drinkwater and Barkley were barely even used, while Cesc Ratregas fell off the cliff.

Toby is better on the ball than Foyth and much less reckless, if we are playing 3-4-3 like at Chelsea Toby would be a much better player for that role. Maybe Foyth as a back-up but I think Villarreal are goi g to trigger his release clause anyways, which for me isn’t a big loss as I don’t see him close to being a top 4 player now or in the future.

I would use the money to buy a top quality CB.

Last edited:
Toby is better on the ball than Foyth and much less reckless, if we are playing 3-4-3 like at Chelsea Toby would be a much better player for that role. Maybe Foyth as a back-up but I think Villarreal are goi g to trigger his release clause anyways, which for me isn’t a big loss as I don’t see him close to being a top 4 player now or in the future.

I would use the mo way to buy a top quality CB.
Surely we'll be all over Skriniar if we land Conte.

Going on my earlier comments of PEH not being a good fit for the 3-5-2 and the deep lying midfielder being an important player in Contes system I wonder about going for Brozovic.

He is older than I like at 27 but clearly was very important to Conte, likely could be bought in the cheap as he is on decent wages and Inzaghi has already talked about “reviving” Sensi’s career so he could take over that role.

I know most will want to focus on Barella for the midfield but I do t think he is coming and I think there are other options, internally and in transfers to fill his role.

Id be fine with this

Am I supposed to image those 1 touch passes made between Dier, Doherty & Sissoko?
If we had Cruyff & Neeskens maybe we could play total football - but we don't.

Kante plays a huge role. Matic was still great too. So that plenty of defensive cover from midfield to release the front three.

After Matic left in his second season ( he wanted to keep him), he had to play more midfielder since Bakayoko, Drinkwater and Barkley were barely even used, while Cesc Ratregas fell off the cliff.
Agreed, I think we will play 352. Several times we were overrun in midfield when we had 2 up against 3 players so it makes sense. Kane and Son as a front 2 is very strong. 3 in the middle will hopefully make us harder to break down but it does mean we badly need another midfielder or 2. Reguilon, Sessegnon, Doherty and Aurier (although likely to leave) are all suited to playing as wingbacks, and I think Bergwijn could fit the bill as well. 3 at the back will help extend the shelf life of Toby and be good for Rodon and Tanganga; although we will need to sign a couple of new centrebacks. I think it says a lot about Jose’s reign that after 18 months he still didn’t have a set system but we already know Conte has one despite not even signing yet. We have a clear plan and it’s exciting.

I reckon 532/352 would be better. Having 532 at the back might ensure no goals conceded (as long as Snachez, Reguilon & Dier aren't there somewhere) , and 352 attackers might just allow us to score the odd goal.
VAR permitting, of course.

Back
Top Bottom