38 Years Ago Tonight...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

THIS HAPPENED:

"One Danny Thomas,
there's only ONE Danny Thomas!"

Thought it deserved its' own thread... Unless it's already had one, in which case, please merge!!

Thoughts, memories, photos in here!!!

Oh, what a day...
Oh WHAT A NIGHT!!!!

Last edited:
....and this is what happens when you go down an '80s Spurs related rabbit hole...

Next up; Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman

4mins 22secs.... Just after "Peanutss" man on the High Road....
Sorry Mrs.P!!!

Last edited:
Definitely one of the best nights of my life, crazy to think that was 38 years ago. Good grief, I was 27, in the prime of my life!
My sister and I had been to the first leg and I remember being gutted that Stevie getting booked would mean him missing the return.
We took our place right at the front of the Shelf and I honestly don't remember much of the details of the actual play, but feeling as if they had the better chances and possession. Having watched the game umpteen times since, I came to realise that wasn't the case, but that's what nerves does to you, and we were chasing the game for quite a time.
The noise was deafening when Ossie first hit the bar, then Robbo powered through to score, although at the time, it seemed ages between those two incidents.
My first experience of a penalty shoot (you know, that could have been me screaming 'get in you b****', think there were microphones hanging from the camera gentry, which was just above us).
I couldn't look at ours taking the penalties, but turned round to see Tony Parks making that crucial save. If it was noisy before, then the decibel count would have broken any records at that moment in time.
Watched Robbo pick up the Cup, and he then handed it to Stevie. I have to say Robbo was magnificent that night, he was a leader from start to end. Later we went outside on the High Road and the players were showing off the Cup from the window of the Red House, next to Warmington House. Can't remember much of the journey home, but think I got in around 1am. Then my phone rang, and it was a friend of mine, who wanted to know what happened, as his video tape had run out just as the penalties started! No 24 hour news channels/Internet in those days, so he would have had to wait until morning to find out.
I went to work next day, but had hardly any voice and was shattered all day.
It came to me that I am very lucky to have seen us win the UEFA Cup twice on our home turf, might happen again if The Stadium is designated for a European final.
Thanks for bringing this up 1882 1882 - not so much for the video, though!

Definitely one of the best nights of my life, crazy to think that was 38 years ago. Good grief, I was 27, in the prime of my life! The noise was deafening...
My first experience of a penalty shoot (you know, that could have been me screaming 'get in you b****', think there were microphones hanging from the camera gentry, which was just above us).
I couldn't look at ours taking the penalties, but turned round to see Tony Parks making that crucial save. If it was noisy before, then the decibel count would have broken any records at that moment in time.
Watched Robbo pick up the Cup, and he then handed it to Stevie. I have to say Robbo was magnificent that night, he was a leader from start to end. Later we went outside on the High Road and the players were showing off the Cup from the window of the Red House, next to Warmington House. Can't remember much of the journey home, but think I got in around 1am. Then my phone rang, and it was a friend of mine, who wanted to know what happened, as his video tape had run out just as the penalties started! No 24 hour news channels/Internet in those days, so he would have had to wait until morning to find out.
I went to work next day, but had hardly any voice and was shattered all day.
It came to me that I am very lucky to have seen us win the UEFA Cup twice on our home turf, might happen again if The Stadium is designated for a European final.
Thanks for bringing this up 1882 1882 - not so much for the video, though!
You're welcome!
I always wondered who that was screaming "Get in you bastard!" on Robbo's penalty....

Possibly one of life's mysteries finally resolved!!!!
It's up there with Loch Ness, and U.F.O's!!!

Wow 38 years ago!!!
Was a bit miffed as I ended up in the shelf (was a park lane boy in them days) and my proudest moment as a spurs fan was the heartfelt one Danny Thomas chant after his pen which spontaneous and universal - was bedlam after the pens- happy days

tottenham-hotspur-v-anderlecht-uefa-cup-f-1984-may-23rd--9283-p.jpg

tottenham.jpg

Sadly, this match was before my time (I was only 3 when it happened) but I've watched it many times on DVD and VHS and I would say it's the most intense match I've ever watched.

I met Graham Roberts and Mickey Hazard at a Spurs Store signing a few years ago and got them to sign my copy of the 84 Final match programme. I also asked Mickey to sign my copy of the Hadjuk Split semi-final programme as his goal in that match got us through to the final.

Hopefully, we'll create some more European memories next season.

1977-1984

What a rollercoaster.

Wouldn't change any of it.
I started going to games in 77 and from 79-84 I rarely missed a game but a job at st Bart’s with long hours and lots of weekends saw my attendance at games dwindle for several years so likewise 77-84 peak years as a spurs fan for me happy days

I guess we'd have been coming towards the end of extra-time just about now....

Parksey... Almost time to step up son!

Just found this....
10minutes of classic '80s build up, (not the game itself, so don't get excited!)
Jimmy Greaves, Keith Burkinshaw, Graham Roberts and Perryman feature...

Plus the "Midweek Sports Special" theme tune for those of a 'certain vintage'.....

Enjoy!

Now here IS a beaut.... If you've got an hour and a half!

The WHOLE Quarter Final 2nd Leg match against Austria Vienna.... IN DEUTSCH!!

I was 9 at the time and in hospital with pneumonia when this was on, but the nurses took pity on me, letting me stay up and sneak into the TV room to watch the whole game. Danny Thomas's brother was our next door neighbour so I remember being upset when he missed the penalty, which soon turned to jubilation after that Tony Parks save.

Looking back, being in a room full of smoking adults, while having pneumonia wasn't a great idea but I couldn't not watch the game.

I was 9 at the time and in hospital with pneumonia when this was on, but the nurses took pity on me, letting me stay up and sneak into the TV room to watch the whole game. Danny Thomas's brother was our next door neighbour so I remember being upset when he missed the penalty, which soon turned to jubilation after that Tony Parks save.

Looking back, being in a room full of smoking adults, while having pneumonia wasn't a great idea but I couldn't not watch the game.
Thank goodness you survived that x

Back
Top Bottom