95/96 Season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I went to all but one of our FA Cup games that season. Started in my home town of Hereford, drawing 1-1, then winning 5-1 at home in the replay. I missed the 4th round game at home to Wolves, where it'd snowed before the game, and there was a strip of white across the middle of the pitch where the under soil heating had packed in. We drew that game, but beat them at Molineux in the replay, which I got to.

Next up was Forest on a Monday night, live on Sky. We got into the ground and the game started with not a hint of snow around, then about 15 minutes in to the game we couldn't even see the goal immediately in front of us as the snow came down so heavy. Naturally the game was abandoned.

6598486.jpg
159916.jpg

I remember seeing loads of ticket stubs dropped on the floor, and wish I'd picked them up as they allowed anyone with one free access when they replayed it just over a week later. We then drew that game, and had a replay at home to them on the day of the 6th round, where we went out on pens. Sheringham scored a cracker of a free kick in front of the Paxton where I was sat.

This was a season I remember well and was reminded on it watching the short video about Newcastle and their fall since that year, but I also remember it for us being in the top 6 pretty much all season until the end, where we somehow managed to capitulate and finish 8th.

In fact, this was the situation after 23 games:

5ugyS4H

There we are in 4th, just one point behind the Dippers & Man Utd in 2nd & 3rd respectively and 4 points ahead of Woolwich, now I thought I remembered the season well, but what the hell happened, and was this the start of our "Spursy" reputation?

was this the start of our "Spursy" reputation?

No it's in our DNA stretching back to the 1960s:

1st Feb 1960:
11v11 league table generator

Final table 1960:

1st April 1963:

Final table:

5th March 1964:

Final table:

70s

20th March 1977:

Final table:

10th April 1978:

Final table:

80s

20th March 1985:

Final table:

:dierno:

Remember it well Jurgen had gone after one season and we replace him with Chris Armstrong

I remember the Grandstand before season started they had “Got my mind set on you” by George Harrison playing as they showed all the summer signings, they showed Armstrong sprinting and scoring for Palace, I was excited, he had a great first season with Ted but fell away after sadly, under better management could have been a player
He cost £4.5 million if I remember right as well.

Funny thing I remember about him though is him being on the video game TV show Gamesmaster in late 1996 playing in their football tournament, he got to the final but of course got tanked in it to Charlton's Richard Rufus of all people.

Remember it well Jurgen had gone after one season and we replace him with Chris Armstrong

I remember the Grandstand before season started they had “Got my mind set on you” by George Harrison playing as they showed all the summer signings, they showed Armstrong sprinting and scoring for Palace, I was excited, he had a great first season with Ted but fell away after sadly, under better management could have been a player

This was a season I remember well and was reminded on it watching the short video about Newcastle and their fall since that year, but I also remember it for us being in the top 6 pretty much all season until the end, where we somehow managed to capitulate and finish 8th.

5ugyS4H

There we are in 4th, just one point behind the Dippers & Man Utd in 2nd & 3rd respectively and 4 points ahead of Woolwich, now I thought I remembered the season well, but what the hell happened, and was this the start of our "Spursy" reputation?

End of season form done for us. it was one win in the last 5 with 4 draws. Turn two draws into a win and we would have been 4th by two points. It might also have been the case that if we beat the goons rather than draw towards the back end of the season then 1 win extra would have been the difference. Between us and 4th.

We were “ok” that season overall. But never really had enough squad depth. Well that’s what I recall. Francis was not my cup of tea however.

Our Cup form was different. We won cups regularily apart from 1987 and if we got to the final won it. That has not been the case in recent years where we lose important semi finals and finals. Having lived through the years quoted I never had a sense of feeling that we blew it like I do now when we lose big Semi finals( I think it is 8 in a row now) we have not been leading in League and therefore not blown that.

5ugyS4H

We were in a bit of an artificial position - we still had to play Blackburn, United, Scum, Chelsea, Newcastle, Forest, Leeds.

5ugyS4H

Weird double post below - i’d Said this earlier.

End of season form done for us. I think it was one win in the last 5 with 4 draws. Turn two draws into a win and we would have been 4th.

Back
Top Bottom