A few questions

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why can’t we trap a ball?
Always spins off us and every other team we play are concise in their ball control and passing.

Which brings me to my next question/
Why can’t we pass? Did you see Leeds? Everton? Watch any game and teams can pass to each other.

Is our “tactic” counter attack football?
Because we aren’t very good at that.....still 17 nothing passes to get to the edge of the box while the oppo are bish bash bosh, get a shot off.

Why is our team so slow?
When will this hell end?

Always spins off us and every other team we play are concise in their ball control and passing.

Why can’t we pass? Did you see Leeds? Everton? Watch any game and teams can pass to each other.

Because we aren’t very good at that.....still 17 nothing passes to get to the edge of the box while the oppo are bish bash bosh, get a shot off.

Why is our team so slow?
When will this hell end?
Come on Sammy, head up mate. This hell will end at the end of this season if Levy's plan of bringing in a trophy winning manager doesn't bear fruit.
The team will dismantle, Jose will resign or get sacked and Daniel will be no more. Trust me, I'm a doctor.😎

The reason we can’t trap a ball or pass is we have chosen to preference other characteristics like speed or power, it only takes a couple players to make it seem like it is all out players, Son, Moura, Alli etc. I know what you mean though, I remember watching us vs Dortmund one time and they could all seem to do a simple pass and control On another level to us even though we had the more expensive squad at the time.
We can counter attack and we are actually very good at it, in the first half it almost worked a few times.

One of the first things Sissoko did when he came on was kick a throw in we won in their half straight out of play instead of passing it back to his man

5 yard throw to his feet. A man who cost us £30million. And it’s not viewed as an anomaly- it is just the type of thing he does.

Meanwhile they have Ham-es on their right side of midfield looking like a footballer.

Says it all really.

One of the first things Sissoko did when he came on was kick a throw in we won in their half straight out of play instead of passing it back to his man

5 yard throw to his feet. A man who cost us £30million. And it’s not viewed as an anomaly- it is just the type of thing he does.

Meanwhile they have Ham-es on their right side of midfield looking like a footballer.

Says it all really.
Rodriguez destroyed our shit-cunt midfield

And we could have signed him out of course. Instead we got a Saints reject and people expect us to play like Barca 2011

Why is our team so slow?
When will this hell end?
These are all questions our management team should answer

Why is our team so slow?
When will this hell end?

We didn't look well prepared for the season, our players looked shocked that it wasn't still pre season and that the opposition might actually try.

We need to make more use of set pieces, we are still getting loads of corners and scoring from them occasionally would completely change games.

The thing about Mourinho's football is its always shite, which makes the results even more polarising.....there's nothing else to take positives from other than nicking a win

Last edited:
None of the players yesterday could trap a ball or pass.

Now. We know from experience that half of them cannot carry out these simple tasks adequately: Sissoko, Lucas, Dier, PEH, Son (much of the time but he has other highly valued qualities). This is the fault of the person/people that bought them. You don’t coach these skills at their level/age - it should be a given and if it’s not, then that’s why you have scouts?

The other half do have these skills but failed to use them properly yesterday. Winks, Toby, Dele, Davies, Belly. Why did these attributes disappear from their game yesterday? Preparation? Tactics? Personal application?

On two players in particular who seem to embody all that is wrong with THFC:

Sissoko - the poor sod has been lambasted on here over and over again. Even his supporters support in an ironic kind of way. I’m sure he is a lovely fella and all that BUT his purchase and the subsequent importance placed in him by management is a fucking joke that sent a message out to the squad and to opponents. All this ‘Tottenham Way’ stuff is fans indulge in is Rose-tinted bollocks. We paid £30m for a body builder.

Dele - once blessed with real talent and promise he has been allowed to think and act as if he has made it - won trophies left right and centre, accomplished things at international level, personal awards etc. A combination of the club and the people around him have allowed this to happen. Again, like Sissoko but for very different reasons, what message does this send to teammates and opponents alike?

I'll say it again. For 15 mil a year. State art training ground wheres the coaching in a year. It looks thrown together. We play out from back then smash it. Front 4 have little to no movement. If harry redknapp took over tomorrow in hypothetical terms this would be the team Thursday.
Hugo
Doherty toby tanganga sess/davies
Hojberg lo celso
Ndombele
Bergwin kane son

It must be a problem with concentration or fear or even over thinking things.

I refuse to believe that you can get to Premier League levels without being able to trap and pass a football - it's just not possible.

I think the problem is thinking speed - when you know exactly where your team mates are going to be, you get a kind of 6th sense, you're already thinking about the pass as the ball is coming onto you and you know where you want to play it before it even gets to you.

If you haven't got a clue if your team mates are going to be left, right, front back or even near you, you lose the ability to know what you're going to do with the ball before it actually gets to you - by the time you've made a decision there's already an opposition player on top of you and you end up rushing the pass and it becomes more of a riskier pass. This is what we're seeing - a group of players that don't seem to be able to predict what their team mates are going to do.

For the life of me, I still have not got a clue how we still look completely clueless when we get a throw in - watch the next game and you'll see that a lot of the time the team has no idea what they're going to do at a throw in, even so much as throwing their hands up in confusion.

We didn't look well prepared for the season, our players looked shocked that it wasn't still pre season and that the opposition might actually try.

We need to make more use of set pieces, we are still getting loads of corners and scoring from them occasionally would completely change games.

The thing about Mourinho's football is its always shite, which makes the results even more polarising.....there's nothing else to take positives from other than nicking a win

That’s been the case since the days of Redknapp 11 years ago. Evidently it is not something worked on by a succession of managers

I must ask....what is the fucking point in a billion pound new super stadium (which it is) but not spending money on creating a team worthy of playing in the fucking thing.

Fuck you Daniel you lizard faced, pound shop voldemort looking cunt.

It must be a problem with concentration or fear or even over thinking things.

I refuse to believe that you can get to Premier League levels without being able to trap and pass a

I think the problem is thinking speed - when you know exactly where your team mates are going to be, you get a kind of 6th sense, you're already thinking about the pass as the ball is coming onto you and you know where you want to play it before it even gets to you.

If you haven't got a clue if your team mates are going to be left, right, front back or even near you, you lose the ability to know what you're going to do with the ball before it actually gets to you - by the time you've made a decision there's already an opposition player on top of you and you end up rushing the pass and it becomes more of a riskier pass. This is what we're seeing - a group of players that don't seem to be able to predict what their team mates are going to do.

For the life of me, I still have not got a clue how we still look completely clueless when we get a throw in - watch the next game and you'll see that a lot of the time the team has no idea what they're going to do at a throw in, even so much as throwing their hands up in confusion.

You make good and valid points. However, we have bought players that cannot do the basics - Sissoko and you some extent Lucas for e.g. Others have all the attributes, albeit raw such as Sanchez.

You will will never improve the likes of Sissoko. But Sanchez needs to be coached and palpably hasn’t been.

One is a question of acquisition and the other is management and coaching. THFC have failed in both aspects

Correct. If we continue to play to this level we are going to have much, much worse days than yesterday.
Perhaps we’ve reached our level and the quicker some of our fanbase accept that and lose the idea of grandeur that quite a few think we have or should have the better.

Back
Top Bottom