A few questions

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rodriguez destroyed our shit-cunt midfield

And we could have signed him out of course. Instead we got a Saints reject and people expect us to play like Barca 2011

I can’t deny Allen, Rodriquez are just class in what they do, Everton have a seriously good midfield. The shame is in Kane, Bergwijn and Son we have potentially an outstanding attack but no midfield (Lo Celso aside) able to support them properly.

So our level is playing shite and losing to a bang average, mid table Everton team is it?

Nice one, cunto. Off to wet spam you fuck.
Annnnd here we go.......
CDF3-D822-694-D-46-D4-BB2-F-F38-F132-DB628.gif

I really feel like we could do with the old thundercunt Mourinho rather than the Mr Nice Guy, Jose's brother Mourinho that the Amazon doc makes it seem like we have.

At what point does he lose his shit with the players for clearly paying fuck all attention to the words coming out of his mouth? How long will he persist with Sissoko buffooning around midfield just because he's a top bloke and popular in the dressing room?

I'm sick of hearing all the right noises from our players and then seeing them on the pitch sauntering round cluelessly, whatever you think about Mourinho's style and tactics, I'm fucking certain he isn't telling them to make no effort, pass like shit and not threaten the opposition goal.

Watching the doc I can't help but feel all the fancy facilities have made the players TOO pampered, sat there in a dressing room that probably cost more than most of our houses. What are they striving for? Many not good enough for a step up to the next perceived level of club, they know that this is as good as it gets for them so might as well just get comfy.

Righ now I'd be happier signing players that see us as a stepping stone, at least they will be busting a gut to perform and earn that next move. Better than someone who sees us as their peak and is happy to just plod on with no ambition.

Why can’t we trap a ball?
Always spins off us and every other team we play are concise in their ball control and passing.

Which brings me to my next question/
Why can’t we pass? Did you see Leeds? Everton? Watch any game and teams can pass to each other.

Is our “tactic” counter attack football?
Because we aren’t very good at that.....still 17 nothing passes to get to the edge of the box while the oppo are bish bash bosh, get a shot off.

Why is our team so slow?
When will this hell end?

100% mate.

It's like we can do nothing well which for me always talks of an unhappy bunch because it is so much more than just lacking confidence.

It needs a very quick solution.

Why can’t we trap a ball?
Always spins off us and every other team we play are concise in their ball control and passing.

Which brings me to my next question/
Why can’t we pass? Did you see Leeds? Everton? Watch any game and teams can pass to each other.

Is our “tactic” counter attack football?
Because we aren’t very good at that.....still 17 nothing passes to get to the edge of the box while the oppo are bish bash bosh, get a shot off.

Why is our team so slow?
When will this hell end?

It Jose's brand of football, keep it tight at the back and hit on the break, we dont have the midfield ATM though to move the ball quickly on the counter, he wont change his style.

We are going to win fuck all because ultimately and despite bringing in a manager with a winning mentality, our players just don't have the mentality to succeed.
And the doubt and frustration has spread, so every time we face any kind of adversity like shipping a goal or feeling an injustice was done to us like a free kick being taken 5 yards further up, we shrivel up and die on the pitch.
It's clear we have talent in the side enough to win some kind of cup, but I'm not sure that the winning mentality is something that can be taught.
He clearly brought Hoijberg and Doherty in to instill some leadership qualities, but if the whole team just wilts like spinach in a Sag Aloo it doesn't really matter.

When the confidence is high and we are a couple of goals up we look like Brazil, the football is free flowing and the smiles are on the faces, but when the heat is on this unit melts into a puddle.

I'm starting to think we need to sell Harry, try and keep Sonny and re-invest the funds wisely like our future depends on it, as its getting to the crunch time.

Our squad value is depreciating rapidly, players like Dele who at peak were estimated around 80m, well you would be lucky to get even half of that right now.

I stick by what I said last night, I think Jose will be gone inside 10 games. I don't think he can shape this lot into his image, and perhaps the fear factor surrounding him and opposition is gone now, his best days clearly in the rear view mirror.

I get that this is negative as fuck, and some of you will be thinking "calm down you melt it's one fucking game"

But I saw all the signs of last season today, we gave up with ZERO fight.

Don't see a way forward for this team or manager.

The answer is coaching and team selection. We have enough players in the squad that can do the basics and do them well, but we don’t select them and we don’t coach them to be a cohesive unit.

Our back 4 as a collective are mid table - lower top 7 standard. They aren’t good enough to be top 4 but they are serviceable, our midfield has the potential to be top 4 if we select the right players and coach them to understand each other correctly. Our attack has the potential to be top 2 if we select the right players and coach them to be cohesive.

Weighing that all up I believe we should be a top 4 team if we had a half decent manager that was intent on playing cohesive attacking football that doesn’t leave us exposed at the back.

Utd have a similar level squad to us, potentially great midfield going forward but lacking a proper busy DM which is what we would have if we gave Lo Celso & Ndombele a solid run of games together. They have A great front 3 (ours would be better due to Kane and son), and they are shakey at the back (although their defence is slightly better).

The squads are comparable but the difference is they have a manager committed to playing decent football, and he selects players based off ability not favouritism or “being a cunt”. We laugh at the PE teacher but it is clear from their games against the lesser teams after lock down that they have been working on patterns of play, and he plays Bruno& pogba together with his best runners ahead of them.

It’s not fucking rocket science, Ole will fail in the end but they will be ahead of us when he fails because he atleast does the fucking basics. Something our current manager does not.

Perhaps we’ve reached our level and the quicker some of our fanbase accept that and lose the idea of grandeur that quite a few think we have or should have the better.

Everton at home has been 3 points for almost the whole Prem era. Grandeur? What the fuck are you talking about.

Comes down to how the players are coached and how theyre being set up in my opinion.

Theres no passages of play. No exciting one touch stuff. Because that's risky.

We are being negatively risk free in the hope that we can keep it tight, nick a goal and either then aim to beat a team on the counter or keep a clean sheet.

Just look at City at home. They absolutely battered us and really should have won and they even missed a penalty. There were no real exciting plays from Spurs, no excitement in our play, but we kept it at 0-0 for long enough that when City got down to 10 men and we went 1-0 up, we only then had one aim.

Its a shame really.

Because we have good players. But they are players that aren't suited to a system that's now been bestowed upon them. They genuinely need to get back to basics, the same way Redknapp came in and just told the players to play some fucking football.

But...

We knew all this coming in. We called it. Mourinho hasn't played good football in years. He was never going to transform a team that wasn't playing good football before into a team playing good football. He isn't that kind of manager.

We were told he was a serial winner and that he'd win stuff here so ultimately that's how he should be judged. He needed two fucking replays in the FA Cup before getting knocked out by the worst team in the Premier League and then got hammered at the first hurdle of the knockouts by Leipzig.

Let's see what he can do this year. Its not going to be pretty, but hey, we expected it.

We are going to win fuck all because ultimately and despite bringing in a manager with a winning mentality, our players just don't have the mentality to succeed.
And the doubt and frustration has spread, so every time we face any kind of adversity like shipping a goal or feeling an injustice was done to us like a free kick being taken 5 yards further up, we shrivel up and die on the pitch.
It's clear we have talent in the side enough to win some kind of cup, but I'm not sure that the winning mentality is something that can be taught.
He clearly brought Hoijberg and Doherty in to instill some leadership qualities, but if the whole team just wilts like spinach in a Sag Aloo it doesn't really matter.

When the confidence is high and we are a couple of goals up we look like Brazil, the football is free flowing and the smiles are on the faces, but when the heat is on this unit melts into a puddle.

I'm starting to think we need to sell Harry, try and keep Sonny and re-invest the funds wisely like our future depends on it, as its getting to the crunch time.

Our squad value is depreciating rapidly, players like Dele who at peak were estimated around 80m, well you would be lucky to get even half of that right now.

I stick by what I said last night, I think Jose will be gone inside 10 games. I don't think he can shape this lot into his image, and perhaps the fear factor surrounding him and opposition is gone now, his best days clearly in the rear view mirror.

I get that this is negative as fuck, and some of you will be thinking "calm down you melt it's one fucking game"

Spot on. Tired of people responding with ‘shut up you melt, it’s only one game’. Writing has been on the wall for two years.

Amateurs running a multi million pound business. The documentary - edited as it is - reflects the general hit and hope philosophy of those in charge.

Comes down to how the players are coached and how theyre being set up in my opinion.

Theres no passages of play. No exciting one touch stuff. Because that's risky.

We are being negatively risk free in the hope that we can keep it tight, nick a goal and either then aim to beat a team on the counter or keep a clean sheet.

Just look at City at home. They absolutely battered us and really should have won and they even missed a penalty. There were no real exciting plays from Spurs, no excitement in our play, but we kept it at 0-0 for long enough that when City got down to 10 men and we went 1-0 up, we only then had one aim.

Its a shame really.

Because we have good players. But they are players that aren't suited to a system that's now been bestowed upon them. They genuinely need to get back to basics, the same way Redknapp came in and just told the players to play some fucking football.

But...

We knew all this coming in. We called it. Mourinho hasn't played good football in years. He was never going to transform a team that wasn't playing good football before into a team playing good football. He isn't that kind of manager.

We were told he was a serial winner and that he'd win stuff here so ultimately that's how he should be judged. He needed two fucking replays in the FA Cup before getting knocked out by the worst team in the Premier League and then got hammered at the first hurdle of the knockouts by Leipzig.

Let's see what he can do this year. Its not going to be pretty, but hey, we expected it.

The margin for error with Mourinho's tactics is so small - if Kane gets his studs to that Son cross first half we get to play the rest of the game on the counter and probably win 2-0.......

issue is that if the opposition score first we are absolutely fucked

I agree. Yesterday's performance reminded me of Chelsea away onward last season. 5 games: 4 defeats and 1 draw that was halted mercifully by lockdown. I believe if the season had continued then we would be no where near 6th place.

Kane and Son were out then but they were playing yesterday and we were abysmal in that second half.

We lack creativity and ability to keep the ball. The long balls over the top were tedious, predictable and the one (and only) very good chance created by Doherty/Kane looked straight out of Wolverhampton. The other chances were counter attacks.

I hoped, rather than believed, Mourinho would be a winner for us. The football is turgid and I truly believe this is going to be catastrophic and his last job in England, but I hope I'm wrong.

B.B.P

The margin for error with Mourinho's tactics is so small - if Kane gets his studs to that Son cross first half we get to play the rest of the game on the counter and probably win 2-0.......

Yep.

We are playing for a cleansheet. Not a win. That mentality needs to change.

Ancelotti doesn’t do much coaching these days, but he has a beautiful eye for putting together a balanced team. Get a guy who tackles and recycles the ball, Allan. Get a guy who runs box to box all day, Doucoure. Get a guy who sees a picture in his head and has the touch to buy time, James. Instantly they looked like the sort of balanced midfield that we haven’t seen since 2017.

That is quite a serious issue wouldn't you say? Such a major regression from recent seasons and in such a short time.

It doesn't help that Woolwich look like tearing it up and Arteta has won more trophies in 6 months than we have in over 2 decades.

Utd have a similar level squad to us, potentially great midfield going forward but lacking a proper busy DM which is what we would have if we gave Lo Celso & Ndombele a solid run of games together. They have A great front 3 (ours would be better due to Kane and son), and they are shakey at the back (although their defence is slightly better).

Not even close imo. We'd be lucky if even two made it into their squad.

I don't know the answer to the problems, but I can see that we have no balance to our team and no creativity. Our purchases haven't been the best, in so much that they don't appear to be what we actually need. I'm hoping that they will bed in and we see what Jose is trying to achieve, but the hope is dwindling with each game. With regards to Sissoko, I thought he got unnecessary criticism when he did play well, but I think he has been pretty poor this year, as mentioned, he can't even do the basics.

Back
Top Bottom