/

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we win the Europa league + League Cup (and finish 7th or lower in PL)...

• Sack Jose!

• Keep Jose, and buy him some better defenders!

Results are only viewable after voting.
As bad as winksoko are, they started a CL final for us under Poch.
Meaning what? They are bad is they are bad. What does it matter if they won the Nobel prize for Physics?

Some people repeatedly claim that our squad is so good that we would easily make top 4, and now that it is questioned, it's one digression after another.

I find it disingenous and simply irritating, how many of you seem to have different measures that you apply to similar scenarios only in a bid to push whatever agenda you desire. But that pales to the fact that you think your silly bias thought process is even worth publishing.

I really have no fucking idea how this post supports any of your previous posts. You’re literally agreeing with me about Klopp. I’ve always stated our squad is not the best in the league but it’s definitely not the 8th best.

So managers should not be held responsible for winning?

Your first and last paragraphs are the definition of hypocritical.

What are you even getting at?
If you still don't get it, lets me try to explain again.

Wins and losses is not just about the manager. Liverpool have a squad and manager that should be competing for the title but they are currently 6th and should be taken in context. Similarly, our current position is 8th and should also be taken in context. It's not always about the manager being good or bad and not getting the best out of the squad.

Similarly, winning doesn't automatically mean the manager is great e.g. Leicester won the league with a lesser squad but that doesn't mean Ranieri suddenly became the best manager in the world

Painting football in black and white of manager is bad when things are bad is a very simplistic view of the game

I agree about how you judge our squad. If Jose had us 4th-6th, he’d be meeting expectations. Lots of clubs are struggling and we are still below that.

However, the manager is getting paid 15 mil/year and has the self-proclaimed best coaching staff in the world. He should be exceeding expectations by his own standards.

This is only taking performance into account, not the eye cancer that Jose calls football.

In addition, I agree our squad needs work. But we are not a bottomless pit of money and will never be able to consistently have a top 3 squad. We need a manager that develops players.

Excellent post by the way. Was actually an attempt at discussion.
Cheers!

First thing I would say is it doesn’t really matter how much he is getting paid. Lot of cash doesn’t always equal top performance. In any sport, or sector of business, this is true. You’d hope it would be, but then Sissoko would be 6 times as good as Dele, judging on their transfer fees.

I would also say that he is getting paid that because of how experienced he is and how much of a proven winner he is. First thing people on “the other side” generally bat back is “doesn’t matter how good he was for other teams, just matters how good he is now”. Fair enough then. But don’t be going on about getting Naglesmann in because how well he’s doing at RB. Doesn’t matter does it? Don’t be demanding we sign such and such a player because of how well he is playing for his present team. Again, shouldn’t matter.

There are squad issues and tactical issues. There’s no way we should’ve signed Doherty to play RB and I don’t think we did. I don’t think anyone realised what a clusterfuck our central defence was and was therefore impossible to support wingbacks rather than fullbacks. I didn’t know how bad it was, but Jose certainly should have. As it is, I can see one or two CBs coming in the window and Doherty finding his feet at WB next season, but this season, ain’t happening. Just one example of where the tactics haven’t worked. The main tactic being to protect the defence, but that appears to have been fucked off now, as there’s no protecting this defence. It’s going to ship goals anyway, so we are now at “attack like fuck and hope”.

Finally, and this one will sound like an excuse, but I’d posit it’s a reason instead for our form this season. And it’s time to give the pandemic a mention. Yes, every club has to put up with the lockdown last season, the lack of pre season this time round and the difficulty of fitting in as many matches as we are in such a short season. But nobody more than us. We’ve played more matches than anyone this season. When do we train? Every manager is complaining about this, but it’s being ignored on here. We play one day, rest the next, bit of light training the next, play the next. Repeat. How can we improve? How can any team improve? I don’t think anyone is. I think there’s a few teams gone on some lucky runs this season (yes, I’m looking at you West Ham), but everyone is finding it tough. Look at the state of the Champions recently.

Yes, it’s been a tough season at times but it’s not a normal season for so many reasons. I just want us to give Jose time to prove me right and you fuckers all wrong. 😂

Never said I was a Spurs fan - I like spurs, but not a fan, cos I am simply not at that level of dedication to professional sports.

Also never said I was a fan of Mourinho - that was entirely made up by people like you, but then you guys make up a lot of stuff, so its not surprising.
Dedicated enough to post on a forum almost everyday.... not dedicated enough to consider yourself a spurs fan.

Just tried to give us a lecture on logic.

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Last edited:
Cheers!

First thing I would say is it doesn’t really matter how much he is getting paid. Lot of cash doesn’t always equal top performance. In any sport, or sector of business, this is true. You’d hope it would be, but then Sissoko would be 6 times as good as Dele, judging on their transfer fees.

I would also say that he is getting paid that because of how experienced he is and how much of a proven winner he is. First thing people on “the other side” generally bat back is “doesn’t matter how good he was for other teams, just matters how good he is now”. Fair enough then. But don’t be going on about getting Naglesmann in because how well he’s doing at RB. Doesn’t matter does it? Don’t be demanding we sign such and such a player because of how well he is playing for his present team. Again, shouldn’t matter.

There are squad issues and tactical issues. There’s no way we should’ve signed Doherty to play RB and I don’t think we did. I don’t think anyone realised what a clusterfuck our central defence was and was therefore impossible to support wingbacks rather than fullbacks. I didn’t know how bad it was, but Jose certainly should have. As it is, I can see one or two CBs coming in the window and Doherty finding his feet at WB next season, but this season, ain’t happening. Just one example of where the tactics haven’t worked. The main tactic being to protect the defence, but that appears to have been fucked off now, as there’s no protecting this defence. It’s going to ship goals anyway, so we are now at “attack like fuck and hope”.

Finally, and this one will sound like an excuse, but I’d posit it’s a reason instead for our form this season. And it’s time to give the pandemic a mention. Yes, every club has to put up with the lockdown last season, the lack of pre season this time round and the difficulty of fitting in as many matches as we are in such a short season. But nobody more than us. We’ve played more matches than anyone this season. When do we train? Every manager is complaining about this, but it’s being ignored on here. We play one day, rest the next, bit of light training the next, play the next. Repeat. How can we improve? How can any team improve? I don’t think anyone is. I think there’s a few teams gone on some lucky runs this season (yes, I’m looking at you West Ham), but everyone is finding it tough. Look at the state of the Champions recently.

Yes, it’s been a tough season at times but it’s not a normal season for so many reasons. I just want us to give Jose time to prove me right and you fuckers all wrong. 😂
👍 👍 👍

Dedicated enough to post on a forum almost everyday.... not dedicated enough to consider yourself a spurs fan.

Just tried to give us a lecture on logic.

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF
I like football a lot, and like some clubs (including spurs). Simply posting about football doesn't make someone a fan of a club imo.

People I regard as fans are more committed to their clubs than I ever will be. I know many that spend a significant part of their income on club stuff and those that are so emotionally invested that they cry when the team loses.

I am simply not that devoted. Just enjoy discussing and bantering about the beautiful game.

Last edited:
Meaning what? They are bad is they are bad. What does it matter if they won the Nobel prize for Physics?

Some people repeatedly claim that our squad is so good that we would easily make top 4, and now that it is questioned, it's one digression after another.
The attacking part of our squad is clearly more than good enough, the defence is clearly not.

So with great attacking players and a crap defence do you think

A] We should try and score several goals a game to counteract our defensive weakness
or
B]. Set up to win 1 nil on the break

i am firmly in the A camp against all except Man City

The attacking part of our squad is clearly more than good enough, the defence is clearly not.

So with great attacking players and a crap defence do you think

A] We should try and score several goals a game to counteract our defensive weakness
or
B]. Set up to win 1 nil on the break

i am firmly in the A camp against all except Man City
Unfortunately this is not the NFL where the attack is practically decoupled from the defence.

In the modern game, the entire team is coupled and a weakness in one area easily ripples through the entire team. As example is Liverpool's current situation, where they are having problems with their defence but are struggling to score more than concede. They are not ending up in high scoring shoot outs like your premise would suggest. Even City, when they had their defesnive issues, were not simply losing high scoring shoot outs.

The notion of scoring several goals assumes you have the possession often enough to create those opportunities. If you are weak defensively, it is more likely that your team would be unable to recover the ball and instead be put under sustained pressure, minimizing the opportunities to attack.

Playing an open vs closed game game is a different topic.

Back
Top Bottom