Against Modern Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
This article originally appeared on the excellent An Evening with Lustdoctor. Click through and read more. It’s the balls. A trip to White Hart Lane is fast becoming a toxic experience. You’ll find more atmosphere in a Virgin Train’s quiet zone or during nap time at the local nursery. The only time fans raise from their slumber is the now traditional half-time boo or end of match catcall. A sense of entitlement is palpable in the air. There are plenty [...]

Continue reading...

cant be arsed to read it all, cant be arsed to read a forum who's main aim appears to be slagging off Tottenham fans. ta ta.

I can see why it appears that way, but we'd happily publish any article defending the recent performance of Tottenham fans.

cant be arsed to read it all, cant be arsed to read a forum who's main aim appears to be slagging off Tottenham fans. ta ta.

Yeah, cause the ones that disagree with the train of thought Lustdoctor has shared are not forthcoming with their resentment against it.

We're slagging off the ones that are slagging the club off. Ironic, no?

I applaud the efforts to try and create a positive atmosphere, but slating large numbers of fans is divisive...as proved by the unfortunate loss of NO1JIB to the forum. He seemed like a good poster, and a decent supporter to me.

When so called bohemian, alternative types get together in a group and start sniping away at the toff in the corner of the pub, they become the "snobs".

There are life long fans, who spend as much money, passion and energy, and feel as much pain and joy as anyone here when it comes to Spurs. Fans that sang their hearts out through the late 90's, and travelled to the San Siro, and Grimsby away, and who have invested as much as their lives to Spurs as the next man.

Some of those people are booing. Are they glory hunters? Cunts? Not real fans?

Who here sang for 90 minutes against Wigan?

People are angry, and kneejerking, but there is a reason to it, and it's got nothing to do with entitlement. People do not see us as having improved from last season, which, to be fair, was the point in all this was'nt it?

While most people here are balanced enough to see that its too early to judge, there have been a few too many ugly problems rearing up in our game this season, and a bizarre reluctance to address it....other than repeating a consistently tried and failed method of packing the midfield and sitting back.

Alot of people did'nt want AVB at all. They did'nt rate him, and in their eyes, they are seeing him do what he did at Chelsea.
Sticking with something that in no uncertain terms isnt working with the players he has.

These people need convincing. They need to see signs of good football. Purposeful football, or they will never warm to AVB and his approach. I dont believe they would boo a defeat, where we tried to play football, and played with heart, and the manager made decision's that showed he is in touch with what this club is about.

He did his homework, and lot's of people swoon over the fact he says "us". But I think Ive only seen the real Tottenham way being played, with the same level of intent as last season, once, for 45 minutes at Old Trafford.

The boo's are wrong. But they are for a reason.

Yes, the reason is the people booing have skewered expectations they alter depending on what's happening on the pitch. Bit different if we were bottom three. Then we'd complain, but then again, we've been shit before and fans have stood and sang with pride for 20/30 minutes non-stop.

I guess this isn't really about football is it? It's about the type of person you are and how you deal with things.

Also - we've hardly got an agenda. Us lot (people on the pod) gravitated together because we had things in common relating to Spurs. Which is why Harry 'let's move to Stratford' Hotspur isn't part of the crew.

As for NO1JIB, don't see why he's decided to go. I've seen plenty of people disagree with our 'thinking' on these forums and like Flav said - write a sodding article and we'll publish it. It's that simple (as long as you articulate the point with some flair).

Our position in the league is good, considering our injuries, new players, new manager etc. But the performances are the problem imo, not the results.

I actually think the atmosphere is poor, because people are bored shitless.

The atmosphere and attitude goes back to the Redknapp seasons too. It's not exclusive to AVB. And again, we're back to this old age argument that you should still turn up to follow and support Tottenham with your heart. It's a Saturday, it's Spurs, it's fucking White Hart Lane! Park Lane use to sing no matter what, especially when the game kicked off. But the 'let's sit back and wait for it to happen' style is what pulls back everyone, including those that do want to sing, then it spreads like a plague across the stadium.

So many years of patience and acceptance, and now we've lost it all. Ugly atmosphere is to best describe it, and it's ridiculous to think that if we start winning handsomely that fans will then stand and claim it's okay to sing and have banter.

Fuck me, imagine if we turned to shit, actual shit and over the course of the next 2 seasons plummeted. Guess much like it's okay to boo now because we're not playing well, it will be okay for people no to bother turning up because 'what's the point?'. And people complaining about the people who don't turn up will be slated for having a dig at them.

*head explodes*

Who slated you?

Its an emotional subject, and while its not right to only sing when your winning, or at least, playing well, we are not the first, last or only club to suffer from it.

Our away fans have been incredible all season. Coincidence? Surprised?

The atmosphere and attitude goes back to the Redknapp seasons too. It's not exclusive to AVB.

I agree, and you may have pointed out the problem. Both managers have a large divide amongst the fans, and both have/had vultures circling over their heads, willing them to fuck up.

Not the ideal premise for a WHL like during the Jol era, when everyone absolutely loved the guy, coupled with the fact we were on the cusp of something new.

since when did it matter how bad spurs played or boring a game can be, thats no excuse for a bad atmosphere. every fan has a duty to support the team and no right to boo if they cant even be bothered to do there bit. Plus no matter how boring a game is i can leave with at least some satisfaction if i have jumped up and down for 90 mins singing my heart out. The atmosphere at the wigan game was embarassing!

since when did it matter how bad spurs played or boring a game can be, thats no excuse for a bad atmosphere. every fan has a duty to support the team and no right to boo if they cant even be bothered to do there bit. Plus no matter how boring a game is i can leave with at least some satisfaction if i have jumped up and down for 90 mins singing my heart out. The atmosphere at the wigan game was embarassing!

This times 10000000. Getting bored of this topic coming up non stop all season.
Wasn't it Gandhi who said 'be the change you wish to see?'
Next game I'm at the lane I promise to sing non stop. Even If I'm on my own. I'll find it really
Embarrassing but at least I'll be setting an example and I guarantee I'll have a better day out than the guy in front of me who moans constantly every week.

Back
Top Bottom