Against Modern Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree about the prohibition of the drum contributing to the atmosphere problem. I remember boring, boring 0-0 games against the likes of Villa and Boro, when there WERE lulls in singing, because there was NOTHING to cheer on the pitch. At those times, the drum would pierce the silence with a BOOM, BOOM, BOOM-BA-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM, YIDS! ...and we'd be off again.

Ah, the rosy tinted spectacles of hindsight. When I looked back at a match report on Spurs Oddyssey for Villa at home from 2001, theres a surprise.....

SATURDAY 28TH APRIL, 2001
FA CARLING PREMEIRSHIP
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 0 (0) ASTON VILLA 0 (0)

Referee:- C. Wilkes

Attendance:- 36,096

Teams:-

Spurs (4-3-2-1):- Sullivan; Carr, Doherty, Gardner, Young; Davies (sub Thelwell, 75), Sherwood (Capt.), Clemence; Korsten, Leonhardsen; Ferdinand (sub Etherington, 75)

Subs not used:- Walker; Hillier; Piercy

Booked:- Young (Foul)

Aston Villa (4-4-2):- James; Delaney, Southgate (Capt.), Barry, Wright; Merson, Taylor, Boateng, Staunton (sub Ginola, 80); Dublin, Vassell (sub Joachim, 80)

Subs not used:- Enckleman (GK); Samuel; Stone

No bookings

Some fickle Spurs fans around me actually started to boo their young side off the pitch at the end of this game. Those boos soon subsided for heartfelt applause for former hero, and true Spur, David Ginola, who as expected, received a standing ovation when he came on with ten minutes left to play. But what about those who booed their own side? Don't they realise that this is a scratch side, drawn from extremely limited resources available at this time? Yes - Willem Korsten had an average game. Yes - Leonhardsen and Clemence suffered at times with woeful touch, but let us look at the positive aspects of this game......

The rest is at
http://www.spursodyssey.com/0001/av280401.html

Fuck me I didn't realise. Only found this site recently and my immediate thought was getting a big drum and well.... it's been a while! :(

Ah, the rosy tinted spectacles of hindsight. When I looked back at a match report on Spurs Oddyssey for Villa at home from 2001, theres a surprise.....

I definately agree that we are going overboard on how great the support was "before" and how bad it is now.

I think both are being exaggerated to some degree.

I definately agree that we are going overboard on how great the support was "before" and how bad it is now.

I think both are being exaggerated to some degree.

I sort of agree, I do think it's more common for it to be shit now though.

When everyone talks about how good the atmosphere at games was a few years back under Jol, I can remember some games back where the atmosphere was well flat, even with the drum. But there were also a lot of games where it was decent.

Going back further, I always remember the atmosphere in the late 90's being much better than it is these days, but that might also be because I was only a kid then.

Not expecting great atmosphere every game, although I would love it, just something other than absolutely nothing.

It's definitely more common now, no team would have been booed off at half time with the score at 0-0 in those days, I think with the likes of Clemence and Vega playing and the ginger Pele Docherty (whether defending or a striker), that scoreline would have been considered ok....

To be honest, football aside, I think people in general are more cunty these days.

Not like when I were a lad etc

People have always been cunty. When you were a lad you just had a lot more dreams to ignore the cuntishness with.

No point in longing for the good old days, these are the good old days. Regardless of the atmosphere in the past we will create a new one.

Back
Top Bottom