Alan Gilzean

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gilzean was the lynchpin of that early 70s team . With Chivers up front, Knowles overlapping crossing , Neighbour off the bench . My father took me nearly to every home game but so young to have a real memory.
I do remember a first team poster on my bedroom wall with the great
man standing out , lots of love to his family in these painful times.

His son Ian was on our books for a while, but never made the first team. Poor sod, he never really had the chance to follow in his dad's boots. I met him once at a Player of the Year dance. When I remarked he didn't much look like his dad, he said no, he took after his mum's side of the family.

In terms of technical ability, sheer skill and 'presence' ...the modern-era Spurs player who most reminded me of Gilzean was Berbatov...

Just a shame HE only hung around for a few seasons and went running as soon as Man Utd came calling... the biggest difference is that Berbatov DIDN'T COMMIT his best years to US!

Dave Mackay, John White and Allan Gilzean:
Our best Scottish players at the club?

I also liked Alfie Conn and was at the Lane in April 1975 against the Chavs when we were struggling but he scored a sublime goal in our win
Not sure but I think it sent them down

Get well soon - old man says best header of a ball he's ever seen. Said he was quite similar both in style of play and looks to Berbatov.

When I met Jimmy Greaves at a Q and A I asked him 'who did you like to play with the most?' He answered Gilzean because he could direct the knock on anywhere, which made life easy for him. Underrated passer of the ball as well.

Back
Top Bottom