Alex Ferguson...!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Genuinely good bloke, very interesting too both on and off the topic of footie.

Fantastic manager of course, rebuilt god knows how many teams to win the title.

Would have been interesting if we'd managed to grab him from Aberdeen. We had some very good players when Burk left. I always felt we were one player short of going toe to toe with Dippers in those days. SAF would just have gone out and got him.
If he was given the time then it would have been us dominating the early 90's and onwards. I am not sure our board would have been so patient though.
However if only's don't pull the cart down the street so there we are.

3402781878.jpg

Welcome back Sir ( and bad 1-1 for the Special Stupid)

That first clip is exactly why he achieved what he did.

And why Pep, Mour and Ancelotti achieved on the same elite level.

As fans, it's so important to get into this sort of headspace and demand more and more from top to bottom.

Mentality is everything.

Yes and no. The first clip is taken when Aberdeen beat Rangers. If you don't know about Sir Alex, he played for Rangers and married a woman of a catholic background and got sectarian abuse for it by his own Rangers supporters despite being from a protestant background himself. Ever since then he really wanted revenge on Rangers. I mean, he really, really wanted to humiliate Rangers. Beating them wasn't good enough, even though they had no right to beat Rangers. His players weren't even playing for Aberdeen that day.

That was a ridiculous season.

5th May - 5-0 win against Kilmarnock in the league.
11th May - 2-1 win against Real Madrid to win the ECWC.
14th May - 5-0 win against Hibs.

We finished the league in 3rd, on goal difference to Celtic and a point behind Dundee Utd.

The Cup Final was on the 21st May, the end of a very busy run of games. Players were fucking knackered. Rangers were utter shite and the match reflected this. Ferguson just said what we were all thinking, but he did later apologise.

Aberdeen were just amazing in the early eighties. Good times.

I think he interviewed or was approached for the Spurs job around the time Pleat got it but never went for it.

Could have been a different world had he taken the job.
Agreed with Scholar to come to Spurs, yes. His missus didn’t want to move, so they stayed up in Aberdeen.

Would have thought his wife would want to move away from the local newsreader that Fergie was regularly pumping, but apparently not.

That was a ridiculous season.

5th May - 5-0 win against Kilmarnock in the league.
11th May - 2-1 win against Real Madrid to win the ECWC.
14th May - 5-0 win against Hibs.

We finished the league in 3rd, on goal difference to Celtic and a point behind Dundee Utd.

The Cup Final was on the 21st May, the end of a very busy run of games. Players were fucking knackered. Rangers were utter shite and the match reflected this. Ferguson just said what we were all thinking, but he did later apologise.

Aberdeen were just amazing in the early eighties. Good times.
Always thought what he achieved at Aberdeen was absolutely amazing.

Him and Jim McLean at Dundee United overachieved massively.

It’s well known that he grew up a massive Rangers fan. I did speak to him once about his time with them, he was very scathing about the Dirsectors there. I’ve read since that one of them asked whether he married in a Catholic Church, actually it was a registry office so apparently “that wasn’t so bad”.

Jock Stein, Cektics greatest ever manager, always said sign the prod because Rangers would never even look at a catholic. He was a prod himself.

I never got the idea that it was only his wife that put the kybosh on him coming to Spurs btw.

Always thought what he achieved at Aberdeen was absolutely amazing.

Him and Jim McLean at Dundee United overachieved massively.

It’s well known that he grew up a massive Rangers fan. I did speak to him once about his time with them, he was very scathing about the Dirsectors there. I’ve read since that one of them asked whether he married in a Catholic Church, actually it was a registry office so apparently “that wasn’t so bad”.

Jock Stein, Cektics greatest ever manager, always said sign the prod because Rangers would never even look at a catholic. He was a prod himself.

I never got the idea that it was only his wife that put the kybosh on him coming to Spurs btw.
Aye, his wife Cathy had the final say I believe. Happy wife, happy life I suppose. I do also think he wanted to win another European trophy too. He’d won the Cup Winners Cup in 83, the Super Cup in 84 (as well as the League and Cup double) and had came close in Europe again. So I doubt it was all down to her.

Sliding doors for both clubs as we ended up with Peter Shreeves and Aberdeen eventually suffered the nightmare of Ian Porterfield. The odd high point aside, pretty much unfulfilled promise from both clubs for the past almost forty years.

Jim McLean was amazing, yes. He was a scary fucker. Looked quite mild mannered until he opened his mouth and had a look that he could put on that turned you to stone. Remember being a ball boy once at an Aberdeen v United match. Must have been 11 years old maybe? just before kick off, he wandered up to me smiling, the turned that look on and growled “no fucking about son, I’m fucking watching you”, keep the gaze on me for what seemed like a month and then strode off. I shat myself. Think I was still shaking the following week. 😂

Back
Top Bottom