All or Nothing Watch-Along: Episode 8

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
All or Nothing Watch-Along: Episode 8BONUS CONTENT! We are running an 'All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur' watch-along and this is episode eight. This is your companion to the show.

Nathan, Bardi and Windy delve into episode eight of Amazon’s documentary about our club. We break down the show in a scene-by-scene analysis.

You've been listening to The Extra Inch, a Tottenham Hotspur podcast.

Production by Nathan A Clark (Twitter @NathanAClark).

Intro music by David Lindmer (David Lindmer).

Artwork by Adam Gardner.

Email us at [email protected].

Become an xSub: The Extra Inch is creating Podcasts | Patreon

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheExtraInch

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheExtraInch/

Twitch:

#Spurs #COYS #THFC

See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.

Good work, as always.

I think you have misunderstood Jose's words about Lo Celso, though. You interpreted them on simple terms: he thought Lo Celso was a talented creator and found out he is also a hard working player - and then, Jose started to like him. I think there's much more to it.

I'm sure Jose already knew that Lo Celso was a very good player - until they started to work together, however, Jose couldn't know how much Lo Celso would offer to his team´s structure. You were probably right in the sense that, at first, Jose saw him as someone who would offer competition to his preferred AM options - Dele Alli and Lucas Moura, especially. (Alli, by the way, was Jose's main project then). What he didn´t know was that Lo Celso could be a fundamental player in the central areas of the pitch. In my opinion, that's what has changed during the course of last season.

Even when things were falling apart (against Leipzig, for example) Lo Celso was there, trying to coordinate the team. Not only working hard - that´s a plus -, but also showing his teammates the directions. He is a very dynamic player, capable of being the focal point of the attacking build up. This is music to Mourinho.

Jose´s two best teams in terms of tactics were Inter and Porto. Functional sides, strong in defense and very organized with and without the ball, defending and attacking. They had many things in common, but above all they had two clear organizers - Sneijder and Deco -, to lead the team´s transitions in the right directions. Both were dynamic and intelligent players as well, who could perfectly understand what their manager wanted from them.

Ozil was/is a different profile of attacking midfielder. Jose said he was "the best number 10 in the world" when he joined Woolwich, but when they´ve worked together at Madrid, the German was more of a second striker. His game was based on individual brilliance - fantastic vision and skills -, but he wasn´t actually organizing the whole side.

At Chelsea, Jose had Fabregas organizing the team from deep - next to Matic in a staggering pivot - and Oscar, again, playing more as a second striker than as a number 10. We don´t even need to look at his tenure at United - they clearly didn´t have such a player at the time.

Now, I´m aware that the number 10 position has changed since Jose´s Porto and Inter days, and Lo Celso is perhaps a more natural number 8. I´m also aware that he is still developing as a player, so I´m not saying he´s at the same level as prime Deco or prime Sneijder.

But what I do see when Jose talks about the Argentinian now, is that he has found a special player in him - and the fact that their relation was highlighted by the Doc is very good news in my opinion.

COYS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom