Always the bridesmaid!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lets just say the Tottenham "project" doesn't quite pan out the way everybody hopes in regards we just don't get over the line with winning silverware on a regular basis no saying we don't win owt but not as regular as other teams! Say the league is out of reach(personally I think it is) but cups and champions league(qualifying) are achieved,say a cup win or final appearances are every other season! But we continue doing what we are doing as regards our manager his philosophy in building a young teams taking our own through,developing them plus adding young talent from other teams and moulding them into a team with the same attitude and ability we currently have all achieved without the ridiculous amounts money spent. But we just don't land the big one......we are there or there abouts but we just don't get to that title of a "winning" team......would you be quite satisfied with that? Remembering how in the past we didn't even know what "project" meant!

We've won two trophies in 25 years.

We have a manager that has transformed us and has us playing to a level we had always hoped would be achieved, with a points finish that would have won us the league in many previous seasons.

Something special is coming, providing he stays and is backed when needed. Then the success will come. Establishing us as a top four team against the odds and competition is a welcome first part of that. Hopefully the rest will follow.

But for me we are playing fabulous football most of the time anyway and it's a pleasure to watch this team develop.

Once the new stadium is built and our financial profile expands we will win trophies sooner or later. Of that I have no doubt. We have been on the right trajectory for it for the past 15 years to create and solidify our position as one of the big teams of the league. PL statistics show that teams who have done that have a far greater trophy haul statistically and the trophies will come. Whether they should come regularly, well that depends on how many people are satisfied with. I hope we do not become like Woolwich or United fans where a trophy isn't good enough if it's not the league or European Cup.

Lets just say the Tottenham "project" doesn't quite pan out the way everybody hopes in regards we just don't get over the line with winning silverware on a regular basis no saying we don't win owt but not as regular as other teams! Say the league is out of reach(personally I think it is) but cups and champions league(qualifying) are achieved,say a cup win or final appearances are every other season! But we continue doing what we are doing as regards our manager his philosophy in building a young teams taking our own through,developing them plus adding young talent from other teams and moulding them into a team with the same attitude and ability we currently have all achieved without the ridiculous amounts money spent. But we just don't land the big one......we are there or there abouts but we just don't get to that title of a "winning" team......would you be quite satisfied with that? Remembering how in the past we didn't even know what "project" meant!

All of that is achievable, with or without the League. The trick is to keep winning and improving, and if we keep improving we keep winning. Winning attracts better players, develops youngsters, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
'If you build it, they will come.' Well we are building it, and who would not want to be part of it? If we can deal with the God awful treatment that we get from the Media and suffer the slings and arrows of Piltdown rival fans, continue to provoke Managers into slagging us off and dance our way on down the road, if we can do all that, then we will succeed.
And nothing succeeds like success.
If we all climb the mountain, then we will surely see the promised land.

I enjoyed the past when we were shite, sounds mad but going week in week out to genuinely support your team to win, when relegation was a fear.

It's great for our kids that they support a team that wins, but I dunno..........

I'm just a miserable old bastard who needs a beer

I enjoyed the past when we were shite, sounds mad but going week in week out to genuinely support your team to win, when relegation was a fear.

It's great for our kids that they support a team that wins, but I dunno..........

I'm just a miserable old bastard who needs a beer
I think that there is a little part of me that doesn't want to win the league, because if we won I would know it would never be like that again. The feeling would be amazing but it would feel like the pinnacle and the smaller joys of football would not feel as important as a result. It is why I wonder what it'd be like to be a Leicester fan, sure they won the league but now every season after feels like a let down. I imagine avoiding relegation for them now doesn't seem like much of an achievement.

I think sometimes the pursuit of greatness is actually more enjoyable than greatness itself.

Let's face it, 9 times out of 10, the Bridesmaid is always prettier than the bride... despite how much money she's spent on her Wedding dress & make-up! *The Bride is the deluded one, only in it for the money, and settling for a disinterested husband who will probably be off in a year or so with the bridesmaid... nah, the Bridesmaid is where all the fun is at! Let's stick with her shall we?

#alwaysthebridesmaid ... fine by me!

* For any internet warriors out there wanting to shoot my theory down...
i'm joking, and happily married, ta!

I think that there is a little part of me that doesn't want to win the league, because if we won I would know it would never be like that again. The feeling would be amazing but it would feel like the pinnacle and the smaller joys of football would not feel as important as a result. It is why I wonder what it'd be like to be a Leicester fan, sure they won the league but now every season after feels like a let down. I imagine avoiding relegation for them now doesn't seem like much of an achievement.

I think sometimes the pursuit of greatness is actually more enjoyable than greatness itself.

I've had a beer and I'm still a miserable bastard, but I hear ya brother....

What sort of time period we talking? Surely if we continued down the same path for the next 20 years, it would be hard for us not to win it - 5 years? I'd be content with what we're doing now for that time period and any title/cup win would be viewed as a bonus when u look at the wealth of the teams around us

Back
Top Bottom