An Historic Day

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1 league cup in 20 years. How come?

• Our owners don't prioritise winning stuff

• They prioritise winning stuff but are making a complete pigs arse of the job

• All our managers have been shite

• We're just the unluckiest club on the planet

Results are only viewable after voting.

John Thomas

LEWIS & LEVY...Screwing Spurs since 2001
12 years ago today, folks, 24 February 2008, Tottenham Hotspur won their last trophy.

A solitary Carling Cup.

In the previous 8 years with Levy at the wheel we won.........Sweet fuck-all

Surely this proves that either our owners don't give a damn about winning stuff, or, if they do, they're making a complete pigs arse of the job.

Such a momentus occassion surely deserves a poll.

For all the cult members, I'll include a third option too.

And a 4th.

Can we rename this thread,
"An John Thomas" Day.
Been a long time since I put on the Dunce Hat at school. I'm pretty sure it should be an "A" not an "An".
I think.
Oh fuck it, I don't know anymore. :mourfacepalm:

I’ll just leave these posts here and let JT work out how he can agree with me that the domestic failings were down to Poch, but it’s ENICs fault

How many trophies do you get for beating the rest of the top 6?
Here’s an interesting fact;

EVERY. SINGLE.ONE of the rest of the top 6 won a trophy during Pochs tenure.

Woolwich x 2 FA Cups

Utd FA Cup, EL, CC, Super Cup

Chelsea FA Cup, Carabou, 2x PL, EL

City FA Cup, 3x Carabou, 2x PL

Liverpool CL

So please explain two things:

1) While we were smashing these sides regularly in the PL, why were we losing to them with mish mash b teams in the domestics?

2) If Jose is past it, yet during Pochs era managed to win the EL, CC and Super Cup Treble with a Utd side that was worse than Pochs Spurs side, and a PL and CC double with Chelsea, then why isn’t Poch also past it, seeing as his best football was also during that era, and yielded fuck all?

Seems like you just null and voided the resources argument here, the final fallacy.
We could “smash” them in the PL and finish above them, but not in semis and finals?
Domestic teams Poch lost to in cups
CL - Liverpool

CC - Chelsea x2 (one Final one Semi) Woolwich, Liverpool, West Ham, Colchester

FA Cup - Palace x2, Leicester, Chelsea (semi) Utd (semi)

So lost to top 6 rivals on seven separate occasions in the cups including two finals and three semis.
Against teams we smashed in the league and finished above regularly.

Must be too much ego in winning something I guess. What gives?

:dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol:

How many more threads with polls is JT going to start to try and get people to agree with his point of view.

Is it 3 or 4 now, I can't remember, definitely 3 I think ?

God loves a trier.

I take it you voted option D?
Nope.
I didn't vote at all.

Why not add a few more options, such as;

"Levy is a tight bald cunt"

or

"I'm desperate to convince people that I'm right, so I'll keep on starting these threads 'till you all agree with me, and then I'll stop"

Thinking about it the last one might be a winner.

Nope.
I didn't vote at all.

Why not add a few more options, such as;

"Levy is a tight bald cunt"

or

"I'm desperate to convince people that I'm right, so I'll keep on starting these threads 'till you all agree with me, and then I'll stop"

Thinking about it the last one might be a winner.
If you haven't voted, thats fine.

But in all seriousness, surely you'll acknowledge that just 1 League cup in 20 years is pretty shocking? It's unprecedented in the clubs history ffs.

So, what do you put it down to? Seriously. I'll add it to the options for you

:dierpochhug:

Anyway 'A' historic day John.....
Yes, I remember it well Paul.

giphy.gif

If you haven't voted, thats fine.

But in all seriousness, surely you'll acknowledge that just 1 League cup in 20 years is pretty shocking? It's unprecedented in the clubs history ffs.

So, what do you put it down to? Seriously. I'll add it to the options for you

Well it isn't "unprecedented in the club's history" we won nothing from 1921 to 1951. 30 years unless you include the 2nd division championship, in which case 29 years.

Seriously though, I think it is a combination of things, such as, but not limited to;

Lack of investment due to the stadium being built (understandable but 2018 was wrong. I've said previously that if we don't invest from now on I'll be in the Levy out camp)
Poor management (not Poch IMO)
Other teams spending power (see the teams that have won trophies on a regular basis)
Squad not good enough in depth (linked to below)
Prioritising CL position (That is probably on Levy, but CL =more money to spend)
A tiny bit of bad luck, but not really worth mentioning (even though I just did :thumbup:)
Mentality ( I don't know if that's down to the players or the management at the time)
Poor game management in big games (see above)

That's just of the top of my head and are open to dispute.

ENIC obviously don’t prioritie winning stuff. They’re an investment company, so they invest in tangible assets like the training ground, housing, a huge supermarket, and the stadium. In that respect they have been incredible, and should be applauded. They’ve transformed Spurs into a global brand with facilities second to none. They absolutely nailed the stadium, and ultimately that will be Levy’s legacy in the club history.

We’ve also gone from being a cup team to one of the major contenders in the league. Paradoxically our least successful period in terms of trophies has also been our most successful in terms of league positions. Very few clubs ever make it to the CL final too.

The bottom line is that ENIC have presided over our least successful period in our history. Better managerial decisions/luck might have seen us have another 3 to 4 cups, which isn’t really on ENIC, but frankly if they’re charging the highest ticket prices in the country they should be backing the club more in the market.

At the end of the day it’s in ENIC’s interest for us to be successful, because they want sold out home games and fans spending lots of money. If we continue to fill the stadium when we’re shite, that’s on the fans.

Back
Top Bottom