And if you know your history

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the early 80s were the best time I had supporting Spurs.
Obv the cups helped but going to every home game.
Great football played
Very good players,
Not always the best players in the world but every single one of them gave everything to the club
Maybe it's rose coloured glasses but there wasn't a prima donna among them, regardless of their individual ability.
Everyone gave 100% on the pitch
Although I went to my first game in 1969, it wasn't until 1981 that I was going regularly and in 1982, I got my first season ticket on the Shelf, think it was something like £65. Joined the Supporters Club and started going away games. Every spare penny, after paying the bills, went on following Spurs. Didn't miss a game for 5 years, until we broke down on our way to Norwich (Ray Clemence's last game). I couldn't afford all the European away games, but managed a couple.
Such happy times, made so many friends, who I still see to this day. My passion for Spurs has never changed, and doubt it will. But can't say that I get the same feeling of real togetherness between the supporters and the players as those days, apart from odd occasions. The ones that immediately spring to mind - the Man C game two weeks ago, the Inter game in the CL, and Real Madrid at Wembley.
Even away games don't have the same feeling anymore (not that I have been to that many since the turn of the century), I used to come away with no voice, but that's not the case in recent times.
Maybe this hankering for a better, simpler time is just a desire to be 25 again :), but football has been taken over and corrupted by SKY, dodgy owners, social media and obscene amounts of money. The gulf between the haves and have nots gets bigger by the day - reflects life, I suppose - and no, I don't have the answer, unfortunately.
Some may say I'm living in the past, I don't think I do, but I do like to visit occasionally.

Today's Facebook memory has pitched up with one year ago today, watching Ardiles levels of banter as we pumped Olympiacos 4-2. Lovely.

In other news, eleven years ago, I was in a gay club in Inverness, full of gin and pills, singing Total Eclipse Of The Heart on karaoke. So there.

I think the early 80s were the best time I had supporting Spurs.
Obv the cups helped but going to every home game.
Great football played
Very good players,
Not always the best players in the world but every single one of them gave everything to the club
Maybe it's rose coloured glasses but there wasn't a prima donna among them, regardless of their individual ability.
Everyone gave 100% on the pitch
Agree. What i loved about it was the amount of players that had come through the ranks, Perryman, Hoddle, Hughton, Falco, Miller, Hazard, Brooke and it felt like a proper connection with the team. Add in Galvin and Roberts from non league and its spot on about no prima donnas.

76-87

Relegation. Promotion. Domestic and European cups. Title challenges. A great mix of hard men and flair players. Ossie and Ricky. Best away support in the country for several seasons both documented and anecdotal. Brilliant away days over land and sea. Yids taking liberties wherever we went. Standing in the home ends at away games and waiting for it to come on top. TBWAH. Players and fans on the same page. They were just blokes like you and me but could play a bit of football.

I’ve only been supported Spurs since 1988/89 when I was 7/8 and it feels very different to me these days compared to what I remember as I child. Maybe that’s partly Rose tinted glasses, but I don’t know.
I only got into Spurs because my brother was going to a match with a friend, his brother and his dad, but the brother was ill that day and the dad asked if I wanted to take his place. It was such a great day out going down on the train in a carriage full of fans, grabbing a burger before the game and then watching the match. I was hooked from then on and started going regularly with them.
One of the key things I remember was the togetherness of the crowd. When I first started going the stadium was still a mostly standing and despite being mostly men in the crowd they were great at looking after the children. We were allowed to push towards the front so that we could see better and everyone kept an eye on everyone else to ensure people weren’t getting crushed or pushed around. Even at that young age you could strike up a conversation with someone or celebrate a goal and it was as if you’d known them for years even though you’ve never met.

The other thing I remember which I’m not entirely sure if I’m remembering correctly is roadshows. I cannot find much reference to these online , but I’m sure I went to a few county fair type things, fetes, etc and there was a Tottenham Hotspur roadshow there. It was basically a trailer with a few training staff who’d do sessions with the kids and a couple of players. I have photos at my parents house of me meeting Gary Mabbutt and David Howells at one of these events. For a young fan getting to meet a couple of your favourite players and actually spend a bit of time with them was amazing.

A little comment for Vinicius, who now owns the match ball from the biggest gap between two teams to ever play against each other in the FA Cup, the ball used for our youngest ever debutant and our youngest ever goalscorer.

Not a bad match ball to own at all that one.

Memories...

spursline.jpg

Back
Top Bottom