Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
The important thing about Andros is, even if the pass wasnt meant for Eriksen, he miss hit a shot, things didnt come off, yet he keeps going, he keeps running and picked that ball up deep and created our winning goal, that alone gives Poch something to work with, see if we can use that mindset and help him develop - keep him

eng_it_730a.jpg

I'm feeling highly and unexpectedly emotional about Townsend leaving. He wasn't amazing but he was good and good enough for us - just a wide player stuck in a system which doesn't need wide players.
It was all worth it just for the moment against Italy when Townsend scored and the first there to congratulate him were his fellow spurs teammates including Kane and Mason, there alongside him in the youth teams for years. He was part of what will hopefully be remembered as a golden era of youth players coming through the Spurs ranks.

And there were moments like this.

Townsend seems to be learning at last that football is not about individual glory. He is using his team mates more rather than going for Gold ala Bale all the time.
Yesterday that run and lay off showed how he is learning.. Last year that would have been a run followed by a shot 43 feet over the bar..
It was a match winning contribution and fair play to him for that.

He was classic Townsend today for me, infuriating lack of end product and bad choices.

If he were just bad all around, you could just write him off as completely useless. It's almost worse that he give you those flashes of talent and promise, but fucks it up 9 times out of 10.

Not to sound cynical or something, but I'm actually glad that this situation involving Townsend has happened. It just gives us another reason to sell him. His playing-style is just so damn irritating! He's mediocre and should be in the next batch of players gone.

Merson wasn't necessarily wrong about Townsend being called up but it was unfair to single him without mentioning Walcott and Welbeck. Walcott is just back from injury and has barely even played and Welbeck has one goal in all of 2015. The argument for Welbeck that he always performs for England is one that can be equally used for Townsend.

As for the tweeting thing, who cares. Players motivate themselves in different ways. Michael Jordan remembered every person who had have slighted him in life and used it to motivate himself all through his career. Maybe a little criticism like that from Merson could help Townsend out. Every player is different. Merson is an epic cunt anyway.

Poch doesn't rate him - that's as obvious as a hard-on in a pair of speedos. he's been told he can leave but he chose to stay and fight for his place under a manager who doesn't rate him. That's fine if when you get a chance off the bench you come on and smash it. when was the last time townsend smashed anything? the fact he's in the england squad says more about the dire state of english football than anything else and the on-going problem of absenteeism and injuries.

I'm worried for Townsend. I wonder if he's suffering from some sort of depression, - He just looks like a beaten man. His hair is all messy and picky, his beard is all scraggly, he can't seem to beat a man when playing football, he's having confrontations with fitness coaches and he can't even seem to get ahead of Joshua Onomah in the pecking order.

Could be the case of being hailed far too early. He had a few good games under AVB, was thrust upon the England scene, scored on his debut and continued to do well. Got injured, couldn't quite gain his place in the team and it's been like that ever since. Sporadic appearances for both Tottenham and England over that period of time all leading to present day.
Well those are the first two signs of depression... receding hairline and scraggly beard...
Oh, that and bathing in your own urine and fighting yourself in the mirror!

Feel sorry for Townsend, he let frustration get to him and it ended his chances at the club. Everyone makes mistakes. I don't think he was going to be good enough for us because although he undoubtedly has ability he never learnt to control his shot and that's something that Poch insists on judging by his signings.

After Kane, Townsend was the player I most wanted to make it at Spurs because he does love the club. But it is best for him that he is moving on and I wish him the best against everyone other than us. It will be nice to see him playing football again, and I love that this is what matters most to him, he loves to be on the pitch. Fair play for that.

Back
Top Bottom