Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Townsend has been our best player so far this season.

1) He averages 5.7 successful dribbles per game. The next closest in the league is Suarez and he has only 3.
2) He leads the team with 1.9 key passes per game and ranks 15th overall in the league in key passes.
3) Despite his massive amount amount of dribbling per game he is only dispossesd a little under 2 times per game. Not even in the top 25 of most dispossessions in the league.
4) He has a top 5 whoscored rating of every player in the Prem this year.

Overall, while his shot selection has been a little reckless, I think he has gotten more selective in recent weeks and has made some pretty quality reverse passes. Furthermore, he really has been unlucky not to get on the score sheet a couple of times. He has had some great saves made against him and just missed a couple of the other times.

Also, he is such a young player that we should be warning him to express himself, take chances, and gain confidence. I know this was something that @ spooky spooky echoed more than once in regards to Bale two seasons ago on the pod. It is important for a young player to be aggressive and we shouldn't begrudge them that in their development.

Townsend has been our brightest spot attacking wise so far this year and while his lack of end product has been frustrating it really should be better if not for some poor luck. He needs to grow and make better decisions but he is young and I think we're already starting to see that.

Lamela and Townsend should be playing together. They both offer something different and dangerous. You allow the float all over the field and make problems for everyone and I think it will make us much more dangerous. It will even get better when Rose is back to provide more natural left side width.

I originally voted to keep him, but I hate to say this, as he is such a huge Spurs fan, I have changed my mind, as I really feel he has lost his way. I thought he was our worst player on Thursday night, against piss-poor opposition. When he came on today, he was still doing those stupid step-overs, which are irritiating at the best of times but when we are 3-0 down........good grief!!! Mind you, he will probably come back to haunt us and save his one spectacular goal a season to beat us!

I've been a reader of this sight, a lurker, or whatever forum goers call it, for a while, and this is the first time I've actually felt a need to say something...

Jesus fucking Christ people, this lad is Tottenham through and through. To give such intense and extreme criticism, is just plain wrong.

Stop scape goating this guy. Yes, he's not perfect, he's not Ronaldo, I know that, you know that, the fucking manager knows that.

Some talk about lamela as the second coming now, after 2/3, admittedly, very good games...but Townsend is not the antichrist...to suggest we have missed out on CL football because of him, I just don't know where to begin.

If that comment is supported in any way, then burn in hell.

There's far too many posters on here, that don't even know the meaning of Tottenham. Potentially, couldn't even find it on a map.

There's even a poster on here, who's first team isn't even Tottenham, yet his 'scouting' of players, his opinion of Tottenham is seen as gospel...

I'll stop anymore biblical analogies...but fuck...who do you people think you are sometimes?!

some posters, I'd suggest, talk about our great, worldly youth, who haven't even played a full match for us, but give this guy so much stick.

This is fucking Tottenham, this is my team, some talk so much shit, no wonder we're seen as an embarrassment to other fans.

I'm ashamed at the above post...phoney fan...end of.

FWIW, Season ticket holder for last 10+ years.

This thread is a great reminder that football supporters are no more loyal to players than players are to supporters. Not that I disagree with the general sentiment (Andros probably isn't the quality that Spurs want and will be moved on) but it'll be the same fonts here that are in an uproar the next time a superstar wants to leave because the club isn't up to their standards.

There's no loyalty in football. None. And it goes both ways.

Sad to see a Spurs fan go but there is no point him rotting in the reserves. Good luck for the future (except when playing against Spurs of course) and no hard feelings about anything.

CZqQWbLWkAAvNkx.jpg:large

Good luck at Newcastle Andros.

The picture of him leaving is sad, but it's a very hard business at the top and the people within it are rewarded commensurately. He'll get over it.

At the club since he was 9 and Spurs through and through. No player I'll root harder for to succeed. Felt such a sense of pride tonight when he scored, incredible.

Still think we should cash in whilst his stock is so ridiculously high.

His end product compared to bale vs how people rate him against bale is off the chart.
And where are we gonna find another british winger at the same price thats actually BETTER than andros?
All that bitching about how low our gomegrown players count is and i hear alot of bullshit about selling probably our best homegrown.

:lamelawtf:

I've always been for keeping him, but he's certainly making it difficult. I feel like his performances are actually regressing! Is that possible? Am I crazy?

He loses the ball endlessly, rarely passes, and he can barely keep the ball long enough to take a mediocre shot anymore. Not sure what the hell is going on with him.

ITV pundits in the studio discussing Townsend and his goal. Hoddle pipes up with "well he's been scoring them like that on a regular basis for Tottenham". A loud snigger is heard from one of the other pundits, off-camera!

Andros Townsend wants talks with Tottenham over his future

England winger is seeking discussions with Spurs this summer following interest from Serie A and a Premier League rival

England’s Turin hero Andros Townsend will seek reassurances over his Tottenham Hotspur future at the end of the season.

Townsend scored England’s equaliser against Italy on Tuesday night andTelegraph Sport can reveal at least one Serie A club are interested in signing the winger.

There is also interest from the Premier League in Townsend, who wants to be clear on where he stands at White Hart Lane before looking at his options.

Having become a regular member of manager Roy Hodgson’s England squad, Townsend is eager to be sure of playing first-team football in the run up to next summer’s Euro 2016 finals in France.

Townsend planned Merson rebuke 'for weeks'

The timing of Townsend’s goal in Turin could not have been better, as an Italian top-flight club have shown an interest in him over the past month and had scouts in the Juventus Stadium stands.

His goal against Italy has put Townsend ahead of Theo Walcott in Hodgson’s plans and the England manager has reaffirmed his belief in the player.
Townsend has been in and out of the Spurs team under Pochettino since missing the World Cup through injury.

He has started the last five successive Tottenham games, but is often the first player to be substituted at around the 60-minute mark.

Pochettino is expected to sign Jay Rodriguez from former club Southampton this summer, which will increase competition in the forward positions at Spurs.

There also remains an issue surrounding £30million record signing Erik Lamela, who was preferred to Townsend during the first half of the season.
Townsend signed a four-year contract with Spurs in October 2013, having scored on his England debut against Montenegro.

There was interest in the 23-year-old from Southampton last summer and the St Mary’s club could look at Townsend again.

Townsend was sent out on loan to nine different clubs before making his breakthrough at Tottenham, where he has made 83 appearances, scoring 12 goals.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has told the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust that the club will look to recruit young players around the £10m-£15m price range this summer.

Rodriguez fits into that philosophy, which underlines the acceptance inside White Hart Lane that signings such as Lamela and striker Roberto Soldado have not worked out for the club.

Levy promised that he will ring fence a percentage of available cash for transfers while Spurs build their new £400m stadium. The club also see holding on to star players such as Harry Kane and goalkeeper Hugo Lloris as a priority.

Having reached an agreement with Archway Steel to purchase the remaining land for the new stadium, Tottenham can now press ahead with the project and work towards securing financing and naming rights.

Spurs are planning for the fact they will have to move out of White Hart Lane and ground share for the 2017-18 season ahead of the new stadium opening in August 2018.

Wembley, the Olympic Stadium, Upton Park and Stadium MK were all under consideration as temporary homes, but THST were told that list has currently been cut down to just Wembley and Stadium MK.
Unsure-Larry-David.gif

Thought Townsend played very well today...especially considering it was his first action in a few months. Our attack was much more in synch when he came on. I think he's definitely earned some time in the upcoming cups.

Back
Top Bottom