Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

'Lost the dressing room' always gets used as an easy cliche but this might be the silliest way of using it I've ever seen. You're looking at football completely linear, In terms of genuinely bad performances this year we've probably had:
- Chelsea (A)
- Newcastle (A)
- Fulham (A)
- Wolves (H)
- Wolves (A)
- Brighton (A)

6 games all year that had no redeeming qualities, we smashed up a high flying Villa 4-0 only 6 weeks ago. Do you really think that's what a team where the manager has 'lost the dressing room' looks like? We finished 8th last year and lost our best ever player on the eve of the season, what were you expecting? I understand our blistering start raised everyone's expectations but why are we punishing the manager/club for starting a season well? Go back to the threads at the start of the year and look what people wanted from this season, literally all of them will say 'play good football and show signs of improvement and I'll be happy'. We've far exceeded that, why have the goalposts moved? I hate how reactionary our online fanbase is, it's embarrassing.

We ‘smashed up a high flying Villa’ with ten men for a long period and scored two late goals and usually been shite since

And this is the real crux of the matter.

We've had Mourhino and Conte and nothing improved. You never got the impression that either of them really gave too much of a shit......they'd been there and done it so they had nothing to prove - we were just a paycheck to them.

With Ange, it's literally shit or bust for him. He has a real chance to build something here and create some kind legacy for himself and Spurs.

It just doesn't happen overnight - we've had glimpses where it's worked and periods where it's been a disaster.

Sooner or later we're going to actually have to stick with a manager.

We get another marquee manager and it'll just be rinse and repeat in 18 months time as we'll never be more than a paycheck for them. All this talk of people wanting Nagelsmann or Tuchel is just utter horseshit for this club as it will be Conte/Mourhino all over again

I agree with most of that and yes we should stick with a manager but Ange isn’t the one imv

To be fair, Venables did inherit a huge mess when he took over. The 86/87 team was completely obliterated in the summer of 87:

- Glenn Hoddle left to join Monaco
- Richard Gough left to join Rangers
- Ray Clemence had to retire through injury
- Chris Waddle was out for several months
- Ossie Ardiles was 35 and injury prone
- Clive Allen's goals dried up when there was no service for him
- huge media circus over David Pleat's private life

The 87/88 playing squad was full of has-beens, injury prone players and players that just weren't good enough. We were also playing with two back-up keepers with neither one good enough for a regular first team place which IMO is a proven recipe for disaster (see Leicester last season). The goalkeeper situation was not resolved until January 1989.

I can't honestly blame Venables for taking a bit more time to get a run of form together after everything he had to deal with.
To go from what I still class as my favourite team in 86/87 to what Venables got after that was night and day.

We've had Mourhino and Conte and nothing improved.
What do you mean nothing improved? I wasn’t Conte biggest fan (I actually preferred ten Hag over Nuno and Conte) but he took us from 9th place, unable to register a shot on target in like 300 minutes, to pipping the scum for 4th and securing a superb 3-0 win in NLD along the way, while playing one of the most enjoyable football since Poch era.

I read somewhere that at the end of the season Conte said to his staff something like “pay attention, we shouldn’t celebrate that much a 4th place”. He was clearly not a manager whose aim was to fight for Champions League spots. He wanted titles.

Maybe we should’ve invested in proper players, not the likes of Lenglet and Richarlison. Don’t know if these players are really what Conte wanted, probably not, but a serious club would’ve pushed for much better quality.

I think at that point Conte realized the club will not match his ambition, plus the death of his staff member probably added to his apathy. That’s just a guess though.
All this talk of people wanting Nagelsmann or Tuchel is just utter horseshit for this club as it will be Conte/Mourhino all over again
Lol… I don’t know about Tuchel, he seems a bit “unstable”, but I would be willing to bet we’d be in a better place if Nagelsmann was our manager. He’s not the Conte/Mourinho type. Would’ve been ideally if we hired him before he got the Bayern job, but I don’t think he would’ve considered Spurs beneath him if he was to take the job last summer.

Last edited:
The key point is “signs of improvement.”

26 points in first 10 games then 34 points in next 24 - including 7 points in the last 7 matches. The complete opposite of improvement.

So people are completely justified in worrying
whether Ange-ball has been found out.
There is a massive difference in worrying, and throwing your toys out of the pram and asking for the manager to be sacked because our first league title win in over 60 years hasn't come immediately after our worst season in decades.

I know you'll probably say 'oh you say that because you're Australian', but time and time again we shit the bed and go after manages too early. It's hurting the club and we keep going down this path I think we'll struggle to attract people.

Q. Did Ange in the last week or so say or imply the club needs to shift/ get rid of some players?
Yeah and I am sitting here thinking what players exactly?

Because from what I have been seeing, nobody in this team is currently on form aside from Romero; Madders has been one of the worst offenders for example.

Not really sure what he is expecting from a rebuild or what he thinks the board will do during the next window? Spend £100m and buy him a title winning side? I mean he has said he wants a title challenge this time next year?

I feel like he was backed pretty well in the last window and if anything he has underperformed the last 3 months with the players we have and I am willing to bet the board and Levy will likely also see it that way if we finish 6th/7th with this kind of form.

Would be different I imagine if we were still playing fantastic football but just getting unlucky or being outplayed but still showing signs of something positive, the Chelsea game was like watching a manager that's been here for years that the players have given up on already.

Go back to the threads at the start of the year and look what people wanted from this season, literally all of them will say 'play good football and show signs of improvement and I'll be happy'. We've far exceeded that, why have the goalposts moved?
Uhh no? We’re playing far from good football… Have you watched us this year or what?

A little surprising so many want him gone. A few years ago Arteta looked clueless at Woolwich and now look what has happened when he was given time. We can’t keep sacking managers every year and a half.

What do you mean nothing improved? I wasn’t Conte biggest fan (I actually preferred ten Hag over Nuno and Conte) but he took us from 9th place, unable to register a shot on target in like 300 minutes, to pipping the scum for 4th and securing a superb 3-0 win in NLD along the way, while playing one of the most enjoyable football since Poch era.

I read somewhere that at the end of the season Conte said to his staff something like “pay attention, we shouldn’t celebrate that much a 4th place”. He was clearly not a manager whose aim was to fight for Champions League spots. He wanted titles.

Maybe we should’ve invested in proper players, not the likes of Lenglet and Richarlison. Don’t know if these players are really what Conte wanted, probably not, but a serious club would’ve pushed for much better quality.

I think at that point Conte realized the club will not match his ambition, plus the death of his staff member probably added to his apathy. That’s just a guess though.

Lol… I don’t know about Tuchel, he seems a bit “unstable”, but I would be willing to bet we’d be in a better place if Nagelsmann was our manager. He’s not the Conte/Mourinho type. Would’ve been ideally if we hired him before he got the Bayern job, but I don’t think he would’ve considered Spurs beneath him if he was to take the job last summer.
I thought Nagelsmann told us to jog on when we enquired?

Call me naive, but I thought the signings of Maddison, Vicario and VDV were mini masterstrokes... in addition to reintegrating Sarr back into the squad (him and Biss were pretty much periphery figures under Conte)

Udogie has shone at times, Porro has improved no end... Johnson showed real promise early on, Bentancur was back... TWICE!

It's only really our front players like Kulu, Son and Richie who have dropped off so drastically ... Remember the consecutive Goalscoring run...? That feels like another season now!

It seems that since the Chelsea home game fiasco EVERYTHING changed...

ONE game, made all the difference.

The problem is that we ALLOWED ONE game to do such damage the rest of our season....

That HAS to be a mentality thing, no?

A little surprising so many want him gone. A few years ago Arteta looked clueless at Woolwich and now look what has happened when he was given time. We can’t keep sacking managers every year and a half.

Football fans are the most fickle people on this earth.

We start playing well again and go on a winning run, he’ll be god again.

There’s a small group of people who are probably happy at the moment, because they never wanted him in the first place and feel like they’ve been proven right. They don’t want to give him a chance because they’ve already made up their mind about him

I was happy when we appointed Ange. Thought it was a positive step away from Jose/Conte/Nuno and he would return to our attacking roots. Was well up for it. What I am concerned about is the repetitive mistakes and apparent unwillingness to adapt. I don't want the guy out either, I just don't see the point of that approach, I would give A. a shake at building a team first.

Back
Top Bottom