Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A little surprising so many want him gone. A few years ago Arteta looked clueless at Woolwich and now look what has happened when he was given time. We can’t keep sacking managers every year and a half.
To be honest I'm gobsmacked but not surprised that so many would be prepared to jump ship from Ange already.

Not disagreeing its its gone bad recently but I don't see yet another short term change is the best way forward. We as the fans are our own worst enemy as the moment its not working we are calling for change. He can't change the entire culture at the club that quickly and there will be setbacks.

The man has had the bulk of one summer window and a January one to change the playing staff. There has also been huge changeover in the scouting setup. This year has told him who he can trust and work with and I expect change. I also think we are more likely to get it as he is not demanding premium price footballers but ones with character he can trust so not necessarily the most expensive.

We have a man who clearly gives a shit about the club not just their own reputation unlike the Conte and Mourinho.

Back the manager. If we are still in this position in a year then I am worried.

Go back to the threads at the start of the year and look what people wanted from this season, literally all of them will say 'play good football and show signs of improvement and I'll be happy'. We've far exceeded that, why have the goalposts moved? I hate how reactionary our online fanbase is, it's embarrassing.
Stop lying. A lot of the losers did, yes. But a lot of fans who are more interested in seeing our club winning said absolutely no such thing.

How quickly things change. Everyone now saying we lost Kane in the summer had a completely different opinion back then.
Losing Kane was a “blessing in disguise”.
“We replaced Kane with a system”
“Kane can’t press”
“Kane wouldn’t understand Anges tactics”

Football fans are the most fickle people on this earth.

We start playing well again and go on a winning run, he’ll be god again.

There’s a small group of people who are probably happy at the moment, because they never wanted him in the first place and feel like they’ve been proven right. They don’t want to give him a chance because they’ve already made up their mind about him
I don't ever want Spurs to lose but I would be in the group that never wanted him.

How quickly things change. Everyone now saying we lost Kane in the summer had a completely different opinion back then.
“Kane can’t press”
“No player understands Anges tactics”

Fixed it for you

:ange-blow:

“Kane can’t press”
Really???!!!!! 😂

I don’t recall anyone thinking it was a blessing in disguise.

There were thoughts that Kane would struggle to press with the right intensity, and I think that would probably have been the case, but I really don’t think much of what else you are claiming was said by ‘everyone’!

If anything I think most people thought that Kane would be extremely prolific in an Ange system.

Really???!!!!! 😂

I don’t recall anyone thinking it was a blessing in disguise.

There were thoughts that Kane would struggle to press with the right intensity, and I think that would probably have been the case, but I really don’t think much of what else you are claiming was said by ‘everyone’!

If anything I think most people thought that Kane would be extremely prolific in an Ange system.

Kane is a top goal scorer and would fit in anywhere

Even Angeball!

“Kane can’t press”

Kane is a world class player, IMO more deserving of the ballon d'or than Bellingham at least individually (it’s an individual award although I think there is bias towards certain teams). However we also had a backline of Dier, Sanchez, Royal and now have better players.

You cannot improve a team as is by losing a player like Kane unless someone like prime Messi or Ronaldo are the replacements. However you can buy and improve other positions so the overall team is better or at least as good.

If we had bought VDV and Maddison while keeping Kane I think we would at least be 4th as Kane turns defeats into draw and draws into wins, he is just that level of player.

Issue we have as a club is whack a mole. We have a great player like Kane or Bale but don’t fix our weak areas until said player has been sold. You cannot build a winning culture with that.

The problem is, he does have a bit of a cult like following in the same way Jose did, you have people who just want him to stay because he's a chirpy aussie bloke who says mate a lot and you also have people who dislike him and want him gone for that very reason, then you have people just disagreeing with others who want to be "right" and it's more about their own ego than anything related to the football club.

But on the flipside, you have people who think he deserves more of a chance to prove himself which I think is a fair position to take, you also have people who doubt he is up to the task and can see it ending badly based on months of results and what he has said he requires which is also, imo, a fair position to take.

Just like with everything in life, it's not always black and white, the people who view it as black and white are likely part of the first paragraphs groups.

If you are one of those people, please take a step back and try to understand that logical people have reasons they wish to keep him here (changing managers hasn't achieved much for us in recent years, he's only been here a short period of time etc.)

Logical people also have reasons to doubt things will work out long term (reluctance to change his strategy and stubbornness regarding set pieces etc, asking for change at squad level when current squad is underperforming considering the signings already made for him.)

Don't allow the people in the first paragraph to hijack discussion because those are extreme views on issues and sensible discussion is always had in the middle on pretty much any issue in life imo.

The problem is, he does have a bit of a cult like following in the same way Jose did, you have people who just want him to stay because he's a chirpy aussie bloke who says mate a lot and you also have people who dislike him and want him gone for that very reason, then you have people just disagreeing with others who want to be "right" and it's more about their own ego than anything related to the football club.

But on the flipside, you have people who think he deserves more of a chance to prove himself which I think is a fair position to take, you also have people who doubt he is up to the task and can see it ending badly based on months of results and what he has said he requires which is also, imo, a fair position to take.

Just like with everything in life, it's not always black and white, the people who view it as black and white are likely part of the first paragraphs groups.

If you are one of those people, please take a step back and try to understand that logical people have reasons they wish to keep him here (changing managers hasn't achieved much for us in recent years, he's only been here a short period of time etc.)

Logical people also have reasons to doubt things will work out long term (reluctance to change his strategy and stubbornness regarding set pieces etc, asking for change at squad level when current squad is underperforming considering the signings already made for him.)

Don't allow the people in the first paragraph to hijack discussion because those are extreme views on issues and sensible discussion is always had in the middle on any issue imo.

Annoys me that everyone has to have a label (Ange in, Ange Out, Ange Cultists) and use it as a stick to beat others with.

We’re all Spurs fans and should want the best for the club, surely that’s the most important thing?

Annoys me that everyone has to have a label (Ange in, Ange Out, Ange Cultists) and use it as a stick to beat others with.

We’re all Spurs fans and should want the best for the club, surely that’s the most important thing?

Agreed so if some want Ange Out they are maybe saying so because they think that it would be best for the club

Some of Ange’s defenders are the most hostile you’ll find if you look at some of the comments

Some of the Ange outers are hostile too

Will Grace Debbie Reynolds GIF

Don't allow the people in the first paragraph to hijack discussion because those are extreme views on issues and sensible discussion is always had in the middle on pretty much any issue in life imo.

Fans can think what they want, it all opinion. My opinion is that we should only have a manager that wants attacking football, that is who we are as a club, it’s our identity. I can’t come to terms with a defensive manager at Spurs, it’s like putting chocolate on pizza it’s just wrong.

Secondly at some point our club have to actually back a manager and see it through. The reason our squad is always square peg round holes is we never pick a direction, it’s weak piss from the top. I have no idea if Ange is the man, fuck Pep could manage us and fall on his arse and come 8th. We are a fucking hard club to manage and we break managers. At some point the club need to back a manager with players that fit what he wants, see us through the tough times and not give in to player power.

At some point we have to think fuck top 4, let’s build something that might take 2-4 seasons and actually be ready to fight for a title or at least a cup.

We need to become an easy club to manage from board level like City or sadly Woolwich. Then we might see change. Let’s hope this new structure is the first step.

Most definitely and most people in good faith have their own ideas of what is best for the club and that should be ok.

Obviously you have people who have a cult like dedication in life to managers, players, hell even brands etc, those people are in the extreme minority however for the most part.

Like if you said to me "I think we should give Ange more of a chance, he hasn't been here long and I think changing managers all the time hasn't done us any good plus he has shown signs that he can get a team playing excellent football"

I would say those are logical points.

But if I said back to you "Whilst I agree we change managers too often, there are worrying signs for me that he might not be up to the task and I feel his reluctance to address issues like set pieces alongside the form we are exhibiting towards the end of the season and his talk of wanting change which I feel he won't get with our owners makes me feel it will end badly"

I also think that is a logical and valid position to take.

I don't see either of those as extreme positions, they fall more into the "let's see; I feel positive/negative about this" category.

However, you do have people who just call him a fat aussie cunt and just want him gone etc and people who absolutely love him because of his no shit honest attitude towards the press and his aussie "mate" like character, I think those positions are irrelevant to the football and based on emotion rather than logic.

I don't care how the man speaks personally or what he looks like or how he behaves towards the press, all I care about is seeing signs of the football improving and getting results, I want to be able to see signs of growth not signs of turbulence.

If we have a strong end to the season, not even in terms of results or wins, just visibly seeing that we are attempting to play decent football then I will be more willing to have hope he can turn things around.

If we get more performances like Chelsea then I don't think that bodes well personally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom